Self Defense Systems

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend for practical self defense for a novice? I'm liking knife fighting systems like Silat

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
A wise woman once asked?

"What good is a knife at a gunfight?"

Not everyone is ok with getting their Dirty Harry on.. So I always think it best to learn a good martial arts technique. That way you feel safe and capable without the use of weapons.

People who constantly feel vulnerable are usually the ones who use over excessive force when defending themselves. Which is how drunken fights turn into years spent in prison.

Which in some countries makes money. So they want to send you there.

The Gardener

Reaction score
A good pistol and a good rifle.

Try to stick with NATO-standard ammo... it will be easiest to procure.

s.a.f

Reaction score
mulder said:
What would you guys recommend for practical self defense for a novice?

Being smart enough to avoid trouble. :whistle:

HughJass

Reaction score
What would you guys recommend for practical self defense for a novice?

Colon Cleanse®

CCS

Reaction score
I agree with SAF. If you know fighter types frequent an area, don't go there. Be aware of your suroundings. If you meet someone and something seems off about them, take a step back or something. You will get much further by tricking them into thinking they don't need to fight you, than by confronting them right away. You can usually figure out who has a grudge against you and use common sense to avoid the fight. That does not mean you should not retaliate with legal means later, or warn your friends about them. Just time and plan your moves. No martial arts program will make you beat everyone, or prove to the police that you were in the right. Much better to just use your head.

CCS

Reaction score
The best martial arts moves won't help you if someone is stronger than you and careful. Martial arts only helps if they are the same strength as you, or they are not expecting you to put up a fight and then you surprise them. You got to be faster than someone to land your fist on them, unless you are attacking by surprise. If you just want self defense, work on your reflexes, read a bit about a few basic weak spots, and workout at the gym. You'd have to be a master of martial arts to remember all those moves in a fight.

There definitely are some basic principles and moves you should know. Wrestling is fun too. And a good workout.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS part of martial arts is using someones size and strength against them.

You do not need to be stronger then someone to defeat them in battle. Oftentimes someone who is strong is also arrogant. These people start making mistakes before they even start the fight.

The moves become a natural physical extension, it's not a math problem. Not about remembering how to specifically do something. It comes naturally with practice.

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
The best martial arts moves won't help you if someone is stronger than you and careful. Martial arts only helps if they are the same strength as you, or they are not expecting you to put up a fight and then you surprise them. You got to be faster than someone to land your fist on them, unless you are attacking by surprise. If you just want self defense, work on your reflexes, read a bit about a few basic weak spots, and workout at the gym. You'd have to be a master of martial arts to remember all those moves in a fight.

Wow me and CCS actually agree on something!

But just to add martial arts are in general a complete load of bollocks, its just a sport, it wont turn you into an invincible fighter or make you somehow able to beat most other men.
There really is no substitute for physical size and strength.

There are other factors that can have an impact such as age, health and natural agressivness but its only going to make a moderate diffence.

I have personally seen on several occasions guys who teach martial arts get their arses kicked by guys with no kind of fight training.
If a 5'8 140lbs guy gets into a fight with a 5'11 180lb guy the bigger guy will win 99/100 times.

Too many people watch martial arts movies and get taken in by it, at the end of the day a normal guys best hope is to just avoid confrontations. If some 200lb thug is threatening to knock you out the chances are he probably can, and some bullshit moves that some guy in his pyjamas showed you are'nt going to help when he's pounding your face to smitherines.

kadosh

Established Member
Reaction score
just run fast . and a kick in the balls can give you a good head start .

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
CCS said:

But just to add martial arts are in general a complete load of bollocks, its just a sport, it wont turn you into an invincible fighter or make you somehow able to beat most other men.

There are other factors that can have an impact such as age, health and natural agressivness but its only going to make a moderate diffence.

I have personally seen on several occasions guys who teach martial arts get their arses kicked by guys with no kind of fight training.
If a 5'8 140lbs guy gets into a fight with a 5'11 180lb guy the bigger guy will win 99/100 times.

Too many people watch martial arts movies and get taken in by it, at the end of the day a normal guys best hope is to just avoid confrontations. If some 200lb thug is threatening to knock you out the chances are he probably can, and some bullshit moves that some guy in his pyjamas showed you are'nt going to help when he's pounding your face to smitherines.

Ridiculous. That guy clearly did not have proper training. Size is irrelevant if you know what your doing.
I've seen well trained guys that come in at roughly 5'4 take down guys 6'1. There's is no universal rule. Size only helps if the smaller guy has as much knowledge as the bigger guy does. Same theory applies with strength.

Martial arts certainly do not make you invincible. But pretending as if their benefits are simply myth is a falsehood. Martial arts in films are meant to be flashy, so obviously it doesn't actually work that way. But the fundamental techniques are sound.

You can be as strong or as large as you want, a behemoth if you wish. But someone well trained would never even be touched by a lumbering 200 pound fool.

Not that fighting is a good thing anyway. It's not cool to go around kicking the sh*t out of people.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Krav Maga will give you all you need.
:agree:

If you could load these babies into a .40 S&W cartridge or a glock then your pritty much set without getting your hands dirty :mrgreen:

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
CCS said:

And I must add:
The person who wants to do the most damage soonest usually wins the fight. If you act really nice to someone so you can get in close and poke out their eyes, or if you are standing over their shoulder and act like you want to point to something on their computer screen, but instead you grab their chin and stap their neck, you win, 9/10. That is the sad things about fights. You might not want to hurt the other person, and are just defending yourself, but the person who wants to kill the other person first, and is smart enough to hide that desire in their body language, has a big advantage. You want to know the best fighting skill? It is not self defense. It is surprise attack. Only use it after peaceful negotiations and avoidance and other measures seem to fail, and do not tell them it is coming. But if they are doing the same thing, acting peaceful, you won't even know you need to use it. Only the truly wise and truly evil can use it. The other thing about surprise attack is you go to prison for a long time unless you ditch the body in the right dumpster and kill the witnesses.

There is a true statement: "Do not get revenge unless your revenge is so great that you do not need to fear their revenge." Do you really want to get all paranoid and take it to that level, and hide from the cops? Then take advice from SAF and I: avoid mean people, blend in to the background, get your friends away from too, or get new friends if your friends like to fight. If you think really hard and use your brain, you can see stuff coming and avoid it, and protect yourself in non-physical ways. Most fighters do not think stuff through, and most judges do not sympathize with low self control people.

And once you fight, it goes on your record and you can't get a job for years. Think about that one.

Also, all the martial arts training you do has rules. You are trained to just stand 3 feet away from someone and throw punches, etc. In a real fight, you tackle the other person, bite, and poke out their eyes, as fast as you can. You break their fingers or go for any and every weak spot you can as fast as you can before they can do it to you. If you limit yourself to what you learned in fighting class, you will lose the fight.

Now, fighting class can hone your reflexes and such. I was boxing someone, and my instructor pointed out to me that all my jumping around and spinning and flailing was not succeeding at landing a fist on my partner, but was opening me to attack and putting me off balance while he barely moved and still landed punches on me, and his arms were no faster than mine. So an instructer can make you a bit more efficient. And there are a few extra moves you can have in your tool belt for pinning people are getting them off you in a pin. So I do suggest some basic wrestling and boxing just so you have an idea, and get some exercise. But beyond that, a lot of it is just size and power and speed, which you can't change.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Eureka said:
SAF said:

Ridiculous. That guy clearly did not have proper training. Size is irrelevant if you know what your doing.
I've seen well trained guys that come in at roughly 5'4 take down guys 6'1. There's is no universal rule. Size only helps if the smaller guy has as much knowledge as the bigger guy does. Same theory applies with strength.
You can be as strong or as large as you want, a behemoth if you wish. But someone well trained would never even be touched by a lumbering 200 pound fool.

Obviously I knew that someone would dispute this so here are the examples. Of course you probably wont believe me but still ...

1st example:

When I was 12 I used to go to Taekwondo lessons, I cant remenber the guys name (it was 22 yrs ago) but he was supossedly some kind of world champion, he was a 6th dan black belt and loved showing us his photo albums of him in America and Japan with 'grandmasters' in dumbass shirtless poses with samurai swords.
Anyway this guy had a massive ego and used act as if we should all be gratefull to be in the same room as him.
One day he got into an arguement with one of the students and really went off on him shouting and screaming and when the student said something back to him he grabbed this 13 yr old kid by the throat and pinned him up against the wall still screaming in his face.
Anyway he dropped the kid (who by now was crying) and the kid ran off home.
The lesson continued with the instructor telling us all what a loser that kid was ect ect.
About 20 mins later the door flys open and in storms this kids dad! He grabs the instructor drags him across the room and throws him down on a table shouting "You touch my kid again and I'll f*****g kill you".
The instructor who's face has now gone bright red, just acts totally submissive and says "OK" until the guy lets go and leaves.
The instructer then spent the rest of the class hidden in a back room while another student carried on in charge.
Needless to say me and my freinds did'nt bother going much longer after that incident.

2nd Example

Guy I know who's been doing Karate and MMA since he was about 15, has trophies for it ect gets his photo in the local paper for a tournement. He gets into an arguement in a Cinema queue with this other guy. His mate says "dont mess with him he knows MMA" the guy just laughs and says "cmon then knock me out".
So the Karate guy goes into some stupid Bruce Lee stance and tries a roundhouse kick. The other guy just takes the kick on his shoulder and throws a punch, decking him infront of the who cinema queue.

3rd Example:

A guy at work who does range fighting is showing off some moves to us when a bigger guy (in his 50's) who was watching in the background sneaks up behind him grabs him and pins him to the floor. Absolutley nothing he could do against a bigger stronger guy.

Its like the kids who argue that Bruce Lee would've beaten Tyson its all bullshit. Or 120lb women who do self defence classes and believe that they could fight off a 200lb rapist by stamping on his foot and palming him on the chin, the truth is they would'nt even feel it. Martial arts are extremly limited as to what they can do. When it comes down to it they are no substitute for power.

CCS

Reaction score
In the first example, the instructor knew he was in the wrong and knew that fighting the father would land him in jail or in a law suit.

The second example is the most convincing.

The third example just shows that once a big guy grabs a small guy, there is nothing the small guy can do to get out of it. Any fighting ability they have is limited to while fists are flying. And small guys have shorter reach, and must get in close to hit, which means they are opening themselves up to getting grabbed.

As for a lumbering 200 pound fool, yeah, if they really are that lumbering, but the average guy is not. Fact is you'd have to be very well athletically trained to out do an average big person. The fact someone is smaller and must get in close to strike means they will get hit back. You can move your arms much faster than you can move your torso, so once you get in close enough to hit, you won't be able to jump back fast enough.

Think about it: muscle has so much power per pound, unless you are genetically gifted. So in order for you to be as strong as someone else, you got to be one stocky small guy. Most of the short power lifters look like a ball of muscle. If someone weighs half as much as your max lift, you can through them around.

When I was in the marines, my squad leader, and small guy, punched me in the stomach several times, increasing as we went, while I flexed. He had to hit close to as hard as he could before I finally told him it hurt. He then said, "It better hurt. That would've hurt me." I'm sure if one of the bigger guys had punched my stomach I would've died.

CCS

Reaction score
My self defense plan: have a keychain sized pepper spray where they can't see it and you can get it fast. Make sure you know how fast and straight it sprays. If you know they will attack, spray them and run. Do not spray and fight, since the spray will just shock them but might not keep them shocked long. Avoid that if you can, especially if you will see them again.

I once asked one of my coworkers what the best fighting art is. He said "Judo: judo know if I have a knife, judo know if I have a gun."

s.a.f

Reaction score
CCS said:
In the first example, the instructor knew he was in the wrong and knew that fighting the father would land him in jail or in a law suit.

Nah, he just sh*t himself.
Think about it he could have pleaded self defence since the father was attacking him infront of about 20 witnesses.
And considering he was a supoosedly 'world class' instructor you'd of thought that he could have just simply blocked or restrained the guy or even got out of the hold without having to resort to fighting. He obviously knew that his martial arts were not very effective in a real fight. Probably had his arse kicked before.