Scheduled 3000 Graft Fue Hair Transplant With Dr Rahal

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'll be getting a 3000 graft FUE hair transplant and PRP with Dr Rahal at the end of the month. I thought I'd start this thread for anyone who wants to follow my progress. Density will be 60 cm², and will cover zones 1-4. As per my request, he was kind enough to tell me which technicians will be working with him during the procedure and their years of experience.

The team working with Dr. Rahal include:
Mike, 16 years experience working with Rahal
Alice, 9 years experience working with Rahal
Fei, 20 years experience working with Rahal
Xi-Ping, 17 years experience working with Rahal
Fiona, 23 years experience working with Rahal
Mike and Alice will be doing the extracting and actually touching my head.

Wish me luck :)

top.png
left side of hair copy.png
right side of hair copy.png
front hair copy.png
angle right front.png
angle right back.png
back small.png
angle left front.png
angle left back.png

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just finished post-op day two and thought I would share some pictures and my thoughts. Before surgery Dr Rahal was very attentive with my case. We discussed my hair goals in detail and he modified the surgical plan and hairline until I was completely satisfied and informed. We set some very realistic and candid goals. I had a lot of area to cover (86cm2), my hair diameter is average, and my donor hair area would only allow for around 3000-3300 grafts. I don't think my head of hair was an easy case, so a good final result will be a true testament of Dr Rahal's skill. In the end I was very very happy with the plan we decided on.

During surgery I had an incredible experience with Dr. Rahal and his team. One of the great things about his clinic is he works with only a couple teams of staff so the people working on your head are the same people who produced the results you see online. They are exceptionally experienced and talented. I never felt rushed, and they were focused on the procedure the entire time. Post-op day 1, I had asked the receptionist for some clarification regarding the graft count, and both Mike and Alice came in special to answer my questions the following day (These were days that no surgeries were scheduled, meaning they came in just to go over the chart with me). I've worked in the healthcare industry my entire professional career. This level of patient attention is exceptionally rare.

I only have good things to say about my experience. Now for the pictures.

20190801_213808.jpg
20190801_214914.jpg

Attachments

• 20190801_213829.jpg
    20190801_213829.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 730
  • 20190801_213848.jpg
    20190801_213848.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 686

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Work looks to have been done cleanly, nice hairline shaping as well.

Mind me asking your current age?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
In those numbers posted you said you would be getting 60cm2 density but it says 36? What does the 36 mean? You are a diffuse thinner so your case will be very interesting to follow. Please keep us posted. Happy growing!!!

S14a

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did the Dr do any work to your head, or just one of his teams? How much per graft, good luck!

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
In those numbers posted you said you would be getting 60cm2 density but it says 36? What does the 36 mean? You are a diffuse thinner so your case will be very interesting to follow. Please keep us posted. Happy growing!!!

The 36 graphs cm2 is only transplanted follicular units (FUs). In my thin areas I had about 10-15 native FUs, which should result in a combined 46-51 FU cm2. My initial consult was through pictures and skype so getting an exact approximation for a diffuse thinner isn't really possible. You need about 100-120 hairs cm2 to have the appearance of FULL hair density. I'll be at 84 hairs cm2 transplanted + native hair. I've seen a patient of Dr Rahals with this same hair density transplanted (84 cm2) and it looks very good.

With my average graph producing 2.3 hairs, and with future expected hair loss of the native hair in the recipient area I assume I'll need another transplant giving me an additional 20 FU cm2 in the current recipient area for a very full hair density. That would mean another transplant of 1720 graphs (if I only need to cover the same amount of area, 86cm2). I'm guessing my hairloss area will expand and I will likely need to cover 105cm2. If I get 40 FU cm2 in the new recipient area and 20 FU cm2 in the old recipient area I'll need around 2480 grafts in a second transplant.
I will be getting SMP in the current donor site so I can be more aggressive with harvesting in a future transplant and SMP in the recipient area so I won't quite need 100 hairs cm2 to have a full dense appearance. Is 2480 more graphs feasible in a second transplant for me? With SMP in the donor area I think so.

The reality for us who are diffuse thinners that will end up receding to a Norwood 5-7 is 1 transplant will most often not be enough for an outstanding result long term. Am I happy with the potential result of this 1 transplant? YES! Already I'm basically promised a great hairline for the next 10 years.

Last edited:

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did the Dr do any work to your head, or just one of his teams? How much per graft, good luck!
Mike did the extractions. Dr Rahal did the incisions. And Alice and another tech did the insertions. Each person has been doing their specific job for YEARS at this same clinic. Don't get caught up with who has MD after their name. This is the team formula that has produced their advertised results.
Payment is calculated in Canadian dollars which made this clinic very affordable. I think I paid just under US$15,000 and that included PRP. I honestly think he could raise his prices.

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is my 2 week update. Most of the scabs are off. There was a section at the apex of my scalp that one of the techs debrided 6 days post op. That area still has some scabbing, but it looks as though the hair grafts stayed in tact. All in all things seem to be growing in nicely. Since I am a diffuse thinner I'll be interested to see how much permanent shock loss I'll have of my native hair.
20190813_130539.jpg

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is my 4 week update. My shedding is in full force. Lol I was kind of hoping to dodge this phase. My next post will probably be at the 1.5 month mark. Then 2 month. then 3 month.
20190826_144244.jpg

ICUman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there... I had an FUT done with Dr. Rahal last fall and will be returning next year sometime for FUE and additional reinforcement. His work is fantastic and I'm very pleased. I'm at 10 months post op now and my hairline looks great. Hang in there through this phase and your results will come with time. The hardest part is waiting and wishing for results, which do come. Keep us posted with photos! I also traveled from the USA and paid a similar amount. Although I hope he does not increase his prices! Lol. By the way did you have much facial swelling? Immediately post-op I sure did. Looked like an alien for a week. No regrets.

clarkbl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought I would give everyone an update with the photos I have closest to the 6 week mark, 2 month mark, and 3 month mark.

Attachments

• Sept 6 2019.png
    Sept 6 2019.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,042
  • sept 23 2019.png
    sept 23 2019.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,036
  • oct 28 2019.png
    oct 28 2019.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,204

JohnP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your monthly results please continue I’m very interested in your progress as I’m also considering Dr Rahal for an FUE. I do have a few questions...
  1. I may have missed it in your thread but did you take any medication before getting the hair transplant and for how long? Or are you now taking Propecia/minoxidil/supplements etc.?
  2. In your earlier thread you said ‘my donor hair area would only allow for around 3000-3300 grafts’ but later you mention the possibility of getting another hair transplant, how much donor grafts do you have left?
  3. Can you explain the PRP treatment you received, I read there are few different types, how many PRP sessions did Rahal recommend? How much for the PRP? Thanks!

Baldy McBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your detailed experience! I'm considering Dr Rahal and has been following your thread. How's your hair coming along? I think you're supposed to be on the 5 month mark now.