Scared To Stop Finasteride - Started Legit Dutasterise

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride and dutasteride together for the past 5 years. But the dutasteride was from Inhouse.

4 months ago I got a legit prescription for dutasteride so I switched to that. So now I'd like to stop the finasteride but I'm scared I might lose any benefit I was getting from finasteride.

I know that dutasteride reduces DHT by 90% and finasteride by 70%. But combined we don't really know how much DHT is inhibited. Anyone know?

Anyone else been in the same situation?

I've been maintaining and I don't want to take a bad decision.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did you switch to dutasteride ?? Was finasteride not maintaining or not strong enough ?? Also, using both finasteride and dutasteride is a smart choice to let dutasteride build up to its steady state (takes at least 3 1/2 months), before hopping off finasteride.

dutasteride+finasteride won't inhibit more DHT than dutasteride alone, and that's because dutasteride would always overpower finasteride and the inhibiting would shift to the stronger drug.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone else been in the same situation?

I've been maintaining and I don't want to take a bad decision.

yes, me.

I'm afraid to quit finasteride (even though I'm also on Duta) especially now that I'm seeing hundreds of new vellus hair on my hairline + temple (plus my hair is getting thicker by the day). I can't give you an specific reason as to why I'm afraid to quit finasteride -- I just am

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride+finasteride won't inhibit more DHT than dutasteride alone, and that's because dutasteride would always overpower finasteride and the inhibiting would shift to the stronger drug.

Any evidence of that?

Me too am seing good results and dont want to screw everything up. Stability is key

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride will inhibit all the DHT that Finasteride does plus 20% more. It affects both types of the alpha reductase enzyme, so it's pointless to take both medicines at the same time.

Start reducing the dose of Finasteride slowly, 1 pill less each week. Within 7 weeks, you will have dropped Finas and be just on Dutas.

And don't worry. Nothing is gonna happen. Dutasteride is just the stonger version of Finas.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes, me.

I'm afraid to quit finasteride (even though I'm also on Duta) especially now that I'm seeing hundreds of new vellus hair on my hairline + temple (plus my hair is getting thicker by the day). I can't give you an specific reason as to why I'm afraid to quit finasteride -- I just am
Hundreds? Wow? Nice. How linyg since starting did u see major improvements?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hundreds? Wow? Nice. How linyg since starting did u see major improvements?

no idea TBH, 6+ months on finasteride and 3 on Duta. Keep in mind my hair was severely corroded by all the DHT. This a long tedious process -- something I should have addressed much sooner but chose not to (out of fear).

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
no idea TBH, 6+ months on finasteride and 3 on Duta. Keep in mind my hair was severely corroded by all the DHT. This a long tedious process -- something I should have addressed much sooner but chose not to (out of fear).
Fear of sides I m guessing. Was that fear realistic though?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think you could taper off the finasteride slowly if you feel so attached to it but if you are using legitimate dutasteride, finasteride is overkill. You are just lucky you don't have any sides from dutasteride. I only used it one to two days a week and finasteride the other days and I was getting more sides of gyno but it's hard to say if my diet was off at the same time. I have been on finasteride only now for over 15 years and I will admit I do have some mild sides( mostly gyno and low volume of jiz) from it but not enough to quit. It has helped me maintain most of my hair but it never stopped it fully in its tracks. I am tempted to go topical to see if I the sides slowly subside but popping the pill so much easier.