Scalp Testosterone

Pondle

Reaction score
Jacobo said:
Bryan, you said before that T increment probably moderates the effect a little. If you were not taking internals at all, and then you start Dutas, a decrease of 95% DHT will help your hair more than an increase of 104% Testosterone will harm it, due to its bigger "binding affinity" (I hope I am using the proper terms).

But most Dutasteride users they have taken Finasteride before, and then jump to Dutas as an "upgrade". Then, they reduce DHT roughly on a 20% (75% to 95%, or on those lines). But they are increasing T on a 480% (from 24% to 104% if that data is correct.

Jacobo, where does the 104% figure come from? I read in the prescribing info for Avodart that "in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) treated with dutasteride 0.5 mg/day for 4 years, the median decrease in serum DHT was 94% at 1 year, 93% at 2 years, and 95% at both 3 and 4 years. The median increase in serum testosterone was 19% at both 1 and 2 years, 26% at 3 years, and 22% at 4 years, but the mean and median levels remained within the physiologic range."

BTW, can anyone confirm how much 5AR type I women possess relative to men? I saw a study that mentioned that "frontal hair follicles in women had 3 and 3.5 times less 5-reductase type I and II, respectively, than frontal hair follicles in men." So if women can live with a much reduced level of 5ARI in their brains, then I'm sold on the long term safety of dutasteride, at least as far as the neurosteroidal issue is concerned.

Jacobo

Established Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
Jacobo, where does the 104% figure come from?

Aargh, I had thought I found the solution for the misterious Dutas front thining, without even reading properly the study. :oops:

I made the comparison between serum DHT reduction and scalp T increase. Just forget my last post, apologies. I won't edit it in order to remind myself that I am not that clever.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what to make of the dutasteride anecdotes we hear about on hairloss sites. In the immortal words of Isaac Newton, "I frame no hypotheses."

Sir Newton said also:

"I keep the subject of my inquiry constantly before me, and wait till the first dawning opens gradually, by little and little, into a full and clear light."

Or better:

"A man may imagine things that are false, but he can only understand things that are true, for if the things be false, the apprehension of them is not understanding."

"Errors are not in the art but in the artificers."

"No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess."

Armando

G

Jacobo,

I do not believe in frontal thinning being caused by Avodart. Rather, I think that other areas of the scalp thicken up on avodart, making the front look thinner b y comparison.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Armando Jose said:
Sir Newton said also:

"No great discovery was ever made without a bold guess."

Yes, but Newton was also smart enough to give up a "bold guess", if it became clear that there was no supporting evidence for it! :wink:

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Jacobo,

I do not believe in frontal thinning being caused by Avodart. Rather, I think that other areas of the scalp thicken up on avodart, making the front look thinner b y comparison.

very interesting idea jayman....could be some truth behind it!!