Scalp cooling prevents hair loss in chemo patients...hmmm

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this by accident, but apparently it's been around for a while. http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/352.full

In short: the article tries to explain why scalp cooling prevents some or all of the hair loss caused by chemo therapy. It's widely used in hospitals around the world, and although they really don't understand why, it seems to work.

One thing that caught my eye was this particualt pharagraph:

"There are two scientific rationales for scalp cooling. The first is vasoconstriction, which reduces the blood flow to the hair follicles during peak plasma concentrations of the chemotherapeutic agents and so reduces cellular uptake of these agents. This was demonstrated by Bülow et al. [6]. The second rationale is reduced biochemical activity, which makes hair follicles less susceptible to the damage of chemotherapeutic agents. The latter may be more important than vasoconstriction [6]. A lower glucose/lactate was demonstrated in a hypothermic scalp than in the normothermic scalp [7]."

Now, of course this applies to CANCER patients, and not male pattern baldness. But hypothetically (and this is why I post this under "experimental" :p) if you look at DHT, insulin, TGF or whatever follicle- killing agent as the "chemo"; by the same rationale vasoconstriction and reduced biochemical activity (caused by scalp cooling) would reduce those as well.

Also the last sentence is of interest: hypothermic scalps have a lower glucose/lactate concentration. The countless debates and studies on insulin resistance and hairloss comes to mind....

Yeah, I know this is a long shot, and comparing DHT to chemo is obviously insane, but you've got to admit this is a LITTLE bit interesting...

Timmysee

Reaction score
This works because the follicles are being protected from the temporary bombardment of radioactive chemicals, I imagine if you tried to apply this to male pattern baldness it would not be successful as DHT is constantly causing damage, meaning that constant cooling would be needed. Cutting off blood flow to the follicles for a long period of time would only be detrimental.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Some day all the people will finaly get this through their heads.

Think for one second how radiation causes hair loss...

Excesive heat does the same thing.

The point is to reduce the amount of oxidation which will indeed work.

Timmysee

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the way radiation causes hair loss. Radiation prevents follicles from producing hair by denaturing the proteins in the cells, sure. That's got nothing to do with male pattern baldness. The cold caps are worn for a relatively short period of time to offset the temporary bombardment of radioactive material in the blood. Again, can't be applied to male pattern baldness.

Cold caps work because of restricted blood flow which, I will say again, can only be detrimental to the follicle over an extended period of time.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Then we could say that there are LESS bald guys in the COLDEST climates and MORE balder guys in HOTTEST climates. :bravo:

beaner

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure DHT is produced within the hair follicle itself so I don't think this would help.

Todd

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it´s not DHT in itself that makes your hair fall out, it´s the whole biochemical process that DHT starts off. If you could slow down or stop that process, you potentially have a baldness treatment.

I remember studies showing that anti- inflammatory and anti- apoptopic agents has potential hair loss preventive effects; not because they stop DHT, but because they interfere with the whole "hair follicle goes bye- bye"- thing.

I am not saying that scalp cooling works, and OF COURSE I´m aware that chemo and radiation is completely different than male pattern baldness.
But it´s still kinda interesting.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
I have not read the article yet but here are some factors to look at:-

1.Cold generally = decreased cellular metabolism = decreased cellular division.
2.Many chemotherapeutic drugs only kill cells that are in the multiplying phase of the cell cycle.
3.hair usually is lost in chemotherapy because the cells that form/make hair usually multiply rapidly.
4.If the cells are not multiplying the the drugs can not kill them and hence hair loss should be reduced.

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
Every guy on HairLossTalk.com just added freezing cold showers to their regimen... :whistle:

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Guess what is used to prevent side effects from radiation???

Anti-oxidants, wow how abou that!

People still don't get what radiation does, it is pro-oxidant. If your body could naturally keep up then there would never be any negative effects from the radiation.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, but it´s not DHT in itself that makes your hair fall out, it´s the whole biochemical process that DHT starts off. If you could slow down or stop that process, you potentially have a baldness treatment.

I remember studies showing that anti- inflammatory and anti- apoptopic agents has potential hair loss preventive effects; not because they stop DHT, but because they interfere with the whole "hair follicle goes bye- bye"- thing.

I am not saying that scalp cooling works, and OF COURSE I´m aware that chemo and radiation is completely different than male pattern baldness.
But it´s still kinda interesting.
Inflammation comes before DHT, treating whatever is causing the inflammation is a great idea

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk but sounds like a whole buncha cope to me OP. Didn't read a single word, tbh.

Arrade

My Regimen
Reaction score
Idk but sounds like a whole buncha cope to me OP. Didn't read a single word, tbh.
Inflammation is some of the pathways of balding. Not sure how effective cooling is but since things like aspirin or gluticosteroids lower inflammation I could see it being of some use.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Inflammation is some of the pathways of balding. Not sure how effective cooling is but since things like aspirin or gluticosteroids lower inflammation I could see it being of some use.

Eh, I already shower with subarctic temperature water anyway since even lukewarm water dries out my skin.

CodyJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright, thats it; I'm wearing a swim cap with ice cubes under it from now on.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

igamblesowhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every guy on HairLossTalk.com just added freezing cold showers to their regimen... :whistle:

If cold showers worked, Wim Hof would have a voluptuous head of hair. Unfortunately, he too suffers from male pattern baldness
Wim-Hof.jpg

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is interesting because cooling scalp prevents alopecia. The researchers give some hypothetical explanations. Another explanation “could be” cooling the body induced BAT to form. Forming it in scalp could provide better “soil” for follicles to grow
As well as better cushioning of skin to scalp tension..