scalp burning

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
this is a new one for me.. Any have this type of situation? all of last week i have been putting on Dr. Lee's minoxidil with retin-a twice a day.. i was carefully not to get in the sun... my forehead started burning bad... eventually some burning started on my scalp.. so i stopped using it for a few days... last night, after i put on rogaine, i had a mild itch on my scalp.. i decided to spray some folligen to calm it... bad choice, cause my scalp started to burn like crazy.. the more folligen i spayed, the worse it got.. i had to hit the shower at 4am.. everntually the burn subsided.. what was going on??

also, unrelated topic.. is dr .lee's minoxidil 500 as good as rogaine?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IMO, Dr. Lee's minoxidil is better than rogaine (because of fast drying and fast adsorption).
Don't use retin-A everyday. Dr. Lee suggests trying it once a week, twice a week and then gradually raise it to everynight. Don't use it twice a day. Retin-A peels the skin for better adsorption of minoxidil. The effect stays for 24 hours or so. So even if your scalp can handle it is probably redundant.
Skip a day completely (no topicals). if you can't withstand minoxidil for a long time wash your hair after two hours (Dr. Lee says it is ok as close to 80-90% is absorbed in the first hour itself).
Good luck.

giggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
PPG

Use Dr Lee's minoxidil PPG Free (propylene glycol free)..it significantly reduces burning and irritation

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
jfrank, make sure u are not allergic to minoxidil. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
im having the same problem right now--and ive had the same prob in the past--my drm prescribes it for 2 x a day every day-minoxidil/retin-a--its nto dr less combo tho...anyways i try to put it on before going out in the sun - leave it on my head for 2 hours--then shower--that has helped--last week i didnt rinse my head off before putting my second application of the day on--and i noticed that this week my scalp is extremely sore tight and itchy and burning--so i think this has led me to believe that cleaning your hair between applications helps--it makes sense--since you are putting a very harsh, abrasive substance to the skin on your scalp...and putting more on before you wash whta was initially on there will only make it worse--and shampoo your hair with cold water-not even lukewarm--that has helped me in the past as well