Saw palmetto vs Finasteride vs Dutasteride?

youngbaldie

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw Palmetto works, if you get the right kind (95% fatty acids). I have tried it, it gets rid of the scalp inflammation associated with male pattern baldness and it slows shedding.

But its not cheap because you need to take about 10 times the dose to get the desired effect. When taking this high of a dose, there are numerous side effects like stomach cramps, risk of ulcer, sexual sides (libido jumps around, weaker erections).

Very little is known about saw palmetto, how it works, or the standard dosage that is needed. There are barely any studies so all the evidence (or lack of) is subjective really.

Personally, I believe it works to a certain extent.

abcdefg

Reaction score
There is no verse. saw palmetto is simply not going to stop hairloss. I tried it, and it worked for me for about 4 months then wore off over time. Its just not nearly strong enough to reverse hairloss and it wont stop it either. I think 1 mg of propecia is about 8-10 times stronger then the recommended dose of propecia. If you take that much your pretty much running the same risks as propecia other then cost I cant see any reason to take it. I dropped saw palmetto and just vowed to myself id take the proven drug instead of some unregulated supplement or do nothing.

CCS

Reaction score
There are not studies backing up saw palmetto helping male pattern baldness, and I've read 6 big posters on here say it did nothing to help them. Some said it gave them gyno. I've not heard anyone say it helped them. And SP stinks. That is why Revivogen stinks. Probably also why it stains. They need to remove it from the ingredients.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I personally think saw palmetto does help with hairloss. I also think saw palmetto is just a much weaker version of propecia. Everyone wants to take something natural though and thats saw palmettos appeal and why tons of garbage is continually successful. Yes its a prescription, yes it has dangerous sides listed on it, but its also one of the best studied male pattern baldness treatments we have today. Its really one of your only options which is why for men where propecia doesnt work they are in trouble for the immediate future because nothing else will help.

G

abcdefg said:
I personally think saw palmetto does help with hairloss. I also think saw palmetto is just a much weaker version of propecia. Everyone wants to take something natural though and thats saw palmettos appeal and why tons of garbage is continually successful. Yes its a prescription, yes it has dangerous sides listed on it, but its also one of the best studied male pattern baldness treatments we have today. Its really one of your only options which is why for men where propecia doesnt work they are in trouble for the immediate future because nothing else will help.

bull f*****g sh*t.

ive never seen one person use finasteride, get no results on it, but get results on finasteride. and people who claim this never seem to be able to produce pics.

Just because saw palmetto can block 5ar doesn't mean it can stop hair loss

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After trying all 3 none of them appear to work for me.

Saw Palmetto is very weak DHT blocker, finasteride is 100 times stronger and dutasteride is 10 time stronger than finasteride. But patently blocking DHT is not the only thing that causes hairloss otherwise something would have worked for me.

Saw Palmetto is not really worth bothering with if you are serious about stopping hairloss.

Mane Man

Reaction score
Hi guys i read this post below on another site:

Saw Palmetto has been thought to benefit the prostate by blocking the conversion of testosterone to DHT (dihydrotestosterone) yet studies show it has no effect on overall DHT levels. DHT is created from testosterone by the action of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase. It is an important stronger cousin of testosterone responsible for secondary sex characteristics such as increased muscle, acne and facial hair that begin at puberty.

Then why is it effective?
Most likely Saw Palmetto inhibits or interferes with DHT after the formation (blocks bound DHT and receptor into cell nucleus) therefore it stops the message. Saw Palmetto also blocks testosterone at the androgenic receptors sites and estrogen at its receptors.

So Saw Palmetto minimizes the negative effects of hormonal imbalance such as male pattern baldness, acne formation and prostate enlargement. To be effective you will need to take a concentrated extract that is 85 to 95% pure at 320 mg per day. I recommend Solaray 160mg per cap.

Proscar, a prescription drug prescribed for BPH acts differently than Saw Palmetto. It exhibits its benefits by reducing DHT. DHT is an important hormone for erectile function explaining the reasons Proscar has a common side effect of impotence. And because DHT is also an important anabolic hormone, Proscar is not recommended for endurance athletes or body builders.

Is this true?

abcdefg

Reaction score
I also second the saw palmetto works thing. It helped me. The problem is its not powerful enough at the 320mg dose that they recommend for enlarged prostate. I stopped after realizing it made no sense to use that when propecia is proven and works better most likely.
Let me clarify in my other first post I was talking about propecia but I never mentioned that and it was confusing after I reread that. Saw palmetto though definitely slowed my hairloss but the front became more oily and itchy while the back the itch went away. Very similar to what I have heard about propecia.
Thats just me though and propecia is a much smarter choice which is why I stopped. I got sexual sides and had effects basically like propecia but it didnt stop my hairloss if it did anything at all.
Dutasteride is dangerous in my opinion and removing a substance like DHT found in the important locations like the brain, skin, and liver does not sound like a good idea to me personally. Propecia is proven, well studied, and really 1 of the 2 things that even really work.

Tikimik

Reaction score
And because DHT is also an important anabolic hormone, Proscar is not recommended for endurance athletes or body builders.

That's bull sh*t because studies have proven that DHT is almost entirely broken down before it even reaches muscle tissue and COULD be useful for the anabolic process but since the body never lets it reach the necessary areas, does not contribute.

In fact ever since I've been on Avodart I feel like I've been cheating at the gym because of the crazy testosterone level increase it causes. I think body testosterone increases by 48% with Avodart? I know the scalp increases by 104%.

Anyways its like a mini steroid. If you are on Avodart hit the gym at least 3 days a week and take advantage of its "side effect."

Whyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
When looking into alternative natural products one must realize that the printed recommended dosage is necessarily NOT enough to treat other conditions with. In the Saw Palmetto case this is obvious. The daily dosage must be increased severely, rendering a bunch of nasty sides, and this is the truth about "natural remedies".

bubka

Reaction score
Whyatt said:
The daily dosage must be increased severely, rendering a bunch of nasty sides, and this is the truth about "natural remedies".
There could be a plant out there that you don't need a high dosage and can be called "natural." Heck the medical world is full of them; however, for male pattern baldness none exists

alexstorm

Reaction score
I saw somewhere that Saw Palmetto(I'm not sure at what dosage) was only slighty less effective than finasteride because it blocks type 1 and 2 5 AR. Doesn't appear from what I've read here that are any great DHT blockers though.

bubka

Reaction score
alexstorm said:
I saw somewhere that Saw Palmetto(I'm not sure at what dosage) was only slighty less effective than finasteride because it blocks type 1 and 2 5 AR. Doesn't appear from what I've read here that are any great DHT blockers though.
For male pattern baldness, it does nothing.

finasteride and dutasteride are great AR5 blockers, check out the success stories.