Saw Palmetto Utterly Destroyed my Life

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i was on 1mg finasteride long ago for a few months... although it desroyed my ibid and erectile function , when i stopped taking it for many years i felt that the effect was long lasting but due to a certain lesser degree .. however when i start taking flaxseed supplements and other nutrients i was able to get back the wood. so this post is not accurately accurate

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything you're describing happened to me on finasteride, only worse, my complexion went to this bizarre grey-pale color that took weeks to recover from. I have actually used a concentrated (not merely saw palmetto) complex of sterols to effectively blunt the effect of androgens in the past. As I'm now older I can't take as much without it yeeting my androgens too much.

I think it is quite possible that if you experienced sudden onset hair loss that it was in fact not at all related to an increase in androgens but some other factor, this is exactly the sort of hairloss I've been dealing with on and off for years. You need to if possible get your hormone levels checked.

I've had scary amounts of hair loss, like extremely diffuse bordering on bare scalp and recovered(ing) from it twice now. But yes, this post is just a testament to two things

1. not all hairloss causes and treatments are universally applicable to all people

2. supplements, especially those containing beta sitosterol are no joke, I read that high concentrations of beta sitosterol can be as effective as finasteride

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really interested in this... I have for the last few years been using Lipogaine minoxidil which has that ingredient. I feel like over the course of that time my libido has really reduced but I didn't think it was possible from just a minoxidil solution. Is there any action I can take/supplements that would help reverse?

Minoxidil does not lower DHT if I recall.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a minoxidil solution which has beta sitosterol and saw palmetto in it

I'm quite certain unless it is proven otherwise that beta sitosterol topically is pretty well useless.

It IIRC does not act on the receptor site the way other compounds do, it prevents your body from making DHT in the first place.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe you mate but its shocking that all the studies for Saw Palmetto say it is safe with only minor side effects and certainly no mention of the things you experienced. Maybe you've been very unlucky or perhaps more studies need to be done on SP, either way you have my sympathies.
Only sides i got was it turned me into a horndog for a month then nothing.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's because you get an initial spike in your testosterone and then it adjusts.

You absolutely can take too much beta sitosterol, don't get it twisted, that's why it works, but in terms of severity of side effects I found it to be far more tolerable than finasteride.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's because you get an initial spike in your testosterone and then it adjusts.

You absolutely can take too much beta sitosterol, don't get it twisted, that's why it works, but in terms of severity of side effects I found it to be far more tolerable than finasteride.
Hmm, is that a per person type thing? Like how much is too much SP or beta sitosterol

Diannet

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi P,
I really feel for you. I'm a post-menopausal woman with poly-cystic ovary syndrome (lifetime of hell one way or another), and testing out Saw Palmetto for hair loss. I think it's starting to work... Probably different for men and women. However there are other things I do that are non-toxic, very safe, plant-based, very beneficial for repairing cell receptors and modulating hormones, that work where everything else fails. If you are still having problems and interested in having a talk to see if I can help you, please get in touch. I'm a health scientist and wellbeing consultant but I don't charge an arm and a leg; in fact I'll help you for free because you are too young for the devastation you're experiencing and your story really wrenched my heart. I'll risk putting my email on here: dianne at diannetrussell dot com.
warm regards,
Dianne