Saw My First Real Life Smp And.......

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
It was pretty bad. As soon as I saw it from about 30 feet away I knew instantly what it was. Now I know what to look for, but what was funny was my GF nudged me and said out of no where "is that guys hair tattooed on?".

The most uncomfortable part was the guy kept ending up near us and eventually caught on to us looking. I think he knew what we did and was starting to get a bit embarrassed.

It was just strange to look at. It had zero depth, and the NW7(ish) sides of his hair were a slightly different color and the hairline was just WAY to even and intentional looking.

I would say from my personal opinion, dont go that route. I wont say it was technically a "bad" job but I have nothing to compare it to. It was interesting to say the least anyway.

Toms

Established Member
Reaction score
It might be a ridiculous hairline that gives it away. I have seen some good SMP's where the hairline is a bit thin and NW2. Makes it more believable that a guy would shave his head than if he had a perfect square NW0.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Less about SMPs being shitty and more about his specific was done poorly.

so aside the

"It was just strange to look at. It had zero depth, and the NW7(ish) sides of his hair were a slightly different color and the hairline was just WAY to even and intentional looking."

what more did you want to know. I actually said the job wasnt bad just an actual SMP in person looked like tattooed hair. Would you like me to make a police sketch for you?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I once stood next to someone in a crowded metro car after a concert.
SMP was CLEAR AS DAY
His gf was hot though and the framing definitely improved his aesthetics.

yeah this guy was with, Id say, an average looking girl. They were both fairly fit. Im sure it wasnt his optimal decision in life but it was just so weird to actually see one. If I had seen a picture of him it might have looked okay but in person.... nope.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is discouraging since nothing is working for me so I was thinking about giving up, shaving my head and get a SMP done. You guys think that maybe it's just people obsessed about hairloss that notice things like bad SMPs?

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is discouraging since nothing is working for me so I was thinking about giving up, shaving my head and get a SMP done. You guys think that maybe it's just people obsessed about hairloss that notice things like bad SMPs?
Just don't get a bad one people won't notice a well done one which is conservative. The nw0 ones look ridiculous.

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just don't get a bad one people won't notice a well done one which is conservative. The nw0 ones look ridiculous.

Yes, this. Also don't get permanent SMP, there's this other thing called (not sure) tricho pigmentation (?) that only lasts for a few years. I believe it naturally fades away so you have to get it done again which is better because SMP fades as well but becomes this blue-ish helmet thing. I've seen bad pictures.

BaldingInGermany

Established Member
Reaction score
SMP if done right is undetectable. „Done right“ means to choose a not too low and not too sharp/straight hairline, but a feathered hairline with a bit of receding. Also it shouldn‘t be too dense and too dark. An experienced practitioner can do that for you. It‘s like with wigs, hair pieces or any other artificial hair, the ones you can spot are those who a pretty bad.

As for „permanent“ or „temporary„ SMP: Both fade. A temporary SMP just fades much faster and lasts from 8 to 18 months before it starts fading. A „permanent“ (in fact it is not really permanent) SMP last 2-4 years before it needs a touch-up. In my opinion a temporary SMP doesn‘t really makes sense. In the long run it just way more expensive than a permanent one. And the ink never turns blue-ish. It‘s just not possible, because there are no colored pigments in the ink. Maybe way back in the beginning of SMP it turned blue cause the whole technique and ink wasn’t as developed as it it is now. However, a perfectly done SMP done by an expert isn’t noticeable.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score

probably

SMP if done right is undetectable. „Done right“ means to choose a not too low and not too sharp/straight hairline, but a feathered hairline with a bit of receding. Also it shouldn‘t be too dense and too dark. An experienced practitioner can do that for you. It‘s like with wigs, hair pieces or any other artificial hair, the ones you can spot are those who a pretty bad.

As for „permanent“ or „temporary„ SMP: Both fade. A temporary SMP just fades much faster and lasts from 8 to 18 months before it starts fading. A „permanent“ (in fact it is not really permanent) SMP last 2-4 years before it needs a touch-up. In my opinion a temporary SMP doesn‘t really makes sense. In the long run it just way more expensive than a permanent one. And the ink never turns blue-ish. It‘s just not possible, because there are no colored pigments in the ink. Maybe way back in the beginning of SMP it turned blue cause the whole technique and ink wasn’t as developed as it it is now. However, a perfectly done SMP done by an expert isn’t noticeable.

I think if the hair loss isnt to a full on NW6-7 it might be less detectable but this guy looked more like he was at that point and you could really tell something was off. If you have maybe a really diffuse Norwood 2-3 even 4 it probably a much better option. Past that I would say it just looks like a tattoo on the head. There was honestly zero depth to it and it was easy to see where the false line met the real one.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's crap, I also saw it a year ago with my girl and she knew. They were all heading to a wedding and he was suited and booted too. You could see his shiny pale bald scalp and some tattoo all over glistening in the summery day. Fake as hell and it wasn't a bad job either, just reality that's hidden in tricky before and afters. The only people who should do it are those with darker skin and who have decent enough natural hair on top. Also greying issues arise with SMP. I would only use it to fill an FUT scar. Being discovered with SMP is like being found out with a wig, that's how it must feel.

Personally I consider it embarrassing to scar your head in tattoos to resemble hair. I'd rather have an actual full head (including neat donor) with even FUT, pencil scar is nothing. Most people can utilise FUE/FUT to end up with so so hair and that's assuming the starting point was serious hair loss. If you start everything early, as we know, you can maintain nice hair.

TK421

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's crap, I also saw it a year ago with my girl and she knew. They were all heading to a wedding and he was suited and booted too. You could see his shiny pale bald scalp and some tattoo all over glistening in the summery day. Fake as hell and it wasn't a bad job either, just reality that's hidden in tricky before and afters. The only people who should do it are those with darker skin and who have decent enough natural hair on top. Also greying issues arise with SMP. I would only use it to fill an FUT scar. Being discovered with SMP is like being found out with a wig, that's how it must feel.

Personally I consider it embarrassing to scar your head in tattoos to resemble hair. I'd rather have an actual full head (including neat donor) with even FUT, pencil scar is nothing. Most people can utilise FUE/FUT to end up with so so hair and that's assuming the starting point was serious hair loss. If you start everything early, as we know, you can maintain nice hair.

Here's what I'm beginning to realize, even if the SMP looks obvious and noticeable, it doesn't matter as long as it gives the person confidence to step out of the house and live life. I don't see a difference whether a balding person hides behind a hat, hair system, or SMP. Not everyone is a candidate for a hair transplant and some would rather have any type of covering (including a noticeable SMP) than face the public with a completely bald horseshoe pattern.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's what I'm beginning to realize, even if the SMP looks obvious and noticeable, it doesn't matter as long as it gives the person confidence to step out of the house and live life. I don't see a difference whether a balding person hides behind a hat, hair system, or SMP. Not everyone is a candidate for a hair transplant and some would rather have any type of covering (including a noticeable SMP) than face the public with a completely bald horseshoe pattern.

Can we just invent artificial permanent hair already

Felipe302

Established Member
Reaction score
A big part of getting SMP right is doing the temporary kind and not the permanent one.

For some reason, the temporary looks SO MUCH BETTER than the permanent.

I dont know why this is, but every provider of temporary SMP does a better job than the best permanent SMP professionals.

Also, having some hair still helps a lot to give that 3D look. Even a little hair already ads immensely to the realism of the whole thing.

Maybe SMP + FUE would be a wise move. Sprinkle the donor hair all over your head and get the SMP behind it.

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The endgame will always be utilising more than one technology. FUT + SMP + finasteride + PRP + concealer + FUE down the line can give you great results even if you start late. Seriously dealing with hairloss for the rest of your life is never a one and done deal.

Falsenine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about doing SMP after I graduate to increase my density, assuming that I don’t lose anymore hair, I think it’s a good solution for diffuse thinners since they usually can’t add density via transplant.

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There was a German YouTuber who had it done after his transplant and while I was skeptical at first, I have to admit it definitely looked thicker afterwards. Not like Toppik, but definitely an improvement.

genetically_cursed

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
look up Chris Eubank Jr for proper frauded SMP, but you have to have hair on top for it to work, otherwise its obvious its tatooed hair if you were slick bald before