Samumed Interview w/ Dr. Yusuf Yazici

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If someone told me that I could use samumed, a fairly complicated drug lacking long-term safety data, to achieve similar results as minoxidil, a mild vasodilator, I think I would just continue using minoxidil.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
If someone told me that I could use samumed, a fairly complicated drug lacking long-term safety data, to achieve similar results as minoxidil, a mild vasodilator, I think I would just continue using minoxidil.

It doesn't work as a mild vasodilator.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score

This study indicates minoxidil activates the b-catenin pathway.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21524889

It may also suppress androgen activity according to this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4039155/

I have a suspicion that the androgen receptor is upstream of these growth factors, prostaglandins, and Wnts. So I think that minoxidil
may work by the same pathway as Wnt agonists, anti-androgens, prostaglandin mediators, and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, but they all
just work at different points on that same pathway.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I think if they knew exactly how it works and why it is somewhat efficacious for some and not others, we might have had more than just new and improved 5% Rogaine by now.

What I should have said is, if Samumed doesn't produce any better results than minoxidil, then I won't be enthusiastic about it.

It's nearly two decades since minoxidil was discovered. As much as I liked the 1990's, it's time for new hair loss treatment and one that produces more than just vellus hair?

baldowaldo

Reaction score
Looking at the size/importance of the conference, and the fact that they tested on high Norwood scales and seem to have gotten significant results, makes me feel pretty good about this.
We'll see in a day.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking at the size/importance of the conference, and the fact that they tested on high Norwood scales and seem to have gotten significant results, makes me feel pretty good about this.
We'll see in a day.
100% agreed. If they found something worth showing on high norwoods, that must mean that this should be a functional solution for gaining back atleast a norwood or getting somewhat significant density. I'm extremely optimistic about this.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The findings are consistent with preclinical in vivo animal models, in which SM04554 has been shown to generate new hair follicles and increase hair count.

It's already an improvement over minoxidil if it creates new hair follicles.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity has Samumed successfully brought any of their products to commercialization?

I looked on their website and didn't see anything regarding that.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity has Samumed successfully brought any of their products to commercialization?

I imagine if it's very promising, big pharma will be wanting to pick the low hanging fruit as they say. They are sitting on mountains of cash after playing low key with 20 and 30 year patent protections on old drug discoveries.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I imagine if it's very promising, big pharma will be wanting to pick the low hanging fruit as they say. They are sitting on mountains of cash after playing low key with 20 and 30 year patent protections on old drug discoveries.

20 years for patent exclusivity is WAY too long.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score

BTW, this is one of the things about SM04554 that concerns me. The company, Samumed, is new to this whole process and so maybe they
are making mistakes and maybe they are sending positive signals even though their results are poor. For example, if the experienced
Merck was bringing SM04554 to market and their initial phase 2 demonstrated poor results then they would pull the plug on their
supplemental phase 2 but with Samumed being new to all of this they may not get it that if their initial phase 2 was bad they
should pull the plug on their supplemental phase 2. So it is possible that all of the positive signals coming from Samumed
may be the result of them making mistakes due to their inexperience at clinical trials & how to react to stuff therein.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
BTW, this is one of the things about SM04554 that concerns me. The company, Samumed, is new to this whole process and so maybe they
are making mistakes and maybe they are sending positive signals even though their results are poor. For example, if the experienced
Merck was bringing SM04554 to market and their initial phase 2 demonstrated poor results then they would pull the plug on their
supplemental phase 2 but with Samumed being new to all of this they may not get it that if their initial phase 2 was bad they
should pull the plug on their supplemental phase 2. So it is possible that all of the positive signals coming from Samumed
may be the result of them making mistakes due to their inexperience at clinical trials & how to react to stuff therein.

Finasteride is a poor treatment too though.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
should pull the plug on their supplemental phase 2.
So it is possible that all of the positive signals coming from Samumed

That would be plain common sense to me and whether they have experience or not they're obviously bright people to be doing what they are doing so I think they would pull the plug if they didn't see results nevermind go on display at a world conference to present those results.

When I asked the question of whether they had a project reach commercialization I wasn't asking it in a negative way. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that develop treatments and then sell them off to big pharma i.e. they stick to what they know best which is development rather than get themselves in trouble entering a game they don't understand --> distribution/commercialization.

Then again you could be totally right no one knows anything until it happens - this is all speculation. Hopefully we get good news tomorrow.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes I think Yazici and Samumed surely understand how low the bar was set for them with minoxidil and finasteride.

Recently I've been seeing TV ads for Rogaine foam. "Use it or lose it" is the sales pitch. Let's hope we have a choice to use something else for a change.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tommorow is the big day ladies and gents.

Edit: Mandatory Swoop gif

Eiaha.gif

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
The day has come. Is anyone here attending?

I'm keeping an eye on the twitter feed. On that feed I found a link to the section that Samumed will be presenting in. Here's a link to what that section is all about:

http://aad-365.ascendeventmedia.com...h-advances-could-change-dermatology-practice/

- - - Updated - - -

That would be plain common sense to me and whether they have experience or not they're obviously bright people to be doing what they are doing so I think they would pull the plug if they didn't see results nevermind go on display at a world conference to present those results.

When I asked the question of whether they had a project reach commercialization I wasn't asking it in a negative way. I'm sure there are plenty of companies that develop treatments and then sell them off to big pharma i.e. they stick to what they know best which is development rather than get themselves in trouble entering a game they don't understand --> distribution/commercialization.

Then again you could be totally right no one knows anything until it happens - this is all speculation. Hopefully we get good news tomorrow.

For the record, based on all of the positive signs were getting from Samumed, I also believe the greater likelihood is that Samumed has come up with a better mousetrap.

I think everyone knows that I have high hopes for SM04554. I'm just saying that their positive signs may be a mirage, but I really don't think so. I think that SM04554
will be a better treatment than what we already have.

I think that many posters here are in for a pleasant surprise.