Safety of concealers like Toppik and HSR?

TobiR

Reaction score
Hey all, well I have been using HairSoReal for a couple years and its been pretty great. No problems with it. My question is what do you think about the potential side effects of using such hair fibers?

I know they say they are non-toxic and safe and I got the material safety and data sheet from one of the sellers which says it does not have any carcinogens etc. But when I looked at the ingredients I noticed that some colorings are used such as D and C Orange etc. Looking up these colorings I found that they have been used in animal experiments and found to be mutagenic and possibly carcinogenic.

Here is 1 MSDS that says D and C orange 4 is mutagenic to somatic cells.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds...?msdsId=9923649

What do you guys think?

Here are some ingredients for toppik.

Keratin
Ammonium Chloride
Silica
DMDM Hydantion
Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate
And it may also contain the following ingredients and chemicals:
FD&C Yellow #6
FD&C Red #40
FD&C Yellow #5
D&C Red #22
D&C Red #33
FD&C Blue #1
D&C Green #5
FD&C Green #3
D&C Green #6
D&C Orange #4

Thanks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Unless you're drinking the stuff I would'nt worry. People are exposed to all sorts of sh*t in the atmosphere and working enviroments. I'd rather apply hair fibres than take a single drag on a cigarette.

TobiR

Reaction score
Oh no question SAF there are worse things that you could be doing. I try to avoid as much as I can but this is just another thing that it seems to me I could avoid if I wanted to but I really want to keep it to make my hair look good.

In other words if I knew it was safe then it would give me a lot more peace of mind.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It is totally safe! just think of all the crap contained in make up that women rub into their skin every day. This stuff just sticks to your hair.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I often hear moaning about the Silica in Toppik, but like SAF says, you're not inhaling it or sprinkling on your food, you can dig out ingredients on most products these days and think..... woaaahhhh!!

And let's face it eh, we all know most of us would rather be dead anyway, than go out the house with bare scalps*

*In the interests of the lack of humour brigade, it was a joke OK!

TobiR

Reaction score
Obviously silica is not going to do anything, my concern is the colorings that are in it that might be in contact with the scalp and the possibility of scalp cancer. Yes its suppose to only attach to the hair but some of it will inevitably end up on the scalp and if I knew for sure there is a risk for cancer because of it I would rather shave my head and go without it then use it.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tobi, I think guys that use those products (of which I am one) don't want to think or worry about that to be honest. It's your choice if you feel that way about the ingredients, and yeh we all have it on our scalp at some point, It's not going to avoid it, it's impossible, if we all just had 'hair' there, then we wouldn't be using the product in the first place. Just do what makes you happy

TobiR

Reaction score
I was a little quick to dismiss silica as an issue. I did a lot of research into the possibility of silicosis and lung cancer from possible long term inhalation.

But I suppose once its in your hair then it doesn't really move around so you won't be in inhaling it, just be careful when your putting it on.

Its possible the silica is amorphous silica rather than crystalline silica which is a lot less fibrogenic but still not the best to be breathing in according to my reference sources.

Espirit:

Well I respect your position but personally if someone told me that there are definite and large risks from using these fibers over the long term I would stop using it period. Or maybe at least use less. Espirit I know your position man, Im with you with needing these fibers to look better, but think about your health in the long term man. Your health is the most important thing.

s.a.f

Reaction score
FFS guys there is no risk at all. Unless you are drinking the stuff!!
These are just the same everyday chemicals that are no worse than can be found in millions of the products you use every single day.
There is no need for this thread, what about the people who spray deodorant or hairspray everyday they are probably inhalling much more stuff.
You are really worrying about nothing, are there any reported instances of anyone ever getting scalp cancer from fibres???

TobiR

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
FFS guys there is no risk at all. Unless you are drinking the stuff!!
These are just the same everyday chemicals that are no worse than can be found in millions of the products you use every single day.
There is no need for this thread, what about the people who spray deodorant or hairspray everyday they are probably inhalling much more stuff.
You are really worrying about nothing, are there any reported instances of anyone ever getting scalp cancer from fibres???

No, but toppik has only been out for 15 years (and Im not sure this is even true since this is their claim). You are right to say these dyes especially are in many products but I'm actually more concerned about the Silica.

One good point is I found a self-regulatory board that said Silica is safe. The board is part of the cosmetics industry but at least they try to be impartial.

www.cir-safety.org/