'Safe' exercises for hairloss?

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there's a bit of an arguement over whether weight training increases testosterone levels to a point where it would impact or accelerate hairloss at all but...

...If one wanted to be on the safe side and only do exercises that didn't increase testosterone as much as lifting weights, what would those exercises or sports be?

What about:
Swimming
Cycling
Circuit training
Boxing
Yoga

Is there, or can we get, a general concensus on what fitness plans would be least detrimental to our hair?

ali777

Reaction score
Any aerobic exercise should be fine... I'd say all the exercises you listed are fine.

Caesar

Reaction score
Yeah I dont really think heavy lifting is a cause for male pattern baldness. If you already have a regimen treating your male pattern baldness i wouldn't worry about what exercise you are doing as long as you aren't roiding

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Any of the aerobic exercises that you mentioned are ok to do.

There are no specific aerobic exercises that contribute to hair loss while others do not.

I think you should vary the aerobic exercises that you perform in order to add variety to your workouts and stay motivated.

Jack82

Established Member
Reaction score
Doing sports like basketball soccer etc is considered aerobic excercise or not? Do you think that there is an effect (positive or not) on hairloss when doing sports?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yoga is great, but if you like a competitive team sport then Basketball and Soccer are fine.

In my experience Rugby is probably the worst game for your hair, given how stress-inducing it is, especially if you play in the forwards. I used to play flanker when I was younger; your body is under such an adrenaline rush while your playing, that you don't even realise how much punishment it's taking until the morning after, when it feel like you've had 3 killer gym sessions in one day!

Yeah sure, a lost of those professionals probably use roids, but even without drugs, the amount of aggression generated alone through playing rugby must cause a huge spike in DHT levels.

Attachments

• 60worldcup2003_415x275-1.jpg
    60worldcup2003_415x275-1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 188

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
You people are making a lot of assumptions.

Look at the kind of people in these sports. Rugby is a bunch of big tough white guys. A ton of these people are balding because, well, their parents and grandparents were also balding. As we've said before, its genetic.

Soccer has a bunch of 20-25 year old guys (less chance of balding) and a ton of them are from countries where it seems balding is either less prevalent or starts at a later age. Also, they make way more money and care way more about their appearance (thus will be more likely to get hair transplants, stay on propecia, etc etc)

I have been weightlifting the past year and I started taking finasteride 3 months ago. It isn't hurting my results at all. I'm still making gains in the gym and my hair appears to be starting to grow back.

s.a.f

Reaction score
:agree: I have to laugh at threads like this. FFS the absolute truth is if your carrying the m.p.b genes just LIVING is bad for your hair. If you want to halt the progress of your m.p.b you have 2 choices:
1) Take finasteride and hope your one of the lucky guys it works for.
2) Kill yourself.

All these fools debating about what you can or cant do or eat is annoying none of it will change your genetics ie what your body is programmed to do.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Very true, the point I was trying to make was that if you have male pattern baldness in your genes, then playing rugby as a regular past-time is maybe not such a great idea for your hair, as it gets testosterone levels absolutely raging like no other sport, football, basketball etc, are nothing like as bad in that respect.

Take the tall guy in the centre of the photograph (above), that photo was taken when he was 31. The photograph (below) shows what his hair looked like at 22.... Clearly 9 years of aggro, testosterone-fueled rugby on a weekly basis has accelerated his male pattern baldness.

Attachments

• Dall.jpg
    Dall.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 184

s.a.f

Reaction score
what are you talking about???
Primo said:
playing rugby as a regular past-time is maybe not such a great idea for your hair, as it gets testosterone levels absolutely raging like no other sport.

Err explain how? :whistle:

Primo said:
Take the tall guy in the centre of the photograph (above), that photo was taken when he was 31. The photograph (below) shows what his hair looked like at 22.... Clearly 9 years of aggro, testosterone-fueled rugby on a weekly basis has accelerated his male pattern baldness.

Well adding a photo of him bald might help, but still proves nothing, being a nw2 at 22 and bald 9 yrs later is as common as anything, It happend to me and I've never played Rugby in my life! :roll:

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Seriously, it's just coincidence. Look at Arnold. His hair has thinned over the years but he's no where near "bald" after 40 years of constant weightlifting.

How fast you go bald will depend totally on your genes, nothing else.

Most of these guys are not taking finasteride, I'd bet money on that. If they were I bet they wouldn't be having much more or any loss.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Seriously, it's just coincidence. Look at Arnold. His hair has thinned over the years but he's no where near "bald" after 40 years of constant weightlifting.

He also used a ton of juice

Look at Evan Centopani and jay Cutler, no hair loss at all and they are HUGE and take tons of steroids no doubt.

Hair loss is genetic plain and simple. You can speed it up by using steroids or slow it down (if a responder) with finasteride

End of story.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Yup. I'm on finasteride but I'm also doing heavy weights and increasing (naturally ,of course).

One only has to look at "PeaPoddy" in the success stories to know you can work out and regrow hair.

caper0101

Reaction score
I disagree completely. I'm 29 and have been managing my hairloss for the past few years. I love working out and used to hit the gym 5 days a week. I had to stop because of massive shedding. Sure enough as soon as I stopped the shedding stopped. I can also tell from the itching. DHT seems to cause my scalp to itch like crazy. Occasionally I'll still hit up the gym and try working out again using different techniques, or with a new hair loss remedy, but every time within a few days I feel the itching and see the shedding in the sink.

I've picked up mountain biking as a new hobby, unfortunately that seems to also cause the shedding, but not as badly.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
My head itched regardless of if I was going to the gym over the past year. I stopped for 4 months and I was still losing hair.

Are you on finasteride? That totally stops the shedding for me. I've added 100 pounds to my squat in the past year. Releases a ton of testosterone but my hair loss seems to have come to a halt with no more major shedding and my scalp isn't itchingall the time anymore

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Bekim said:
TheGrayMan2001 said:
My head itched regardless of if I was going to the gym over the past year. I stopped for 4 months and I was still losing hair.

Are you on finasteride? That totally stops the shedding for me. I've added 100 pounds to my squat in the past year. Releases a ton of testosterone but my hair loss seems to have come to a halt with no more major shedding and my scalp isn't itchingall the time anymore

you squatins 100 pounds shits

this nots good

maybes Fins makings you do this

maybes alsos havings lice making the itchins

Bekim :(

LOL

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score
I think lifting weight's with high reps is not bad for hair and cardio treadmill stair stepper etc. You see some of these huge football players that are probably doing steroids who still have full heads of hair because they never had the predisposition for baldness in the first place they are the lucky ones.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Power lifting is definitely bad for your hair... Whenever I step it up and start going to the gym regularly 3 x a week, for say a month, I notice increased shedding.

If you're doing low reps on high weight regularly, your body needs that extra Testosterone so that you can push yourself to the limit... Obviously more T leads to more DHT, and even T itself can cause some hairloss.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
KP211 said:
I think lifting weight's with high reps is not bad for hair and cardio treadmill stair stepper etc.

That's definitely true though man & I think it's good to do high reps for some sessions too. The problem is some guys just want to push it to the absolute max every time they go to the gym & not only is that bad for their DHT levels, but their whole body in general.