Sadscalps Story (23 / NW3+diffuse thinning) PICS pg3

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
KDL84 said:
sadscalp said:
Luckily, the regular doctor that I got an appointment with was a nice guy (though not very knowledgeable :woot: ). I basically prescribed Proscar for myself :laugh: Then I got to the pharmacy, and they told me that Finasterid Actavis (5mg) was cheaper than Proscar. Ended up paying around 15 bucks for 28 tablets of 5mg.

Starting it today. These pills are really f****ing small though (not to mention totally round, unlike Proscar). Nearly impossible to cut it up anymore than 4. Just took my first one, 1.25 mg.

Wish me luck fellas.

How's it going? I'm 25 and just started like you... same deal, proscar in 4s. My hair looked EXACTLY like yours two years ago, so I highly recommend doing everything you can right now. And if you have persistent sides, just stop the Proscar and you should be cool after it's out of your system...

Hey man, doing fine. Been on finasteride since Wednesday now, no sides whatsoever so far.

Yep, the idea is that I at least try to do everything I can, and if it doesn't work out, then at least I tried, you know.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Been on finasteride almost 2 weeks now, still no sides at all. As for my hair, well, no change.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
sadscalp said:
Been on finasteride almost 2 weeks now, still no sides at all. As for my hair, well, no change.

took me 3 months to see the slightest change...my itching stopped and i had tiny blonde hairs appear

at 4.5 months itching is gone still, sides are gone, and i seem to have a few little hairs growing

some people get results in a month, some get them in 6+ months

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
sadscalp said:

took me 3 months to see the slightest change...my itching stopped and i had tiny blonde hairs appear

at 4.5 months itching is gone still, sides are gone, and i seem to have a few little hairs growing

some people get results in a month, some get them in 6+ months

True, I just thought that since I've been on minoxidil for so long, that in the absence of DHT (if indeed the drug works, I've noticed no change whatsoever, not even watery semen) my minoxidil hair would kick into action and improve again.

I'm probably just being impatient. And my hair is in much better shape than it was at baseline, no doubt about that, just not as good as it was at one point.

Oh well, keeping on the regimen. The waiting game really sucks.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost 4 weeks in, still no change at all. My hair has been pretty much the same for 1 1/2 months now. minoxidil doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore.

wi11iam

Reaction score
Hi sadscalp

this is my first post on HairLossTalk.com, i've been a lurker for a couple of months now. I have to say, reading your story, I completely understand and sympathise with your situation and other young guys have to put up with now (me included). I remember the days of having full thick hair and being so cocky and confident, now subconsciously I cannot be that person anymore, no matter how hard i try. my hairloss isn't too bad (probably similar to yours) but its time to be proactive in keeping what i have and possibly getting some back.

Anyway i wish you the best in your treatments, just remember everyone has something they are insecure about (we are lucky that ours is only superficial!).

will

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
just wanted to say that even if finasteride doesnt have the huge effects we all hope for, do keep at it :) some people see a big boost in hair at a year mark and even if you don't, it'll help you maintain what has been, from those pictures, a f*cking awesome improvement. really, if those little baby hairs in the corners of your hairline thickened out a little then youd actually have an awesome look. head looks about the right size and shape to rock the short hair look (not that im saying bald would be great cause this definitely looks better than the before picture)

hope its all going ok man, good to see things are working out for ya so far.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
wi11iam said:
Hi sadscalp

this is my first post on HairLossTalk.com, i've been a lurker for a couple of months now. I have to say, reading your story, I completely understand and sympathise with your situation and other young guys have to put up with now (me included). I remember the days of having full thick hair and being so cocky and confident, now subconsciously I cannot be that person anymore, no matter how hard i try. my hairloss isn't too bad (probably similar to yours) but its time to be proactive in keeping what i have and possibly getting some back.

Anyway i wish you the best in your treatments, just remember everyone has something they are insecure about (we are lucky that ours is only superficial!).

will

Thanks man. Doing much better emotionally than I was when I created this thread.

Good luck with the treatments.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
kthxbi said:
just wanted to say that even if finasteride doesnt have the huge effects we all hope for, do keep at it :) some people see a big boost in hair at a year mark and even if you don't, it'll help you maintain what has been, from those pictures, a f*cking awesome improvement. really, if those little baby hairs in the corners of your hairline thickened out a little then youd actually have an awesome look. head looks about the right size and shape to rock the short hair look (not that im saying bald would be great cause this definitely looks better than the before picture)

hope its all going ok man, good to see things are working out for ya so far.

Hey. Well, my hair is not doing as good as it was when I took those pictures to be honest. It's been a quite noticable decline. The diffuse thinning seemed to kick back into action again a few weeks later, which is really why I started finasteride.
I'm still better off than at baseline, but I have to keep my hair very short again (#1 sides, #3 top). I'm not hating the look too much though, I think it's okay, but if I could get back to the point where I was when I took those pics I'd be content. And TBH that's really why I am a little worried about finasteride not having an effect on me so far. Because when I just used the minoxidil it was a true rollercoaster ride:

2 months: vast improvement, very happy with results. Thicker, healthier, and much, much darker hair (color the same as the sides).
3 months: diffuse thinning kicking into action again. Better than baseline, but lost color, thickness and healthiness.
3 1/2 - 4 months: improving again, this is when the pics where taken. Hair getting darker, thicker and healthier.
4 months - 6 months (present, added finasteride after 5 months): decline, hair not as dark, strong anymore. Hair has been pretty much the same during this time.

So I thought that with the absence of DHT created by finasteride, the minoxidil would kick into action again swiftly and start improving again. But so far it hasn't. My head has started itching these last weeks though, so hopefully the finasteride is doing something at least.

Guess I'll have to stay patient. Thanks for the input by the way, good to get some encouragement :) And you're right, the improvement was really quite brilliant when it was at its best. Hopefully I can get back to that point.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
7 months on minoxidil/2% keto, and 2 months on 1.25mg finasteride. Still no change, still no side effects. Losing patience and belief now, even though I realize 2 months is still somewhat early on finasteride. But being a diffuse thinner I expected some form of improvement after 2 months :(

Never mind regrowth, if I can improve the hair I have on top (which is an acceptable amount counting all the vellus/miniaturized hairs) I'll be happy.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm younger than you, and was on finasteride for 6 months. When I quit it, I think I got the best results, but wasn't satisfied so now I'm on dutasteride. 2 months is still early to expect any sort of result. I think you know that.

sergiotahini

Established Member
Reaction score
2 months is way too early to expect any results from finasteride, although I'm surprised you haven't seen any improvement after 7 months of minoxidil.

I think while a few people are exceptional responders to finasteride and have marked improvement in 3 or 4 months, the majority of people don't really see any results whatsoever until close to 1 year of treatment.

Edit: I just looked through your post again and see you had some good regrowth around month 3 of minoxidil use. If you maintain that new minoxidil hair with finasteride I think your story will be a success.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
sergiotahini said:
2 months is way too early to expect any results from finasteride, although I'm surprised you haven't seen any improvement after 7 months of minoxidil.

I think while a few people are exceptional responders to finasteride and have marked improvement in 3 or 4 months, the majority of people don't really see any results whatsoever until close to 1 year of treatment.

Edit: I just looked through your post again and see you had some good regrowth around month 3 of minoxidil use. If you maintain that new minoxidil hair with finasteride I think your story will be a success.

I had great (and I mean very, very good, considering my hair at baseline) results after just 2 months on minoxidil/keto (which have since subsided a lot), which is partly why I expected quick results with finasteride also.

I have a buzzcut, so any changes to my hair are easy to spot. And being a diffuse thinner/miniaturiazer I expected at least some change after 2 months on finasteride (I expected my hair to gradually become stronger). But absolutely nothing has happened.

Oh well, I'll give an update in a month or so.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way I know that 2 months is early, I'm very aware of that. But I expected something to happen.

Maybe I'm just a quick responder to minoxidil and a slower responder to finasteride. Here's hoping.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
1 week from 3 months on finasteride. If anything my hair has gotten worse. Painfully close to baseline now.

3 months is still somewhat early, but I really can't see how finasteride is gonna have an effect on me at this point, and clearly minoxidil has lost its effect. I'm getting f*cking pissed, because I don't understand how this could be happening. 4-5 months ago my hair was great and I was thrilled with the improvements. Now it is sh*t and has been for the past 3 1/2 months. My scalp is dry and irritated (and my skin up there seems to be slowly coming off in white 'flakes'), and I've pretty much stopped nizoral because it doesn't help me at all.

The reason I don't think finasteride is gonna help me is because I'm a severe diffuse thinner, and my hair hasn't changed one bit (at least not for the better) in the 3 months that I've taken it. I just don't see how it's gonna help me in the coming months either.

God damn I hate this crap. Don't know what to do. I feel that trying other treatments is just a waste of time too. If the Big 3 can't do anything for me then nothing else will.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride makes thinning hair in telogen phase fall out and then it will grow out new hair. Much like a hair transplant. That's why You need at least 6 months(preferably 12) to determine the results.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
LooseItAll said:
finasteride makes thinning hair in telogen phase fall out and then it will grow out new hair. Much like a hair transplant. That's why You need at least 6 months(preferably 12) to determine the results.

I'm staying on it, but I really don't have much hope that it's gonna do something. So far it hasn't, my miniatuarized hairs are still miniatuarized, and there has been no change whatsoever yet. And I buzz my hair, so I'd think that I'd be able to spot results sooner than people who have long(er) hair.

Annoying and disappointing.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
mann02 said:
Any updates?I'm same as urs ..mines worst

Well, it's gotten somewhat better since last update (it started improving again after new years), but it's still a bit off where it was when it was at its best.
Good news is that there are a lot of light/vellus hairs up there, and if I can improve all (or even half) of them it will look decent enough.

Right now I'm just glad something is happening, but I think it's the minoxidil kicking in again for whatever reason. The finasteride doesn't seem to be doing anything (yet), but I'll stay on it.

mann02

Established Member
Reaction score
sadscalp said:
mann02 said:
Any updates?I'm same as urs ..mines worst

Well, it's gotten somewhat better since last update (it started improving again after new years), but it's still a bit off where it was when it was at its best.
Good news is that there are a lot of light/vellus hairs up there, and if I can improve all (or even half) of them it will look decent enough.

Right now I'm just glad something is happening, but I think it's the minoxidil kicking in again for whatever reason. The finasteride doesn't seem to be doing anything (yet), but I'll stay on it.

Y did u get back on finasteride?