Sadscalps Story (23 / NW3+diffuse thinning) PICS pg3

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just need to vent a little bit here.

I am a 23 year old student with NW3 and significant thinning. It's gotten to the point where all the hair on the top of my head is thin and crispy (and lighter than on the sides and back, which makes it even more obvious), so for the last 7 months I have been buzzing it down. I thought that I was slowly moving towards acceptance, but now I've had a setback. A major one. It's funny how things can turn around on you in just a matter of weeks, huh?

In junior high I was a very popular guy. I was good at sports, popular with the girls and guys, and loved life. But as I was getting older I started developing social anxiety, decreasing confidence, depression and, for the last 4-5 years, male pattern baldness, which is just the icing on the cake.

My life hasn't exactly turned out the way I hoped it would. I don't feel like I have any talents anymore (gave up sports a long time ago), I'm studying something that I don't really care about (in lack of a better option), most of my friends don't really call me anymore or want to hang out (which I admit I'm somewhat to blame for), my best friend whom I've known since we were like 5 now wants to move out and in with another friend of mine (which is not only embarrassing for me, but a pretty f*****g a**h** thing to do), and most of the time I don't feel attractive at all. I feel that people are looking at me like I'm a freak, and that they're ridiculing me behind my back. I have very juvenile looks, and a bald head (or the state that I'm in now) definitely doesn't suit me. With hair, I'm fairly attractive. Without it, I look silly. I don't feel respected anymore because of it, I feel pitied. I feel like people are thinking "aww, he used to look good when he was younger, how sad", and it makes me extremely bitter.

My family know that I've been struggling lately, but I don't think they know how serious it has become. This is supposed to be the best years of my life, and somehow it has become the opposite. I mean, I'm 23 and I've never really even had a girlfriend. It's f*****g sad. I look back at my life (already) and I keep thinking that I've blown it. I've blown my chance at doing the things that I want to do in life. It might be a silly thought, but that's how I feel. I don't really want to do anything, I'm nervous every time I walk out the front door fearing that people will judge me and laugh at me, and I just want my life to end. I don't have the looks nor the personality that I once had or wish I had, and I truly despise who I have become, both physically and mentally. I feel that everything I am is the exact opposite of what I want to be, and what I've always thought I would be. The only thing keeping me alive is my family, whom I love very much. I mean, what's the point of living when you're not happy anyway? I certainly can't see it.

The thing that really f*****g tops it off for me is the fact that some people are just so god damn insensitive when it comes to baldness. I've had quite a few extremely offensive comments thrown my way ("have you gotten cancer?" - who says something like that?), and if it's not that it's people poking fun at my hair in a more harmless way, which I try to laugh off as best as I can. But why is it socially acceptable to ridicule balding/bald men but not women with flat chests or a little extra weight? Would these same people say to a woman that she's gotten a few wrinkles lately? Exactly. f*****g pisses me off.

I don't have the economy nor the guts to take Propecia or anything else, and frankly I really don't even see the point. My hair loss has gotten to the point where I feel that it's no use, I'd be stuck with a buzz cut anyway. It's either a cure or complete baldness for me.

I know that my post is really negative and pessimistic, but I just needed to get it off my chest. I'm gonna try to end this on a more positive note. I'm not going to commit suicide or anything, you don't have to worry about that, it's just the way that I feel at the moment. I both hope and believe that things will get better for me, because they certainly can't get much worse.

Thanks for reading. I love you all, my balding brothers, I really do, and I wish you all the best.

Omaha

Reaction score
Re: sadscalps story (23yo NW3+diffuse thinning)

Sadscalp, you are half my age, exactly. Would it make you feel better if I said I would give up my hair (such as it is) to be your age again?

All I can tell you is that your hair means a lot more to you than it does to anyone else. If people make comments, its only because they consider it a "safe" area...surely those same people wouldn't joke about an actual deformity. They are comfortable commenting because its one of those things that humanizes all of us.

So, I say dig in, put a good routine together (ie, Rogaine, Propecia, Nizoral) and give it some time to work. In the mean time, hit the gym, hit the library, do something! Get out there and make something happen. Feel good about yourself. Right now, you are locked into a negative pattern. Break it!

Good luck to you!

cuebald

Reaction score
Re: Sadscalps Story (23 / NW3+diffuse thinning)

I am the same age as you (23) and am struggling. What is the point getting a good job and being fit if I have this absurd NW4 making me look actually ill.
Any girl I get could easily be stolen by the next NW1 who tries it on.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

Wow man I can totally relate to how you feel. I'm going through the same sh*t and im only 20. Feel like im wasting my life because I am not attractive to women my age. I don't even hang out with friends anymore, all they care about is casing tail, something i can't take part in. People in their 20's are so superficial it makes me sick, and going bald at such a young age is something they can't even process. IDK what the answer is but all we can do is get on with life the best with can, work on our careers, be thankful for what we do have and hope that someday things might change.

strifestrike

Reaction score

C'mon guys is it really that bad? I am the same age as you guys and chasing tail is always gonna be something guys are after, no matter what their age. Balding sucks but is it really the end of the world, I go to clubs and see guys of all shapes sizes and hair counts getting girls, its easier with hair but not even close to impossible when you are balding. Being bold and confident is definitely more important than any physical attribute and also just trying a lot.

Thats not because it makes you more attractive (although it probably does) but because its hard for people to say no when somewhen is trying to get with you. For example one of the ugliest girls I have ever hooked up with was someone who was crazy *** bold, she just pushed me up against a wall and started hooking up with me and I felt weird saying no get the f*** away from me. And then she just turned out to be a hot f*** even if she wasn't good looking.

That was kind of a random rant but I would just like to say that looks are far from the only thing that matters in the mating game.

Nene

Reaction score

strifestrike said:
C'mon guys is it really that bad?

Yes it really is that bad. You must not have much hair loss yet. To be at an age where you should be looking for a wife or enjoying being a young man, you lose your hair and look old. Now your potential wife is not gonna be the women she could've been, now all your social interactions are going to change. Women will give you 0 attention when you go out. Children will cry at the very sight of you. You will never have the luxury of people thinking you look young or good for your age. How is it not that bad?

cuebald

Reaction score

I met a girl and was getting to know her. She was average lookswise, which suits me better anyway as I am average (below average with no hair) - but she was intelligent, fun, wasn't a waster, etc.

Had a few "dates" and we were getting along fine, thought it might even progress further. Took her to the pub for a small gathering, and another single friend I hadn't seen in ages turned up.
We're pretty similar me and him apart from he has a NW1 of long thick wavy sandy blonde hair.

Well, that was it, she was hooked on everything he said and I might as well not have even been there. I even thought back to posts on here "You need to be Bolder" "You need more attitude" "Cocky and Funny" and all of that sh*t - but it was just awkward. That stuff is true enough if you're in your thirties upwards, but in the early twenties that's just not how it works. Nothing I said or did would have changed anything.

This is just one small grain of turd among the vast dunes of sh*t that a young Bald man deals with in life.
I will have to wait until I'm in my thirties before I'm on a level playing field with other guys my age.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

Yah, I honestly think if i was 10 years older and starting to go bald i wouldn't care nearly as much as i do now. To be a diffuse nw4 at age 20 is just cruel, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

M

macimate

This is absurd reading, aswell as some of the responses.
Ladies DO not care for looks as much as men do, women are naturally designed to look for men who can aid them in survival, a strong man - not in the physical sense but psychologically. The most important thing, I know it sounds cliché, is confidence and having a strong frame. Women do NOT care for looks as much as you think they do.

I strongly suggest you look into some books on game (picking up women) and learn what it is exactly that triggers attraction. Neil Strauss who is the author of the best-seller "The Game" is small, completely bald and doesn't really have a handsome face, nonetheless he has dated some amazingly hot women (10's).

Only the really superficial girls judge a man by his looks and would you want to hang out with her anyways?

HeHateMe23

Reaction score

OP, I feel like I could have written all that.

That almost described my life so far almost to a tee. I'm just two years younger.

My diffusion on top has caused so much anxiety and depression... I hate it.

Every opportunity to go out to the club or bars I turn down because of it. My friends don't understand because they're not going through it.

The only thing that's keepin me motivated is the gym and school.. Being bald is unattractive, but if you can get ripped, you can still get the attention you want even though you're bald... at least that's how I look at it.

Yeah that sounds shallow, but that's how society is.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

macimate said:
This is absurd reading, aswell as some of the responses.
Ladies DO not care for looks as much as men do, women are naturally designed to look for men who can aid them in survival, a strong man - not in the physical sense but psychologically. The most important thing, I know it sounds cliché, is confidence and having a strong frame. Women do NOT care for looks as much as you think they do.

I strongly suggest you look into some books on game (picking up women) and learn what it is exactly that triggers attraction. Neil Strauss who is the author of the best-seller "The Game" is small, completely bald and doesn't really have a handsome face, nonetheless he has dated some amazingly hot women (10's).

Only the really superficial girls judge a man by his looks and would you want to hang out with her anyways?

Well, no, but it would've been nice to shag them :(

Just kidding man. Look, deep down I know that what you're saying is right, I do. I'm just having a hard time right now. The teenage depression period came late for me, I guess.

I'm feeling a little bit better now though. I had a few beers with my best friend (not the guy I live with) and his girlfriend the other day and told them that I've been struggling for a while, and it helped to get that off my chest. The whole thing sparked off when I was at their place a day earlier and he said "hey, in this lighting you actually look bald, awesome", to which I replied "yeah, it f*cking sucks.." in an irritated way. He knew that I took it personal and apologized right after, so I said that I knew he didn't mean anything by it, and the next day he showed up at my door with beers and we had a good long talk about some of the issues that have been bothering me these last couple of years. He said that he'd always seen me as "the cool guy", which kind of shocked me to be honest, but it felt good to hear it. His GF also said that she had struggled a couple of years earlier, and that she'd actually seen a psychologist/psychiatrist or whatever for a year, which I was quite shocked to hear (she's quite stunning). Just proves that people have issues doesn't it, balding or non-balding, and I think this is quite underrated on here. People struggle with lots of things, even if they do have a full head of hair. They might "pity" you for one thing, but envy you for another.

What pisses me off about this site though are all the NW1's coming on here complaining about how their life is ruined because one of their follicles has stopped producing hair. They really don't know what receding is. But the worst part for me is the thinning. It's painfully obvious that I'm balding now, and even though I cut my hair with a clipper at #2 it's still very obvious, you can see the scalp clearly. I just hate the thought of going to my hometown in the summer and getting comments from everyone. I'm seriously considering setting the clipper at #0 now and just say f*ck it. The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that I have a mole on the top of my head! As if balding wasn't enough :D

Anyway, I've decided to give my middle finger to God or whoever and try to stop worrying so much about my looks and what people think of me. I'm going to change my personality and become the cool and funny guy that I once was. Think happy thoughts!

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I'm NW3 with significant thinning too, but I have a girlfriend so hang in there. It is possible.. :dunno:

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

JerryMaguire said:
OP, I feel like I could have written all that.

That almost described my life so far almost to a tee. I'm just two years younger.

My diffusion on top has caused so much anxiety and depression... I hate it.

Every opportunity to go out to the club or bars I turn down because of it. My friends don't understand because they're not going through it.

The only thing that's keepin me motivated is the gym and school.. Being bald is unattractive, but if you can get ripped, you can still get the attention you want even though you're bald... at least that's how I look at it.

Yeah that sounds shallow, but that's how society is.

I feel for you man, it's the exact same for me. Just keep your chin up and hit those weights, something I'm seriously considering doing myself :)

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

Well then, I've decided to give some treatments a try. I figured that I'd probably end up regretting it if I didn't try anything, so I've decided to try minoxidil, Nizoral and Saw Palmetto for 6 months. I've already taken SP for 2 months, don't really know if it has done anything so far, but I'll stick with it. The reason I'm taking SP and not Propecia/Proscar is because of the cost, plus I'm scared of the potential permanent side effects (I know SP also have potential side effects, but I've not noticed anything so far, except for maybe a tiny bit of testicle pain, but I don't know if that was from the SP or what it was, and either way I don't get them anymore).

So, minoxidil, nizoral and SP for 6 months, let's see how it goes. My goal is to get some more density on the top (especially in the front of my hairline) and turn the vellus hairs on my temples into terminal. I'll be very happy if that is to be the case, although I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

So, either this works or I'm gonna say f*ck it for good, and get on with my life. Wish me luck fellas.

Oh, and by the way I've been doing a bit of exercise lately, and it has done wonders for my psyche. I'd recommend it to everyone. Plus I've grown out a bit of facial hair, which makes the balding look look much better, even though I have pretty crappy facial hair.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

Sooo, 1 week on nizoral and minoxidil. No side effects or anything out of the ordinary.

1 question though: you're supposed to see a difference within 2 months or something right? Should I be able to spot results sooner since I'm sporting a buzz cut?

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

Sooo, 2 months on minoxidil and nizoral. I quit SP after a few weeks because, well, I just didn't like it. Anyway, a little over 2 months have gone by, and I think I'm improving. My hair seems to have gotten a little bit of color back, seems darker now, and it also seems more "healthy". It's not so wispy and dead anymore. Plus I think I'm seeing some improvements on my "hairline", if you could call it that. There seem to be some hairs popping up in the temples.
No revolutionary success, but enough to have me stick with the treatments, at least for 3 more months. I'm still sporting a buzzcut, because I've grown to like it, and I don't think I'd even want to grow my hair out if I could.

I'll report back in another month or so.

Halp

Reaction score

Good to hear, hope your life is improving in other aspects too.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

ABandInHope said:
Good to hear, hope your life is improving in other aspects too.

Absolutely. I struggled for a while there, but for the last month or so things have really started to pick up for me. I'm not even that bothered that I'm losing my hair anymore.

7-8 months of emotional hell, but there was light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Cybergod

Reaction score

Your thread hit quite close to home considering i'm only a year younger than you and share similar emotions. Glad to see you have such a positive attitude.

There is one thing I feel the need to advise you on though; which is every single story i've read about a guy with male pattern baldness who only uses minoxidil and no dht blocker fails eventually. The minoxidil does nothing to offset one of the main culprits, DHT. (I know nizoral is potentially a dht remover, but from what I've witnessed it's nowhere near as strong as a non-topical).

Not sure if theres a reason you didn't use propecia, but I suggest if you can tolerate potential side effects you get on it a.s.a.p =).

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

Cybergod said:
Your thread hit quite close to home considering i'm only a year younger than you and share similar emotions. Glad to see you have such a positive attitude.

There is one thing I feel the need to advise you on though; which is every single story i've read about a guy with male pattern baldness who only uses minoxidil and no dht blocker fails eventually. The minoxidil does nothing to offset one of the main culprits, DHT. (I know nizoral is potentially a dht remover, but from what I've witnessed it's nowhere near as strong as a non-topical).

Not sure if theres a reason you didn't use propecia, but I suggest if you can tolerate potential side effects you get on it a.s.a.p =).

I know I should, but I'm a little bit scared of messing with my hormones. Plus, I don't really have the economy for it. But I might consider it in the future.

Anyway, just wanted to say that there's definitely improvements up there. Just came back from a trip with my family, and both my sister and my mother commented that my hair had gotten thicker and darker. My mum even said that I could grow my hair out if I wanted to, and she might be right, but I don't really think it would look very good, so I'm sticking with the buzz. The bad thing about my hair getting its color back is the fact that my huge temples are now more visible, naturally because the contrast is bigger. But I don't really care too much about that, I'm just happy that I'm improving. And there are some hairs popping up in the temples, so if they keep getting stronger my temples will become a little smaller. Definitely more density, and thicker, stronger hairs up there.

I've gotten some "sides" now though, but they are mostly happy sides. My beard has gotten very much thicker, stronger and darker, and I've gotten more hair on my arms, and even more nose hair (which I could do without, they're f*cking huge).

Anyway, quite big improvements considering I'm only a little over 2 months in. Hopefully I'll keep improving. I'll check back in a month or so.