Rules of Lifting

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Every single day I'm in the gym, I see more and more idiots lifting like crap. 1/4 ROM curls, slamming the bar off their chest while benching etc. In light of that, here's my rules that should ensure a healthy lifting career...And will keep you from looking like a dumb *** at the gym.

1. Please use full range of motion. There is nothing that will make you prone to injuries than doing only partial reps. Sure, there's a place for partial reps, but unless you're experienced enough to know when, how and why to use them, they are not for you.

2. You must have body balance. If you can bench 300lbs, but can only row 150lbs, you are grossly out of balance. Your pushing and pulling muscles should be close to each other in strength. If you're grossly out of balance one way or the other, you can develop shoulder problems.

3. Speaking of shoulders, you don't really need a separate day for shoulders. Your shoulders already get worked from benching, rowing and some tricep exercises. Work shoulders on one of these days.

4. Don't neglect the lower body. If you haven't squatted or dead lifted in a while, or ever, start now. Twig legs look stupid holding up a huge upper body.

5. Stop worrying about how to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club when you haven't even touched a weight or done cardio in years. Learn the basics and get some muscle 1st. Then, figure out a specialization routine to hit your goals.

6. Warm up properly before lifting. If you want to get injured, forgetting to warm up properly before lifting heavy is a great way to do it.

7. Stretch before and after lifting heavy. You don't need to spend 15 minutes stretching out, but a few basic stretches here and there go a long way.

8. Even if you don't have shoulder problems, start doing rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer exercises. If you do have shoulder problems, this is even more important for you.

9. Switch up your lifting programs. Just because 3 sets of 10 worked for you 4 years ago, doesn't mean that it's still working now. Muscles adapt, so mix it up.

10. Your "personal trainer" probably doesn't know sh*t. Hell, you can become a personal trainer for a few hundred dollars with little to no actual knowledge. Listen to what they say, then research it...If it's false, fire them as your trainer and report them to the management (if they're employees of the gym you belong to).

11. Learn how to lift properly. If you are unsure of your form, read up on proper lifting technique. Then either get someone you trust to check out your lifts, or video tape yourself and post it on a lifting forum. There are many forums where body builders, power lifters and reputable personal trainers have no problem critiquing your lifts and giving you feedback. Better yet, do both.

12. Always keep reading up on lifting/exercising/nutrition. The knowledge you had 10 years ago is probably outdated by now.

13. Most supplements are junk. Just because XYZ company says their supplement is better than sliced bread doesn't mean it's true. I'm reminded of the old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Research and read reviews on every supplement you want to buy. Based on that information, make an informed decision.

14. If you want to get big, lift big, eat big, rest big and change up your exercise selection and program frequently.

15. If it hurts, stop. The simplest way to avoid injury is just that. If you feel pain that shouldn't be there, stop what you're doing and see rule # 11. If rule #11 doesn't apply, are you overtrained, under nourished, un-rested? The saying, "pain is gain" does not mean actual harmful pain.

16. You are only as strong as your weakest link. (This goes hand in hand with # 15) IE: Never forget your stabilizer muscles! Find your weakest link and work it till it's no longer the weakest link. Then move on to your new weakest link.

(Ah, I was bored and felt like writing)

CCS

Reaction score
good stuff. All stuff I learned in the last 6 months or so. But good. Well, thanks for the row vs bench info. I was wondering if I'm balanced. Mine are within 10% of each other.

I can bench about twice what I can curl: is that balanced? I'm talking about standing curls and flat bench.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thankes for carring Harrie :)

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
good stuff. All stuff I learned in the last 6 months or so. But good.

I know, it is mostly basic advice, but I'm amazed at how many people I see that have terrible lifting technique, do the same program for years at a time, don't eat much at all etc.

I can bench about twice what I can curl: is that balanced? I'm talking about standing curls and flat bench.

How much you can bench and curl doesn't need to be anywhere equal. Some people can do raw bench of 600+ pounds. There is no way those same people can curl anywhere close to that.

Opposing muscles need to get equal training time. If you do 3 sets of 10 reps on curls, you should be devoting that much time to your triceps too. If you do a lot of military presses, you need to devote just as much time to pull-ups etc.

Push/pull muscles are very important to keep in balance though because it will make your shoulders internally or externally (usually internally) rotated...Which sets you up for shoulder problems.

CCS

Reaction score
OK, keep the number and type of sets and reps equal for opposing movements, and the muscles should grow evenly. Got it.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK, keep the number and type of sets and reps equal for opposing movements, and the muscles should grow evenly. Got it.

Yup, pretty much. You don't have to train them on the same day or anything...Just as long as you train them evenly, or close to evenly.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My recommendations are too based on my own history. You try to pass on practical knowledge based on your mistakes. I'm in my late twenties, and started lifting at thirteen or fourteen. I neglected my lower body, and focused way too much on arms till around seventeen. Once I corrected those mistakes my growth was exponential.

I've now begun to focus more on cables, and isometric exercise, and less on free weights. Except for freedom of movement, free weights are too restrictive in too many ways. Just the battle of inertia, and those darned sticking points gets annoying to me. I now balance my time between isotonic resistance, with isometric as my foundation.

But I pretty much placed all of my recommendations on this site... for anyone wanting to search on them. Harie's list is also very good as well. Any list that has evolved through years of practical experience is a good place to start.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Harie said:
Every single day I'm in the gym, I see more and more idiots lifting like crap. 1/4 ROM curls, slamming the bar off their chest while benching etc.

good list, but does the way other people in the gym lift really bother you as much as to waste 30 minutes of your time writing this?

17. Worry about how you're working out, not other people. And always - always, do excercises that develop inner chest.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dietcola said:
Harie said:
Every single day I'm in the gym, I see more and more idiots lifting like crap. 1/4 ROM curls, slamming the bar off their chest while benching etc.

good list, but does the way other people in the gym lift really bother you as much as to waste 30 minutes of your time writing this?

17. Worry about how you're working out, not other people. And always - always, do excercises that develop inner chest.
with everything i learn about how to lift corectly i notice more how everybody's making mistakes and i find that it is a bit disturbing actually so im sure if i was 30 and working out for years it would piss me off and id have to run and do alot of excercises that develop inner chest to relax

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
with everything i learn about how to lift corectly i notice more how everybody's making mistakes and i find that it is a bit disturbing actually so im sure if i was 30 and working out for years it would piss me off and id have to run and do alot of excercises that develop inner chest to relax

Bingo. And first starting out you're prone to repeat the mistakes of others. Heck, I've even seen instructors teaching fundamentally improper technique and unsound exercises. I bet some of them even know very little about basic kinesiology and human physiology.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dietcola said:

I'm at work writing this, so I'm not wasting any of my time since I have time to kill waiting for 4:30pm to arrive. As you can tell, I have a very demanding job. :lol:

Actually, I find it amusing to watch people lifting like crap. It's pretty funny sometimes. Between sets while I'm resting, I make a point to look around to see what I see. Anytime I can lol at the gym is a good day.

dietcola said:
And always - always, do excercises that develop inner chest
:roll:

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Harie said:
dietcola said:

You should do exercises that build and isolate your frontal and underside chest regions too. I believe the technical term is the backtal. :)
you cant teach an old dog new tricks

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
I believe the technical term is the backtal. :)

Ah yes, the ol' backtal region. :lol:

The Gardener

Reaction score
18. Please refrain from farting during your set

19. In the steam room, please keep your hands OFF of my backtal, and my wang, unless specifically invited to do so.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:
dietcola said:

I'm at work writing this, so I'm not wasting any of my time since I have time to kill waiting for 4:30pm to arrive. As you can tell, I have a very demanding job. :lol:

Actually, I find it amusing to watch people lifting like crap. It's pretty funny sometimes. Between sets while I'm resting, I make a point to look around to see what I see. Anytime I can lol at the gym is a good day.

dietcola said:

I know this is harmless, but I laughed when I saw one guy doing crunches while his partner bounced a light beach ball on his abs after each rep. I laughed out loud.

CCS

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
18. Please refrain from farting during your set

19. In the steam room, please keep your hands OFF of my backtal, and my wang, unless specifically invited to do so.

20. No farting in the steam room. No peeing in the hot tub.

The Gardener

Reaction score
21. When making noises to vocalize the muscle strain, don't use the same noises that you make while having sex.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
21. When making noises to vocalize the muscle strain, don't use the same noises that you make while having sex.

only you would know what the guys in the gym sound like during sex :lol: