RU 250mg per day is actually working

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Around the past 2 months, I've been losing 50+ hairs in the shower and I decided to increase my RU dosage from 50mg a day to 250mg, applying 125mg morning and night. I've been applying 250mg for 4 days and in the past 2 days I experienced headaches so I knew the RU was working. Today is the 5th day and experiencing no headache. I wash my hair every other day and my hair loss went from losing 85 hairs on Tuesday, 50 on Thursday, and 30 today (Saturday). I haven't lost 30 hairs in the shower in a long time and hopefully I'm able to maintain with this dosage without sides. Another user reported decreased shedding on RU to having the shedding come back again but even worse; hopefully that won't be my faith. My regimen right now is RU 250mg ED, 1.25mg oral finasteride ED, 2.5mg topical finasteride ED, 1.25mg topical duta per week.

Will update with progress.

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been applying the RU only to my hairline and the front of my scalp instead of applying it all over the top of my head like I used to. I recently did an experiment where I only washed the back and crown of my head with shampoo and conditioner and the haircatcher had 0 hairs. Literally 0. I washed the front of my hair and the hair catcher showed that's where most of my hairloss comes from.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just curious because there are users reporting that it can go systemic.

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just curious because there are users reporting that it can go systemic.
Are there actual studies stating that RU decreases test levels if it goes systemic or are you just speculating? Not all anti-androgens are the same, for example, bicalutamide raises test levels. But I do feel like it's going systemic but I don't experience any harsh side effects from it (right now). I experienced headaches for 2 days but they went away (a sign it went systemic), and I also experience VERY mild tightness in my throat about 30 mins after I apply it. I have applied RU after microneedling before and the tightness was a lot more noticeable.

HairlessGawd

My Regimen
Reaction score
Those don't sound like tolerable sides for the longterm... I'd be scared from using it that high.

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those don't sound like tolerable sides for the longterm... I'd be scared from using it that high.
I'm not experiencing heart palpitations, gyno, or loss of libido from it. How is a very mild tightness in my throat that's probably caused from increased blood pressure not tolerable long term?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re on the ultimate maintenance regimen. Did you get any regrowth? Also, what’s your Norwood?

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re on the ultimate maintenance regimen. Did you get any regrowth? Also, what’s your Norwood?
I'm around a NW1.5-1.75. Don't consider myself a NW2 just yet (could be coping). MPMD experienced some increased density from RU https://moreplatesmoredates.com/ru58841/ I'm hoping to do the same. All I'm hoping for is maintenance tho since my hairline isn't too bad. I'm approaching a week into the treatment and will keep you posted on future results

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
100mg is a high dose. You must be adding 8 grams per 60ml. Any issues with dissolving that much RU.

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
100mg is a high dose. You must be adding 8 grams per 60ml. Any issues with dissolving that much RU.
I'm using 125mg per 1.5ml, which equals 83.3mg per 1ml. I did have some trouble dissolving it but a little bit of elbow grease did the job. Today I lost 50 hairs in the shower but it's finals week and sleep is being sacrificed. Hopefully my shedding improves next week.

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is absolute overkill
If you are using topical dutasteride then you don't need topical finasteride nor oral finasteride.
Specially since you are using RU58841. Your dose is extremely high as well

I lose 5 hairs a day on topical dutasteride. I use 0.1% now every other day, 2ml
Scalp DHT has been reduced almost 90%

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are using topical dutasteride then you don't need topical finasteride nor oral finasteride.

I lose 5 hairs a day on topical dutasteride. I use 0.1% now every other day, 2ml
This is good info, thank you. Do you know how much topical duta affects serum DHT?

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your not the first one OP. @peewee did lose hair on oral dutasteride but he is doing 500mg a day and that is maintaing him.
For those who can handle RU, dose it high!!

AndrewBarnes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply. 0.1% = 1mg right? I can only dose topical duta at 1mg per week without sides. Are you using a liposome vehicle? I'm using the standard 70% ethanol 30% PG.

thinincrown

Established Member
Reaction score
Around the past 2 months, I've been losing 50+ hairs in the shower and I decided to increase my RU dosage from 50mg a day to 250mg, applying 125mg morning and night. I've been applying 250mg for 4 days and in the past 2 days I experienced headaches so I knew the RU was working. Today is the 5th day and experiencing no headache. I wash my hair every other day and my hair loss went from losing 85 hairs on Tuesday, 50 on Thursday, and 30 today (Saturday). I haven't lost 30 hairs in the shower in a long time and hopefully I'm able to maintain with this dosage without sides. Another user reported decreased shedding on RU to having the shedding come back again but even worse; hopefully that won't be my faith. My regimen right now is RU 250mg ED, 1.25mg oral finasteride ED, 2.5mg topical finasteride ED, 1.25mg topical duta per week.

Will update with progress.
RU still works great for me, 10 years later. I never have the itch and the minute I miss a dose my scalp is itches like crazy.
It may “dead” to some people but the stuff still works for me w/o sides