Rosemary oil peppermint oil question

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone who has used or is using either rosemary oil and/or peppermint oil for cleansing scalp etc has noticed any shedding when first using?

I've used both in the passed and really liked them but stopped as felt they made my hair a bit limp but have a new mechanism of applying now which should avoid this, just worried about starting a shed. Don't think it will but as they can potentially also work in a similar way to minoxidil I'm a bit paranoid as minoxidil gave me a huge shed when I used it years ago.

I can't remember noticing a shed last time I used the oils but wondered if anyone had any input?

Cheers

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I add 6 oils to minoxidil (all mixed and one full shot to the minoxidil bottle). Did not notice any shed but you should not just put the oils directly on scalp with no carrier or if you do - they say shower off after about 15 mins. I guess if you have no irritation then ok to leave on.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last time I used rosemary and peppermint I used olive oil or castor oil as carrier but the whole mix left my hair limp. I know they are not water soluble but in my experience with only a few drops I mix with water before putting on, wait 10 minutes and rinse with magnesium oil and dead sea salt dissolved in water, gives my hair incredible texture.

No shedding 3 days in and zero greasyness, makes my scalp feel amazing as well. Time will tell.

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone who has used or is using either rosemary oil and/or peppermint oil for cleansing scalp etc has noticed any shedding when first using?

I've used both in the passed and really liked them but stopped as felt they made my hair a bit limp but have a new mechanism of applying now which should avoid this, just worried about starting a shed. Don't think it will but as they can potentially also work in a similar way to minoxidil I'm a bit paranoid as minoxidil gave me a huge shed when I used it years ago.

I can't remember noticing a shed last time I used the oils but wondered if anyone had any input?

Cheers
I use both and have noticed no shedding.

Well ... I did get shedding, but I assume that was due to the minoxidil, not the oils.

In any case, shedding is a good thing. You should want to see shedding. Without shedding, you won't get regrowth. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use both and have noticed no shedding.

Well ... I did get shedding, but I assume that was due to the minoxidil, not the oils.

In any case, shedding is a good thing. You should want to see shedding. Without shedding, you won't get regrowth. Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it too.
I agree with you to a degree and expect some shedding but not like what I experienced on minoxidil years ago. I lost a lot of healthy hairs, not only the ones on way out. It just wasn't for me. Also not on finasteride etc so very rarely have much shedding. Also if somehow something can kick start dormant hairs (I'm not expecting the oils to do this btw) the shedding of dormant hairs would be impossible to see as they are so small.

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you to a degree and expect some shedding but not like what I experienced on minoxidil years ago. I lost a lot of healthy hairs, not only the ones on way out. It just wasn't for me. Also not on finasteride etc so very rarely have much shedding. Also if somehow something can kick start dormant hairs (I'm not expecting the oils to do this btw) the shedding of dormant hairs would be impossible to see as they are so small.
There's a good article on the main site about shedding you should look up.

If your hair fell out from using some hair-loss treatment, it was ready to go anyway, whether it "looked healthy" or not.

At least, that is my understanding.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a good article on the main site about shedding you should look up.

If your hair fell out from using some hair-loss treatment, it was ready to go anyway, whether it "looked healthy" or not.

At least, that is my understanding.
When did you start adding the oils to your minoxidil, and did you notice any extra benefit?

I wish I'd used this technique when I tried peppermint and rosemary years ago, it was def the carrier castor/olive oil that put me off and made my hair limp. There is literally no residue or loss in volume/texture now with the new way of applying it and scalp feel amazing. I'm assuming adding to minoxidil is similar with none of the greasyness you get with carrier oils.

fatelephant

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When did you start adding the oils to your minoxidil, and did you notice any extra benefit?

I wish I'd used this technique when I tried peppermint and rosemary years ago, it was def the carrier castor/olive oil that put me off and made my hair limp. There is literally no residue or loss in volume/texture now with the new way of applying it and scalp feel amazing. I'm assuming adding to minoxidil is similar with none of the greasyness you get with carrier oils.
I actually started using rosemary, lavender, peppermint and emu oil (as the carrier) before I started using minoxdil, so I can't judge what caused what really. Also, my hair is cut short so I don't notice much with how it makes my hair look.

Since I've grown it out a bit now, to about 2cm long, it does make my hair look greasy. But I put toppik in it (which clings really well when the hair is oily), so I don't notice anything.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually started using rosemary, lavender, peppermint and emu oil (as the carrier) before I started using minoxdil, so I can't judge what caused what really. Also, my hair is cut short so I don't notice much with how it makes my hair look.

Since I've grown it out a bit now, to about 2cm long, it does make my hair look greasy. But I put toppik in it (which clings really well when the hair is oily), so I don't notice anything.
I occasionally use nanogen, but with oily hair it doesn't mix well for me, works better when my hair is more textured and dry.