Rogaine Shed After quitting

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. if minoxidil did not help you at all then don't panick. ( like I did ) minoxidil only works great for about 30% of the men that use it.(regrowth)
For most it does not help at all. But what happens after you start minoxidil, even if it does not give you regrowth, is that the hairs you initially shed go into a synchronised growthfase. All those hairs will first shed,allmost all together, after you stop using minoxidil. It takes about a year for the haircycle to return to normal after stopping minoxidil. Good luck!

Wow that long huh?

I don't know if I am getting a post minoxidil shed. I used minoxidil every day, usually 2x a day, from March 2015 until October 2015. The reasons I quit: didn't seem to be doing anything and it was drying my scalp out. Always made my hair look terrible. And I found it a hassle to apply it before bed. I always would forget until the last second, then have to wait an extra 30 minutes before I slept so my hair could dry. Also, it was usually the very first thing I did when I woke up, and I found the ritual depressing- mainly because after 6.5 months of applying it, the most I saw was a little bit of peach fuzz on my hairline, and even then I'm pretty sure that was there before hand.
Ultimately, the reason I quit was because I realized that I'd never know if I was maintaining or not on minoxidil. I realized I wasn't on finasteride, and once I started finasteride, I'd be guessing about which med was working. I thought about it, and shuddered at the thought: what if I was spending money and time and hassle on applying minoxidil daily, and it was doing absolutely nothing for me but drying my scalp and hair? What if I see regrowth while taking both meds? How do I know if its the minoxidil or finasteride?

What I'm going to do now is start finasteride for a year, assess the effectiveness of THAT, and then add minoxidil and see what's up. I advise anyone thinking of trying minoxidil to try finasteride first. You do not want to get into this growth cycle back and forth BS. If you want to save your hair, you'll probably need finasteride anyway as that is what stops the balding.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
That's great advice. I got on minoxidil the second I saw some temple thinning, and I wish I got on finasteride instead, because minoxidil did nothing for me except make me shed like crazy when I got on it and when I quit.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
That's great advice. I got on minoxidil the second I saw some temple thinning, and I wish I got on finasteride instead, because minoxidil did nothing for me except make me shed like crazy when I got on it and when I quit.

How long before your hair recovered after quitting? (if it did at all)?

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
He means it makes surrounding hairs dependant, his statement about going totally bald though is stupid and uninformed, if your are NW2 and go to a NW1.5 thanks to minoxidil, and you then stop applying minoxidil, at the very worse you will go to like NW2.5 but it wouldn't get worse than that.

But what if you started finasteride after quitting minoxidil?

- - - Updated - - -

How long before your hair recovered after quitting? (if it did at all)?

Well, it's been about 5 months since I stopped using minoxidil, and coupled with my finasteride sheds, things are not looking good. My hairline at the temples is still there, however you can't even see it because there are like 80% less hairs there. At the center of my hairline, I'd say I lost only around 50%. I haven't seen any regrowth since the minoxidil shed, but I am optimistic about the future as my hair was not that bad pre-minoxidil. I'd be the happiest person in the world if my hair just returned to where it was pre-minoxidil and was maintained with finasteride, then in the future, dutasteride.

Rockinlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Giving up on Minoxidil

Have been using the 10 percent solution and haven't seen much of a difference. Might quit in a year. However, these stories are frightening.

greatreader

Reaction score
head itching

I use minoxidil but I am not sure if it is the cause of all the itching or it's just there.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi, i used minoxidil for 1 year minoxidil 2% with 0 results(without finasteride). than i swithched to 5%(+finas) for 3 weeks, i've been shedding a lot, so i decided to quit it. my question is: the hairs i lost with the initial shed will come back after quit minox5%?

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
I used Rogaine topical twice a day for around 3 to 4 months then I've added Rogaine foam as well but started doing it only once a day the next 6 months. I got greedy because I have a large area to cover as a diffuse thinner so I was doing around 3 to 5 ml once a day and I got side effects like headaches, tiredness, forgetfulness, had problems concentrating (well that one I can't be sure but I attribute it to minoxidil lowering my blood pressure) ocassional heart aches, like low intensity pain piercing my heart and two times I've felt I was going to faint with severe headaches in the temples which happened half an hour after I've applied Rogaine foam which I also attribute to minoxidil lowering my blood pressure.

I quit minoxidil at the end of October so it's been 3 months now. Well for the last two weeks I've noticed that I'm shedding hairs much more than usual and they are everywhere, it's on my lap top, in my food, on my table, almost every time I run my hand through my hair there's at least one or two hairs falling off. Even after I wash my hair I'm still shedding which didn't happen before. I've noticed these most of the hairs look pretty thin and weak so I definitely think this is a post minoxidil shed.

Anyway it was stupid from me to use larger those and now I've unfortunately developed sides that happen even when I use 1 ml dose once a day. But then again my temples were receding at the same pace so I didn't see any improvements except the thickening effect that it had immediately after applying minoxidil. But this was only while my hair was soaked with minoxidil.

Has anyone else noticed the thickening effect from the minoxidil after the applying similar to the thickening shampoos? It doesn't really thicken the hair but rather works like a hair booster? Are there any styling foams that can achieve the similar results?
Ye man its a volomizing blow drye gell i use IT bigsexyhair is the name