Rogaine Shed After quitting

danimaldonado

Reaction score
I was using rogaine for about one year. I was using it twice daily for about six months then began just using it once a day at night. After about a year I just quit because I didn't really see much of a difference. I went through the usual, initial shed and itchy scalp, but they both eventually went away. I would still always shed alot in the shower, but I kept using it anyway. About 1.5 months ago I completely stopped, and about 3 weeks ago I began shedding like crazy, around 300-400 hairs a day. My hair is really thin on the top of my head now, and am just wondering when will this shed stop ? and will I regrow the hair I shed back ?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair will probably most likely keep on shedding until you're almost totally bald. Quitting Rogaine (Minoxidil) was a bad idea, since the treatment has strong maintenance properties other than promoting growth. Whether you were on any other treatment or not, it wasn't a good move to quit Minoxidil therapy.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Agustin is half right.

I quit mimic after about three years of use in December. I only applied it to my hairline. The reason for quitting was because I had a MASSIVE shed and scalp burning from either minoxidil or propecia messing up my hormones but I couldn't pin point them.. Anyway, I have been steadily loosing hair since then, but it is almost dying down now.

My hair got ****ed up though.. My hair looks like it's been eaten by bugs along the hairline and my crown got way thinner. It gets absorbed and works on the whole scalp unfortunately, but unless you wanna play the waiting game like I did, get back on a formula that works for you. You won't go completely bald though.. You'll have a type of Telogen Effluvium that will grow back but very fine. I can see tons of inch long hairs in my hairline and what not but they aren't thick like they were when I used minoxidil.

danimaldonado

Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Rogaine did make make my hair look thicker and it seemed like I had more while I was using it. But when I had wet hair, I could tell that it wasn't really making much of a difference. And plus my hair looked and felt bad. My brothers would tell me your hair looks so dead, not like it used to. I read that after 6 months your hair starts to come back that you lost during the shed, so I'm just waiting on it.

Ato9

Reaction score
That is exactly what happens when you come off these formulas and any prescribed medications unfortunately :/....personal experience

Bukowski

Established Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. if minoxidil did not help you at all then don't panick. ( like I did ) minoxidil only works great for about 30% of the men that use it.(regrowth)
For most it does not help at all. But what happens after you start minoxidil, even if it does not give you regrowth, is that the hairs you initially shed go into a synchronised growthfase. All those hairs will first shed,allmost all together, after you stop using minoxidil. It takes about a year for the haircycle to return to normal after stopping minoxidil. Good luck!

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been off of minoxidil since last December and haven't stopped shedding... Let me know what others are experiencing

arielova

Reaction score
Can minoxidil be used forever? I'm only 23 days in and having lots of shedding. I'm wondering if this was a good idea. I feel like I'm going to be fully bald any day now.:shakehead:

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair will probably most likely keep on shedding until you're almost totally bald. Quitting Rogaine (Minoxidil) was a bad idea, since the treatment has strong maintenance properties other than promoting growth. Whether you were on any other treatment or not, it wasn't a good move to quit Minoxidil therapy.

This is where I hate hair loss forums. In my post you say minoxidil alone won't maintain hair for long, but here you're saying "it has string maintenance proprieties." I just don't get why everyone hates on people that don't want to try finasteride

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
He means it makes surrounding hairs dependant, his statement about going totally bald though is stupid and uninformed, if your are NW2 and go to a NW1.5 thanks to minoxidil, and you then stop applying minoxidil, at the very worse you will go to like NW2.5 but it wouldn't get worse than that.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
He means it makes surrounding hairs dependant, his statement about going totally bald though is stupid and uninformed, if your are NW2 and go to a NW1.5 thanks to minoxidil, and you then stop applying minoxidil, at the very worse you will go to like NW2.5 but it wouldn't get worse than that.

We finally agree!!

BTSken

Reaction score
soo.

Soo is it a bad assumption to make, that if you are shedding under minoxidil that it is a good sign? Because in my case I'm about 5 months into finasteride, 4 months into minoxidil, and I've been seeing a bunch of tiny hairs all over my room, for a couple months now, which I'm pretty sure are from my hairline. However I've had no improvement so far.