Rogaine on Hairline

Jamsonjams

Reaction score
For almost two months now I have been applying 5% rogaine on my receding hairline twice a day, and it has really made my hairline a lot worse than it was at the beginning. I don't know if I should stop applying or not, I've heard a lot of stories of people about how rogaine completely destroyed their hairlines and I really don't want that to happen. Any advice?

rogerackroyd

Reaction score
I have used the foam for 9 months and not only are my temples worse but I have also begun thinning at the frontal hairline during these months.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
You won't find a definitive answer unfortunately and nobody can really explain why that can happen. Countless threads of conflicting views about minoxidil on hairline.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I put Minoxidil (commonly known as Rogaine) all over on the top of my scalp in a Norwood 6 pattern since that's the way my hair is thinning. It did make my hair seem a bit worse since the medication did increase shedding at first but then eventually my hair loss stabilized and I've been benefiting from regrowth since then. From my experience, I've only gotten positive benefits from Minoxidil therapy and is actually helping maintain my hairline quite well along with taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily.

Iopu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never got any kind of shed at all from minoxidil. Seen nothing but positive regrowth.

Blessed99

Reaction score
Would be helpful if people indicated whether they used foam or liquid - I tend to see a lot of people complain about destroyed hairlines with use of minoxidil foam.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Would be helpful if people indicated whether they used foam or liquid - I tend to see a lot of people complain about destroyed hairlines with use of minoxidil foam.
The question is really does the foam deliver more minoxidil to the scalp than the liquid? If so maybe that is why people shed more with the foam. I think the foam is cosmetically the best way to apply minoxidil. My hair actually looks good after I apply similar to a thickening mousse but it gives me more sides and causes more shedding so I am wondering if it absorbs better than the liquid.

Jamsonjams

Reaction score
I use foam on my hairline. Should I stop? I really don't want to make my hairline any worse than it already is

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use foam on my hairline. Should I stop? I really don't want to make my hairline any worse than it already is

Are you on Finasteride? If you're not, you'll need to start taking it so your hair loss doesn't keep getting worse if you genuinely have Male Pattern Baldness. Using Rogaine won't help your hairline very much in the long-term without DHT inhibition.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil ruined my hairline real fast too. I would taper off and start finasteride

HairrisonFord

Reaction score
I think what you will find is that it's not enough. Personally used it exclusively on my hairline with no substantial results. That does not mean it didn't have an effect. There's several good threads on here regarding minoxidil. I would recommend a DHT inhibitor at least to slow progression.

kris0707

Reaction score
For almost two months now I have been applying 5% rogaine on my receding hairline twice a day, and it has really made my hairline a lot worse than it was at the beginning. I don't know if I should stop applying or not, I've heard a lot of stories of people about how rogaine completely destroyed their hairlines and I really don't want that to happen. Any advice?

That's terrible, makes me weary about even trying out any of these products.

Raz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Eh, up to you eventually, OP, but I've gained about 2 norwoods if not more via minoxidil use. That is to say, from being a diffusing NW3.5/close to NW4, to being somewhere in the NW1.5 to 1.75 range depending on a specific mini-shed cycle or hair day.

SadinOregon

Reaction score
Eh, up to you eventually, OP, but I've gained about 2 norwoods if not more via minoxidil use. That is to say, from being a diffusing NW3.5/close to NW4, to being somewhere in the NW1.5 to 1.75 range depending on a specific mini-shed cycle or hair day.

You can see my title post elsewhere here... I used it for a week...literally destroyed my hairline..Now..must be said my hairline was already well on it's way but I did have that Tuft I liked LOL..So I stopped immediately..been about 3 1/2 weeks now and original hair in that area is growing back in nicely. I ask my wife to check it just so I am calibrated and not imagining it was coming in LOL..

Yea I'm going to lose that eventually but for me it was not fun over the course of that week..(the week following application..It was foam BTW. My scalp was REALLy dry at the time wife said from it.

The flip side is people have had really good experiences with it so for me it was a mistake..just my experience with it..

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Arrr man! How is anyone ever meant to start treatments when they hear this. I hear the same with finasteride - apparently 'only receding a bit but finasteride accelerated it loads!' - literally stuck on what to do.

Last edited:

SadinOregon

Reaction score
Arrr man! How is anyone ever meant to start treatments when they hear this. I hear the same with finasteride - apparently 'only receding a bit but finasteride accelerated it loads!' - literally stuck on what to do.

yea sorry..but did want you to at least hear my story..I literally was freaking thinking the tuft wouldn't come back..but my wife said why?? the original folical isnt dead...why wouldn't it? looks like she was right..like I said..been a llittle over 3 weeks..its coming back..slowly but surely..hope it works out for you..

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yea sorry..but did want you to at least hear my story..I literally was freaking thinking the tuft wouldn't come back..but my wife said why?? the original folical isnt dead...why wouldn't it? looks like she was right..like I said..been a llittle over 3 weeks..its coming back..slowly but surely..hope it works out for you..

Yeah man, I understand - appreciate your story and hope it all works out for you