Rogaine Foam Hair Count Study Doesn't Look too Encouraging!

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think the liquid is more effective, but it probably depends on different factors.

The problem is that in some instances, a long term minoxidil liquid user switches to foam and losses ground.

Since you've only recently started minoxidil, i'd use whichever is most convenient to you.

Nene

Reaction score
Man, I really would like to use liquid cause it's so much cheaper and I think I get the best results with it. But honestly the foam is just so much easier to use that I'm a lot more likely to just stick with it even if it is more expensive and less effective. I can apply it in 2 seconds and doesn't irritate my scalp at all. The dandruff and itching from the liquid is enough to drive one insane. Thats part of why I stopped using minoxidil years ago and lost my norwood 1 it was maintaining. After years I got really fed up with the itching and had to stop for my sanity. Then the foam came out a few years later and I started minoxidil again but with the foam this time. By this point I was norwood 2 heading toward a 3 and it seemed to thicken up everything but that norwood 1 never came back. I tried to experiment with liquid at night and foam at day but even that was causing a lot of irritation and I had to use nizoral a lot more than I would've liked to soothe the scalp. Sigh, I guess I'll just stick foam for now. Maybe liquid every other night when I know I'm gonna use nizoral.

grove12345

Reaction score
there are alot of people who use the liquid for a long time and switch to foam. Some complain but alot praise the foam that they are now getting more growth than ever.

i know the lab results show something different. But with liquid i was losing my hair line, with foam my temples came back in 2 months.

Reaction score
Where are you guys buying your liquid??? It seems like the only thing i ever see on the shelf is the foam. I get it at Wal-mart.

I can't order from the internet. What stores should i check for the liquid.

I'm on my last week of foam, hopefully I can find some liquid before the end of the week......

johorat

Reaction score
Was on Rogaine liquid and the result was relatively impressive. Switch to Rogaine foam and started losing ground after a year. Now just switch back to liquid again .

One thing I do notice is liquid tend to cause more body hair growth on my arms and toes.

Nene

Reaction score
johorat said:
Was on Rogaine liquid and the result was relatively impressive. Switch to Rogaine foam and started losing ground after a year. Now just switch back to liquid again .

One thing I do notice is liquid tend to cause more body hair growth on my arms and toes.

More hair on your toes? xD

CCS

Reaction score
JWM said:
So then why am I reading all this 85% effective in regrowing hair as compared to the 55% with the liquid?

There is no contradiction. Liquid gives higher hair counts. Foam grows hair in more people. If liquid works for you, it will regrow a lot. Foam has a much better chance of working for you and not irritation your scalp, but it does not grow as much.

Wow! So PPG may be responsible for half of the growth? It does not irritate me at all. I have a gallon I bought for maybe $20. I should research the purity though. Maybe it is best to pay extra and get the generic minoxidil for 6 bottles for $25 unless I know my gallon is pure and safe.

CCS

Reaction score
grove12345 said:
Some complain but alot praise the foam that they are now getting more growth than ever.

i know the lab results show something different. But with liquid i was losing my hair line, with foam my temples came back in 2 months.

The liquid only works for 55% of people. You must have been one of the 45%, but also one of the 85% who responds to foam. Typical responders though respond better to liquid.

If liquid is not working for you, try the foam.

Mr Clean

Reaction score
I once heard that foam works better because it keeps its potency while its in the can, unlike the liquid version which loses potency once it is opened up and mixed with other elements in the air and oxidizes I guess. Anybody else ever hear this?

Rios39

Reaction score
After reading this I think Im switching to liquid. Ive never tried liquid before foam for the past 2 years along with Propecia. I think im going to move to Liquid though cause the results are decent and not great. I also am going to add nizoral shampoo, what is the best kind? and will the nizoral make much of a difference?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been using the foam for nearly 9 months and it hasn't really given me great regrowth or anything.I apply it only on my hairline and one little spot in the crown.Do you guys think I would be benefited if I switch over to the liquid ? BTW I have grown my hair long to cover my temples and my thinning crown.

JWM

Reaction score
There's no way to know unless you just give it a shot. The generic Kirkland (identical to name brand) is certainly cheaper. Give it a try and see.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Not sure about some people's claims that PG helps effectiveness - my best success was through nanominox which doesn't contain PG.

As for this study, i didn't really bother to read or interpret the details but all i would say that is if there is any doubts over its effectiveness - stick with the liquid. Ive never understood why people prefer foam anyway. Just use a little liquid every night you dont need to use that much. You can get some decent PG free stuff if thats the problem.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JWM said:
There's no way to know unless you just give it a shot. The generic Kirkland (identical to name brand) is certainly cheaper. Give it a try and see.

Will do....

verysad

Reaction score
erm if i am seeing results from liquid but feel it may have reached its potential could i try foam?

tetris1990

Reaction score
If I change from the foam to a generic liquid; does anyone know if I will experience a shed again like when first starting minoxidil?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If I change from the foam to a generic liquid; does anyone know if I will experience a shed again like when first starting minoxidil?

You shouldn't as they have the same active ingredients but I have heard some people shedding more after they switched to the other.