Rogaine Foam "Dread Shed" Question

tooyoung22

Reaction score
Alright, I am new to this board and want to make this simple.

I am contemplating starting Rogaine Foam due to early stages of hair loss (I'm 22) and I'm too scared about the potential side effects of Propecia and am not willing to lose my man hood over it.

Anyways, I have pretty good coverage right now and would classify myself as a Norwood 1.5 - 2. I have heard that some people shed like crazy when they start using this stuff.

My question is for people who have shed from using the Foam: Will a significant amount of shedding lead to a noticeable difference in my hair density assuming my hair loss is not OBVIOUS right now? I.E. will I grow a huge bald spot on the top of my head within the several week shedding period?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to get this thing under control as much as possible before it gets really out of hand

Thanks in advance!

tooyoung22

Reaction score
pretty much i'm wondering if the shed will make a cosmetic difference in the appearance of my hair assuming its a "normal" shed that is to be expected when starting the foam?

tooyoung22

Reaction score
46 views and no answer? Come on guys I know some of you have used this stuff. Does the shedding period make a huge difference in the appearance of you hair or not?

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the same question.. i bought the form and have not used it yet, coz i am dreading a shed.. my hair is thick and good at the sides and back but the top and front is quite thin now.. and want to try the form to thicken it up...... but if i lose the hair it would look so bad!! HELP!!!!!!

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have had great results from the foam with no shed. Combined with Propecia you will probably get some nice results or just as important not lose more hair.

Don't let people like Mew and his Propecia side effects forum scare you away from Propecia . If you get sides 99.99999 % of the time they will go away when you stop using the drug.

That Propecia side effects website started as a yahoo group in 2002, it has been around over 7 years and has MAYBE 15 active members who do their best to scare the sh*t out of everyone thinking of taking propecia.

Go to a DR, get some baseline hormone blood tests and start with .25 mg/day. See what happens and if you want gradually increase your dose.

mpower

Established Member
Reaction score
yes it's going to change it... when I started with minoxidil I lost so many hairs that I was depressed for like 2 months and didn't even got courage to get my hair cut. after that it slowly went back... the bad thing is that when you stop what follows is one hell of a nightmare shed.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
HT55 said:
I have had great results from the foam with no shed. Combined with Propecia you will probably get some nice results or just as important not lose more hair.

Don't let people like Mew and his Propecia side effects forum scare you away from Propecia . If you get sides 99.99999 % of the time they will go away when you stop using the drug.

That Propecia side effects website started as a yahoo group in 2002, it has been around over 7 years and has MAYBE 15 active members who do their best to scare the sh*t out of everyone thinking of taking propecia.

Go to a DR, get some baseline hormone blood tests and start with .25 mg/day. See what happens and if you want gradually increase your dose.

that board is a joke. It exists only to scare people off Finasteride with imagined permanent side effects like your penis shrivelling up forever. Only a small minority of people experience side effects with finasteride and they're almost always temporary. The experts I've talked to say that it's a safe drug for the vast majority of people. Personally I think Minoxidil is a riskier option.

theplan

Reaction score
Too young,

I just started Rogaine 5% foam about five weeks ago. I held off on using the stuff for a long time (I've been on Propecia since September 2007) because I was afraid of the initial shed. Big mistake. To me, there has been no cosmetic difference in how my hair has looked over these past five weeks, the period over which I'm supposed to be going through the dreaded Rogaine/minoxidil shed. Even though I seem to lose about 10-15 hairs whenever I apply the foam, there is absolutely no difference in how my hair looks to the causal or even keen observer. Even better, my hair looks and feels great after I apply the foam, especially when I apply it on a towel dried scalp out of the shower.

As you probably know, everyone responds differently to these treatments. I suppose it's possible to have a horrendous shed but I am willing to guess that this type of reaction is extremely rare. I absolutely and highly recommend Rogaine foam if you think you can benefit from it but are hesitating only out of fear of the initial shed. More likely than not, the shed will be undetectable.

As a caveat to the foregoing, I do recommend that you not keep your hair super long when you start up on Rogaine. You don't need to buzz your hair or anything but I'd keep it short to medium-short length. No more than three inches.

BTW, I think I'm starting to get some early results but it could be wishful delusion as it generally takes two to three months to get visible regrowth.

threats77

Established Member
Reaction score
whats the % of men that propecia affects manhood? like 15% or something..just take it and stop bein a girl..im 25 and theres no difference on me and others..just cuz you read one or two threads doesnt mean anything

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying foam again as an experiment and only applying it to the actual bald skin of my temples rather than actually rubbing it into the hairline.

If I see regrowth, I'll start applying it into the hairline.

I used foam back in May-July, but freaked out and thought it was gonna eat my hairline so I quit. So this time it's just gonna go on the bald spots so I don't have to worry about shedding.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
I'm thinking about trying foam again as an experiment and only applying it to the actual bald skin of my temples rather than actually rubbing it into the hairline.

If I see regrowth, I'll start applying it into the hairline.

I used foam back in May-July, but freaked out and thought it was gonna eat my hairline so I quit. So this time it's just gonna go on the bald spots so I don't have to worry about shedding.
I quit the foam around the same time as you did. I was just using it once per day. I was still using Proxiphen back then and still do now which has a little minoxidil. Officially, I never have stopped using some minoxidil in a sense but I think ever since I stopped using it twice per day my hair went slowly down hill. I am back on it again twice daily but this time I am using it very sparingly on just only thin areas. I am hoping I can increase my density again. I am experimenting to see if minoxidil twice daily makes a significant difference. I have read other posters claim when they went down to once a day, they did not notice any major shedding but they did notice their hair seemed to thin out more. That is what happened to me too. So far, no major sheds. I am hoping if someone responded once to it, they can respond again.