Rogaine alters existsing hair to be dependant on Rogaine

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to understand this paragraph....

Let's say I started using Minoxidil and got initial shedding, then I stopped. I will be left with how I stopped - worse than before Minoxidil because it caused shedding, correct?
No, those hairs will grow back exactly the same as they were before. If you kept using minoxidil they would grow back thicker than before.

Sorry to say, but your doctor is uninformed on Androgenetic Alopecia. Most of them are, after all why would they spend hours reading studies on hair loss?

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but your doctor is uninformed on Androgenetic Alopecia. Most of them are, after all why would they spend hours reading studies on hair loss?
Sadly enough this is true. I have never known a doctor who was really well-informed about the topic.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very rotund. ;). minoxidil can alter hair cycle of all scalp hairs, even healthy ones. Can we use minoxidil as a preventive? IMHO, No.
I used it on my beard for 8 months because I wanted to fill in my cheeks a bit more and extend my terminal length. I filled in decently and went from struggling to push 2 inches to an 8 inch beard. I haven't touched minoxidil for my face the last 2 months since I'm happy with my results. I haven't had any shedding. For beards, discontinuing during the vellus or transitional stage risks shedding of those hairs... once they are fully matured they are permanent. It has no impact on existing healthy hair other than causing it to grow faster and have a longer terminal length.
Body hair can react diferent from scalp hair, eyebrowns also. minoxidil clearly have a trichogeneis effect, in the fist the lab used minoxidil in a face cream to give a lustrous view in the face of women due its vasodilatador effect, "sonrosado" in spanish, but they had a lot of complains for growing velllus hairs in the area. ;)
According to Ralf Paus, hair only miniaturizes during anagen,
Yes, but in the first steps aof anagen phase when the dermal papilla is forming
I have never known a doctor who was really well-informed about the topic.
I'll bet that there are more information about hair loss in this forum that 90% of doctors, only a tiny fraction of them are educated really in this issue. Hair loss disserts in uni are less than a few hours. It is so complex .....

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very rotund. ;). minoxidil can alter hair cycle of all scalp hairs, even healthy ones. Can we use minoxidil as a preventive? IMHO, No.

Body hair can react diferent from scalp hair, eyebrowns also. minoxidil clearly have a trichogeneis effect, in the fist the lab used minoxidil in a face cream to give a lustrous view in the face of women due its vasodilatador effect, "sonrosado" in spanish, but they had a lot of complains for growing velllus hairs in the area. ;)

I'll bet that there are more information about hair loss in this forum that 90% of doctors, only a tiny fraction of them are educated really in this issue. Hair loss disserts in uni are less than a few hours. It is so complex .....
that's very interesting man thanks for your input never head of that minoxidil face cream that sounds crazy knowing the aging effect of minoxidil.

can i ask you what's your opinion on using minoxidil to get thicker eyebrows? used it briefly back in the day but i had the feeling it made me shed terminal eyebrow hair and chickened out and stop

studies looks good tho

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

According to Dr. Paus miniaturization occurs in the later stages of anagen, perhaps only during anagen VI.

Minoxidil is a very effective hair growth promoter. It's unfortunate that people miss out on using it because of misconceptions, same as finasteride. Minoxidil can't make healthy hair dependent on it. Like most hair growth promoters it ultimately works by inducing nuclear translocation of b-catenin. The ways in which it does that are not fully understood, but that is the downstream effect that makes hair grow. It doesn't alter HF morphology at all. Having more b-catenin in healthy hairs would not cause any problems, and if you take it away there's no reason that the levels of b-catenin would fall to below normal in those hairs. It's controlled by the Wnt pathway, a self-regulating mechanism that gets interrupted by high androgen receptor signaling. This pathway isn't interrupted by minoxidil, it is only upregulated. If you take away the minoxidil it simply returns to where it was without it, just as your blood pressure returns to where it was when you discontinue oral minoxidil.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
that's very interesting man thanks for your input never head of that minoxidil face cream that sounds crazy knowing the aging effect of minoxidil.

can i ask you what's your opinion on using minoxidil to get thicker eyebrows? used it briefly back in the day but i had the feeling it made me shed terminal eyebrow hair and chickened out and stop

studies looks good tho
The first intented use of minoxidil was a woman face cream,
I think that minoxidil can be used in eyebrows and beards, as lanatoprost for eyelashes, but we need to know that are a finite numbers of hairs in a follicle so, continous sheding and regrowth cycles due minoxidil are questionable IMO.