RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update:
RIKEN is accepting donations here to help them move forward with clinical trials in humans. They have already completed a preclinical safety test in a human, and received regulatory approval to begin clinical trials.

Update 2:
regenerated hair grew from the skin of the mouse on the 21st day of transplantation, and the arrector pili muscle and nerve fibers were connected in the same manner as natural hair, and it was normal.
We controlled the number of regenerated hair follicles by controlling the size of the regenerated hair follicle primordium. In this way, it was possible to change the density at the time of transplantation and regenerate with a density of 124 hairs per square centimeter, which is equivalent to human hair.
Since "hair follicle regenerative medicine" uses somatic stem cells isolated from the patient's own hair follicles, it falls under "type 2 regenerative medicine, etc." and is approved by the Specified Certified Regenerative Medicine Committee and the Minister of Health, Labor and Welfare
With the funding of clinical research, the research can be started within a year. The first target is androgenetic alopecia, whose mechanism is clear, and the period will be about one and a half years.
If this clinical study reveals its safety and efficacy, it can be implemented in society as a paid clinical study.

The researchers took fur and whisker cells from mice and cultured them in the laboratory with other biological "ingredients". They used 220 combinations of ingredients, and found that combining a type of collagen with five factors--the NFFSE medium--led to the highest rate of stem cell amplification in the shortest period of time..

To test whether stem cells cultured in the NFFSE medium produce hair that cycles, the researchers placed bioengineered hair follicle stem cells in NFFSE medium or in medium missing one of the ingredients and observed the regenerated hair for several weeks. They found 81% of hair follicles generated in NFFSE medium went through at least three hair cycles and produced normal hair. In contrast, 79% of follicles grown in the other medium produced only one hair cycle.

Knowing that stem-cell renewal can depend on what is attached to the outside of the cells, the researchers next looked for markers on the surface of cells cultured in the NFFSE medium. In addition to the expected CD34 and CD49f markers, they found the best hair cycling was related to the addition of Itgβ5. "We found almost 80% of follicles reached three hair cycles when Itgβ5 was also bioengineered into the hair follicle germ," explains first author Makoto Takeo. "In contrast, only 13% reached three cycles when it was not present." Analysis showed that these important cells are naturally located in the upper part of the hair follicle's bulge region.

"Our culture system establishes a method for cyclical regeneration of hair follicles from hair follicle stem cells," says Tsuji, "and will help make hair follicle regeneration therapy a reality in the near future." As preclinical animal-safety tests using these cultured cells were completed in 2019, the next step in the process is clinical trials.

"RIKEN is primarily an institute that does basic research," explains Tsuji. "And clinical trials usually require outside collaborators. We are therefore looking for a partner company to help develop the clinical applications and welcome donations to promote the R&D."
https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-02/r-arf021021.php

Expansion and characterization of epithelial stem cells with potential for cyclical hair regeneration

However, a venture capital firm that was supposed to provide financial support has stopped operations for economic reasons. That forced the scientists to start a fund-raising drive on Feb. 10 to fund the clinical tests.
The team is seeking 500 million yen ($4.8 million) in donations from companies and individuals. The money will be used not only for clinical testing on the safety of the hair transplant technology, but also for other trials, such as regenerating teeth.

The safety of the technology has already been confirmed through testing on animals, and the team had gained approval to begin human clinical testing when its business partner could not proceed with development.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14181974

RIKEN tweet.JPG

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's reasonable to assume they have completed preclinical trials, and are ready to begin a phase I trial in humans if they haven't already. Notice that they created this account last month, and they've already followed 551 people. Most of them seem to be medical professionals, hair care experts, and media representatives. Clearly this is a very big announcement forthcoming. Either they've already confirmed their method works in humans, or they will soon.

Last edited:

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For now this should just be assumed to be another company saying "We've cured baldness!" when they haven't, for PR and funding. They might be on to something, but literally every company working on hair loss says they've found the cure when they don't have jack.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
For now this should just be assumed to be another company saying "We've cured baldness!" when they haven't, for PR and funding. They might be on to something, but literally every company working on hair loss says they've found the cure when they don't have jack.
This is a Japanese government research institute. It's the real deal, not some startup trying to pump their valuation. You might as well say we are cured if you have the money.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do we estimate costs at? 100,000?
Minimum of 50k USD. According to youngjet Tsuji said 2 or 3 years ago that it would be in the low to mid six figures. We can only hope they've refined and advanced the process enough since then to drive that estimate down under six figures.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"You might as well say we are cured if you have the money."

Wow, speculation is running wild haha. The Tsuji hype went from zero to 100 with just some tweets. I wish that were the case and they were going to announce they have the cure steady and ready though.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, may I ask if this would work like a transplant, being permanent, but giving you unlimited supply of follicles -> natural density/hairline?
Would love to hear some comments of knowledged people, as I am not well informed of all this stuff.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a Japanese government research institute. It's the real deal, not some startup trying to pump their valuation. You might as well say we are cured if you have the money.
While I hope they're successful that's overly optimistic considering they have no proof beyond growing a few sparse hairs in mice.

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, may I ask if this would work like a transplant, being permanent, but giving you unlimited supply of follicles -> natural density/hairline?
Would love to hear some comments of knowledged people, as I am not well informed of all this stuff.
According to them, yes. They claim the cloned follicles will be DHT resistant as well. On our end it's similar to Stemson except instead of a scaffold they'd be using nylon threads, and it would require a few hairs instead of a blood draw.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
While I hope they're successful that's seems overly optimistic considering they have no proof beyond growing a few sparse hairs in mice.
I can only agree here, let´s see what the first clinical (human) trial results will be like.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
According to them, yes. They claim the cloned follicles will be DHT resistant as well. On our end it's similar to Stemson except instead of a scaffold they'd be using nylon threads, and it would require a few hairs instead of a blood draw.
Now thats cool! No more swallowing pills and altering your hormonal profile with even heavier anti androgens! NICE!

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
However, we should consider that the transparency of Riken was very weak in the past, Stemson did a better job...
And being transparent to the "world" is really important, in my eyes.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Now thats cool! No more swallowing pills and altering your hormonal profile with even heavier anti androgens! NICE!

Perhaps, but your natural hairs will still be subject to androgen damage. If you don't want those to fall out you will still need an anti-androgen. Either that or pay for the procedure again after so many years, which is going to be expensive. I would think almost everyone would opt to continue taking finasteride.