RIKEN Announcement: Succeeded in Developing Tech for HF Regenerative Medicine: Study to be Published Feb 10

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It means that they must firstly proof and verify their technology through legit clinical trials.

I guess they have other techniques than mice to see how their technology will translate on humans
I dont think so, they're going to do a full human study but it just wont be a full procedure, instead they will probably transplant full density into patches of 1cm/sq. If successful & safe, they will open it in a clinical setting and allow willing customers to come get the full procedure done with the condition that they are part of the phase 2/3 trials.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score

"Change the fate of the "top of the head" to the "occipital region" ...?

In order to put hair follicle regeneration into practical use as regenerative medicine, it is necessary to develop a technology that stably increases the two types of stem cells that make up the origin of hair follicles in vitro. Over the course of more than 7 years, we have developed a technology to stably increase two types of cells in vitro.

In particular, androgenetic alopecia is known to be caused by dermal papilla cells, which are "mesenchyonic stem cells", among the two types of stem cells.
Considering this, it is possible to change the fate of the transplanted hair follicles on the crown to the "occipital type" by using the dermal papilla cells of the "occipital region" that do not cause alopecia."

I think that this approach is really interesting and actually effective for Androgenetic Alopecia, meanwhile stemson tries to achieve their mesenchymal cells/DP cells from neural crest cells, and those again from hESCs, so not the certain occipital cells, just randomized cells. can't gather anything from Stemson's sience in terms of achieving occipital-like follicles.

Nevertheless it is hard to cultivate DP cells, there will be amplification problems, so I wonder how Dr. Takashi Tsuji does it!? When trying to multiply or cultivate DP cells, they lose their hair inducing function.

In conclusion: Tsuji's apporach seems more valuable and complex than Stemson's. And in the end more effective for Androgenetic Alopecia.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
DP cell cultivation isn't a problem.

Also, in terms of scientific value.. stemsons is arguably more valuable as it only requires blood to be drawn.

Also there's never been conclusive evidence of hair follicles being resistant to balding in the occipital, the literature actually points more to it being the tissue in the occipital, more so than the follicle. There's also been studies showing that taking dp-cells from occipital and placing them in balding areas doesn't change the trascriptinome of balding follicles.

Either would be a massive step forward, no point trying to compare them though.
I thank you very much for your reply, yadonkey!

May I ask why's it then that hair transplants last for a long time - life time!?

Edit;
Oh, I see you were referring to something RepliCel does, placing DP cells into the balding scalp. Sure that it does not help much.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
DP cell cultivation isn't a problem.

Also, in terms of scientific value.. stemsons is arguably more valuable as it only requires blood to be drawn.

Also there's never been conclusive evidence of hair follicles being resistant to balding in the occipital, the literature actually points more to it being the tissue in the occipital, more so than the follicle. There's also been studies showing that taking dp-cells from occipital and placing them in balding areas doesn't change the trascriptinome of balding follicles.

Either would be a massive step forward, no point trying to compare them though.

This in vitro study revealed that androgen-insensitive follicles still respond differently to androgens than androgen-sensitive follicles after being isolated from surrounding tissue, proving that androgen sensitivity is programmed within the follicle itself.

Androgens trigger different growth responses in genetically identical human hair follicles in organ culture that reflect their epigenetic diversity in life

Hair follicles were isolated by carefully following each follicle from the hair bulb toward the epidermis, removing adjacent epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous fat (Fig. 1D) (9), and collected into sterile Petri dishes
variations in androgen response are presumably a result of location‐specific epigenetic differences in gene expression, likely established within developing hair follicles by site‐specific variations in exposure to paracrine regulatory molecules during embryogenesis.

If anyone really believes that androgen sensitivity is in the skin and not the follicle then they shouldn't worry about Tsuji or Stemson because hair multiplication won't work. They won't be transplanting occipital scalp tissue along with the hair germs.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just glanced at that study, but it doesn't prove that epigenetic differences in balding scalp during embryogenesis don't lead to transcriptome changes later in life. Then again, maybe this is why Tsuji can't get any money. They know his hair germs won't grow in balding scalp.

DNA methylation patterns established in youth, in combination with other epigenetic marks, were able to accurately predict changes in transcript trajectories with aging. These findings are consistent with the developmental origins of disease hypothesis and indicate that epigenetic variability in early life may explain differences in aging trajectories and age-related disease.

H

Reaction score

"Hair Loss Will be Cured Within Ten Years"​

Probably not lol :')
Ya almost definately not. Honestly it's amazing how much conjecture we can get from so little information though. Does the entire biotech sector seem as botched as companies focused on hairloss or is it just hairloss research? It seems so strange to me that after 20 years of continuous research these labs run out of resources or just something that didnt happen ever before ends up happening right when the going gets good. Is that strange or normal occurrence?

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really ask myself where the money is really going, is it really going into research or just the pockets of the scientists.
It definitely goes into research.
But the questionmark lays there, where the research is going to... lol.

Ultimately, Where goes the research!?

The last couple of years it went literally into NOTHING.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

"Hair Loss Will be Cured Within Ten Years"​

Probably not lol :')
Of course it will. I wouldn't bet my life on this working, but I would bet my house. There's little chance of it not working in humans

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, you guys assume that when putting Tsuji's hair into a balding scalp/area, it won't grow, because it starts acting as a balding follicle due to the tissue being placed in.

We do know that when you plant a scalp hair follicle onto your arm, it will start to bald at some point, and we do know that hair transplant's last for a long time. Consider the fact that we are talking here about an endless supply. The science is there, if it won't work on humans,... that'll be very weird. However, we are indeed far away from such interventions.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I mean, you guys assume that when putting Tsuji's hair into a balding scalp/area, it won't grow, because it starts acting as a balding follicle due to the tissue being placed in.

We do know that when you plant a scalp hair follicle onto your arm, it will start to bald at some point, and we do know that hair transplant's last for a long time. Consider the fact that we are talking here about an endless supply. The science is there, if it won't work on humans,... that'll be very weird. However, we are indeed far away from such interventions.
He's not saying that, he's saying the opposite.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course it will. I wouldn't bet my life on this working, but I would bet my house. There's little chance of it not working in humans
I thought that the bet was about when the cure will become available for most ppl...

Will a treatment like Tsuji's be released in the next years? Probably. Will it be available for the "common" ppl? Probably not. We will have to wait for the rich and the bald men that believe that their soul resides in their hair to be cured first.

Last edited:

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought that the bet was about when the cure will become available for most ppl...

Will a treatment like Tsuji's be released in the next years? Probably. Will it be available for the "common" ppl? Probably not. We will have to wait for the rich and the bald men that believe that their soul resides in their hair to be cured first.
The title just says "cured". Unlimited graft transplants are a cure, regardless of the cost.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

I never said anything about "common" people. I just want a cure to be available even if it's expensive. Get a better job and save up your money.
no one knows, not even Tsuji wether this will work or not
Please show me where I said that I know it will definitely work. I said it will likely work.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to leave this website a bit hahaha You are answering too fast hahaha I just posted the msg and I was editing it to add more stuff, but whatever...

The title just says "cured". Unlimited graft transplants are a cure, regardless of the cost.
I agree. I bet that hair cloning techniques will work and that we will get at least one picture of an ex-bald guy with a hard full of hair in the next years. But if this will happen to us at a reasonable cost in the next years is what matters to me.

I never said anything about "common" people. I just want a cure to be available even if it's expensive. Get a better job and save up your money.
I am a NW1-NW1.5 and finasteride works on me perfectly. I have interest in this cure because I want to stop using finasteride daily. It is a boring habit.

And no, my job is fine. Anyway, finasteride is a cure for me and it is cheap. I like the hair cloning technique because I can avoid scars on the back of my hear if decide to go from NW1 to NW0.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a NW1-NW1.5 and finasteride works on me perfectly. I have interest in this cure because I want to stop using finasteride daily. It is a boring habit.

And no, my job is fine. Anyway, finasteride is a cure for me and it is cheap. I like the hair cloning technique because I can avoid scars on the back of my hear if decide to go from NW1 to NW0.
Then why you are complaining? We don't talk about a cure being available to most people, we talk about when it will be available to purchase regardless of price. How do you even define what price would make it available to most people? I've seen people on here say they can't afford minoxidil.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Then why you are complaining? We don't talk about a cure being available to most people, we talk about when it will be available to purchase regardless of price. How do you even define what price would make it available to most people? I've seen people on here say they can't afford minoxidil.
A believe a affordable price would be the costs of a hair transplant surgery plus the cost of the hair cloning technique, this one being a bit more expensive than the techniques we have today to remove the hair from the back of the head. In other words, a affordable price would be more expensive than the hair transplant techniques we have today, but not by much.

If I remember correctly, the price that Tsuji had given us was around 200-300k at launch. If a hair transplant is already seen as expensive and requires extensive financial planning for many ppl, a treatment much more expensive than that would be impossible for most ppl.

I am cheering for a cure, but I hope that the treatment becomes "affordable" and not just a cure for a small percentage of the population.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
A believe a affordable price would be the costs of a hair transplant surgery plus the cost of the hair cloning technique, this one being a bit more expensive than the techniques we have today to remove the hair from the back of the head. In other words, a affordable price would be more expensive than the hair transplant techniques we have today, but not by much.

If I remember correctly, the price that Tsuji had given us was around 200-300k at launch. If a hair transplant is already seen as expensive and requires extensive financial planning for many ppl, a treatment much more expensive than that would be impossible for most ppl.

I am cheering for a cure, but I hope that the treatment becomes "affordable" and not just a cure for a small percentage of the population.
Nah, I hope it's so expensive most people can't get it. That way being a fullhead will still mean something

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to leave this website a bit hahaha You are answering too fast hahaha I just posted the msg and I was editing it to add more stuff, but whatever...

I agree. I bet that hair cloning techniques will work and that we will get at least one picture of an ex-bald guy with a hard full of hair in the next years. But if this will happen to us at a reasonable cost in the next years is what matters to me.

Its not cure for you . finasteride only slow down things for you, actually nothing in the way finasteride works is actually stopping male pattern baldness which mainly depend on your sensetivty. So when its will stop working for you . HC would be the thing you would look for