Riding the Rogaine wave.....

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Whew... I can totally see why I quit using Rogaine in August. I using it at least daily if not 2x per day ( I know I'm supposed to use it twice a day but hey..life was busy this summer).
Since I've been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia...and trying to get pregnant...and STILL SHEDDING like a mad woman.... I've gotten my hands on some Rogaine 5%....(they don't sell the 5% here in Canada). So its been 2 weeks since I've started the 5%. Most days I put it on 2x/day...on the days I work... I put it on 1x/day. I'm trying to keep my follicles alive while I'm trying to get pregnant.
And SO the shedding begins. I can remember using the 2% over the summer and having panic attacks over the increase in shedding. I just washed my hair a moment ago...and oh my god...what a shed. I just hope to God that whoever says its a good thing to shed with Rogaineis right....and not just a feel better story...so I'm trying to ride through this and not think about it....ahhhhh the power of Denial.....

G

I know what you mean... I'm going to start on 5% Rogaine this week, taking my chances on regorwth. My shedding has resolved itself and I was debating whether it would be worth the risk of restarting a problem that has already gone away. But if I don't try, I may not experience regrowth... Good luck!

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
Try getting your pharmacist to make you some 5% Minoxidil. I have never had any problems with the "greasiness" of Rogaine and the stuff my pharmacist makes dries extremely fast too. I think its a bit better than generic Minoxidil, if you start disliking the way it feels on your head.

Best of luck.

G

shedding

I am just wondering why people talk a lot about shedding and lots complain about applying Rogaine 2x a day. It is just like brushing your teeth etc... You have to do lots of things daily. I shedded some, but after only 6 weeks, I am regrowing hair. Shedding is just part of it. The old hairs have to go. :)

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Great idea HairyBush, I will go to the pharmacy and check it out. I never thought of the idea of the pharmacist prepping the Minoxidil for me.
Well smueller, I talk about shedding a lot with the Rogaine this round because I grew very scared of it when I did it in early summer. At that time I didn't know if I had T.E. or Androgenetic Alopecia....and wasn't sure without a difinitive diagnosis...if I was going to be part of the 88% it didn't work for....so I quit. As for applying the Rogaine 2x/day, I certainly wasn't complaining about it....yes the old hair has to go...but on the days I work.... which are 12 hour shifts...when I wake up in the morning...its a hell of a lot easier brushing my teeth and getting ready for work then going. I find the Minoxidil very greasy...and I refuse to get up at 4:30 to apply a morning dose. So in turn... I am applying the Rogaine 2x/day at least 9 out of 14 days. And its the 5%. So really if I did put it on 1X per day...it would be equal to putting on the 2% ....2 and a half times that day wouldn't it? :hairy:

G

good luck to you!

Rozzy, I was not just talking about what you had said. I have just read lots of posts and everyone doesn't like putting it on 2 x a day. I am not complaining. I was only wondering. I have already had success and I just want everyone to keep trying it since they say it can take a long time. I wish you good luck in whatever way to try to improve your hair. :D smueller

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Smueller, I'm sorry if I seemed abrupt I didn't mean for it to sound that way. I'm just in the phase where I'm trying to keep hope up that this will work and the shed will be worth it. Its sooo nice to hear that Rogaine is working for you......its relieving to know that its working for someone....you'll have to keep us all posted on you progress.....

G

Hi Rozzy,

I hope you stick with the minoxidil! I am having a hard time doing it twice a day too, as my hair is long and I really don't like how oily it looks in the morning. I have a face that goes along with this hair too, ya know!

I hope your shed dies down soon too, weird thing for me is that I never shed when starting it...I hope that's not a bad sign :(

Laura

PS I saw in one of the Healthology webcasts with Dr. Sawaya, she says that if her patient really dislikes putting it on in the morning, that they can do a double dose at night. I guess that means putting on 2 mL on your scalp at night, which is what I've been doing recently. Don't know how beneficial it is, but I'm hoping it will be sufficient enough.

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Laura, I'm sticking with the Rogaine.... I just updated my story in the other forum. The Rogaine continues to give me dread shed...its been 4 weeks and counting...how about yourself?? How long have you been using the Rogaine and how long did your shed period last?

G

Hi Rozzy,

I did not have a shed :(

I just keep on shedding...not as fun as "keep on truckin'"

But anyway, a shed can last up to 6 weeks. Maya and I know a girl who shed profusely on 2% but she said in the long run, she's shedding less than she was before. I think she said she would shed (geez what a tongue twister!) 150 hairs a day? And after a while, the Rogaine slowed it down.

Good luck, happy holidays!

Laura

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays to you too Laura,
May the new year bring all of us new sprouts of hair and maybe even a cure...(fingers and toes crossed).

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Laura, I'm starting to think about dropping down to the 2%. I'm starting to get peach fuzz on my face and my eyebrows are really thicking... This is after 8 weeks of use... I didn't get these side effects from the 2%....

G

Hi Rozzy!

Hope you had a nice New Years :)

Anyway, as for dropping down to the 2%, you can do that, or you can do 5% at night and 2% in the morning.

I believe after 6 months of taking the Rogaine, some or most people gradually lose this excess facial and body fuzz.

I have yet to know though, as it hasn't reached the 6 month mark for me yet :)

Laura

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
HI Laura,
yes I think dropping to the 2% will be a good thing. I'm on my last bottle of 5% (I can't get 5% in Canada) so what I might do is the 2%in the am like you suggest and the 5% at night until the bottle is finished. I can't believe how much I've shed with the Rogaine...well I guess I sortof can... I think its slowing down.... I'm not sure how much its supposed to slow down.. although there are some days where I'm shedding more than others.....
I don't think I'll be one of the lucky ones that will lose the facial hair after six months... I think when hair decides to grow on my body... it stays... I can't see it stopping... I should be so lucky if that was the case :shock:

G

Hi Rozzy,

Do what feels best for you. At least you are taking 2% and not dropping the minoxidil altogether :)

I do have more body and facial fuzz :( I have decided to solve this by waxing. Painful, but I got used to it.

It's like once you do one thing to try and solve a problem, another one develops, eh?

This hair loss is the bane of my existence!

Laura

Miloh

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

I feel your pain! I have been on Rogaine for just over 2 months, and have yet to reach the point where the hair I lost in the shed has been replaced. I know I have to be patient, but it's so hard when you see your hair fall out but you don't know if the rogaine will really work and you don't know if or when any new hair will grow in.

It's very frustrating, but I guess we'll all hang in there, right? I haven't had any noticeable increase in facial hair, but the greasiness of the 5% makes me question whether it's worth it...

Looking on the bright side, the Toppik does soak some of it up while it covers the thin spots :p

Cheers, Miloh

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Miloh.... welcome to the forum. Well they say it takes 4 months to see any difference with the Rogaine... but my fears are the same as yours. I'm using the Rogaine which has caused great dread shed. I've got the angel and the devil on each shoulder.... the angel is telling me...keep with it.... it may work.... you are growing hair elsewhere... you must be responding... the devil is saying- you have no clue what you are doing to your scalp... you are shedding like crazy and you might be speeding up the process.
Its hard... but I'm working through it day by day. I've never tried toppik although I'm thinking about it for when my scalp is really visible. I had a freak out attack back in August/September because my wedding was coming up last October and I was scared there wasn't going to be enough hair to keep my veil in my head. A few people suggested I use toppik to cover the bald spots on the day but I never did... I was too worried that it would leak onto my veil...... that was the last time I was considering it.... I think though that my next big purchase will be the folligen spray

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh Laura, I do hear you on the waxing.... I have to wax my bikini line and have been doing it for years. Right now , I 'm bleaching above my lip and I'm looking into laser tx for under my chin... doesn't make sense. I have to shave my legs at least every two days and I'm growing free hair everywhere exept my scalp... :roll:

msgluv

Reaction score
Facial hair

Hi Ladies!
I was just about to post a frustration about something, and it appears that you already did! The rogaine shed for me was horrible, it is still shedding, but I THINK it has slowed down. However, I switched to the 5% Rogaine two months ago, and my scalp is flaking so badly. Thank goodness I wear a hairpiece anyway, (still I hate my fiance seeing my flaking scalp, as much as he says it doesn't matter!) I don't see any results, that I can tell. It is hard looking in the mirror to see if I am grwoing anything. My derm SUCKS! Don't have anyone else that I know has any experience with hair loss. But that's another issue altogether. The new depression is the facial hair. I am disgusted with it. I just noticed it last week. :freaked: So what did I do??? I used Nair to get rid of it. I thought that waxing would make it grow back thicker. I loved it when I used the Nair, THEN it grew back darker- in just a week!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to keep Nairing it off every week- One more annoying thing to add to the hair loss upkeep schedule. I am just so annoyed. I probably should have bleached it. Now I a m screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does any one know if this is hopeless, or can I reverse the NAIR ??? (I know can't I was just wishing)

Anyway- DEPRESSED TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also concerned because on my honeymoon (this summer), I am going to be a hairy beast (except for my head). I am going to Disney for a week, and the Bahamas for a week. When the hell am I going to have time to shave my legs?????????????
Oh well, I think I'll get some chocolate to forget about all of this- OOPS I forgot that it's not on the Weight Watchers plan! You know I lost 25 pounds two years ago, and now I still can't feel good about myself because of my hair (or lack of) Oh well-
I am rambling.... sorry I just needed to vent! Thanks!

mayalopecia

Reaction score
hairy monster

Hi msgluv,

I doubt the Nair made your hair grow in thicker. Nair is a depilatory--it dissolves the hair cells.

Probably what happened is that you are seeing the full effects of minoxidil on your body hair, from newer hairs. Body hair grows and falls out faster than scalp hair, so the prolonged anagen phase initiated by the rogaine is probably just working it's magic on your hair, and happened to coincide with the Nair use.

There's hope for you though msgluv! I've been using 5% minoxidil for almost a year now, and I have noticed a significant decrease in the extra fuzz. I don't have to depilate, bleach or shave as often as I did during the first 6 months of treatment. I've heard others say that the excess body hair decreases after several months.

You may want to try switching back to 2% once a day, maybe that would be enough of a reduction of the crazy body hair without too much decline in effectiveness?

Cheers,

-maya