Ridges on my scalp under hair system

olly5814

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All.
I am about 4 months into my first hair system.
I have ridges on my scalp under my hair system. Where i get my system from they have advised that it is normal and usually goes after you leave the system off for a short time. Is this true? Has anyone else experiences this? I can literally run my fingers down my scalp and feel 3 or so ridges.

Thanks

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am guessing that the ridges are in the base of the system, and not in your skin?

You didn't mention what type of base your system is (lace, skin, hybrid), or how it is attached (tape, glue, combo of both).

This is not normal.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have ridges too. They are on my scalp. Been wearing a system for over 40 years. I just assumed that my progressive hair loss removed a buffer between my hair and scalp. Maybe I was wrong

Noah

Reaction score
There is a medical condition called cutis verticis gyrata, which involves the scalp becoming ridged. But it doesn't sound like that is what you have. I think so long as the ridges go away when you take your piece off, it's just caused by your skin becoming loose due to moisture - like your fingers when you have been in the bath too long. Are you wearing skin or lace? If skin, I would suggest you try lace, or at least a piece with a lace insert, to avoid moisture being trapped under your base.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just looked up cutis verticis gyrata, and it does not seem to align with what I have. The ridges I have seem to be in my skull, not from any excessive skin folds.

olly5814

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am guessing that the ridges are in the base of the system, and not in your skin?

You didn't mention what type of base your system is (lace, skin, hybrid), or how it is attached (tape, glue, combo of both).

This is not normal.
I have just emailed the clinic I use, I was under the impression I have skin membrane that is applied with glue.

The ridges are on my scalp and are hard, when the system is taken off I can feel them still on my head.

olly5814

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a medical condition called cutis verticis gyrata, which involves the scalp becoming ridged. But it doesn't sound like that is what you have. I think so long as the ridges go away when you take your piece off, it's just caused by your skin becoming loose due to moisture - like your fingers when you have been in the bath too long. Are you wearing skin or lace? If skin, I would suggest you try lace, or at least a piece with a lace insert, to avoid moisture being trapped under your base.
yes when googling this, I saw that condition but its something that's only happened since wearing the system. Im only 4 months into my first one. When the system is removed my scalp is not wrinkly, the ridges are around 1cm wide and are hard.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the back of my mind I was thinking of doing some autologous fat transfer to my scalp, to even out the ridges.

I am thinking that this may help with hair regrowth too.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear UTS and occasionally have the ridges. It's as Noah has said above, due to the UTS/Glue/moisture. The ridges go away if I don't wear the system.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I had this with a 0.05mm skin system. It was because the system was pulled taut on the skin, so any excess skin ultimately became drawn into ridges. The 0.03 system isn't strong enough to pull the skin into this pattern.

Either get one of those, or get a base cut that is slightly larger so that it doesn't put such a strain on your skin.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have ridges too. They are on my scalp. Been wearing a system for over 40 years. I just assumed that my progressive hair loss removed a buffer between my hair and scalp. Maybe I was wrong
When you say ridges, are you talking about skin or bone? I have been wearing quite a while myself and noticed a bit of a ridge grove like area. Could just be normal skull variation though. I just dont want the glues causing this. What type of adhesive do you use?

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes when googling this, I saw that condition but its something that's only happened since wearing the system. Im only 4 months into my first one. When the system is removed my scalp is not wrinkly, the ridges are around 1cm wide and are hard.
Could you post a photo? Any chance they where there the whole time and never noticed?