Revivogen

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Simple question here, chaps: does Revivogen work, or is it just expensive snake oil?

Given that I might have to come off dutasteride altogether, I'm looking at topical DHT inhibitors together with finasteride and maybe the odd capsule of dutasteride taken with Loperamide.

brent

Reaction score
Used Revivogen for over a year,did absolutely nothing for me,expensive snake oil imo

Pondle

Reaction score
Looks to have some decent ingredients - http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-remedy ... ivogen.cfm

However, the killer fact is the lack of any placebo-controlled trials. If you want the ultimate topical, you need to get hold of some of that RU58841 stuff - http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-remedy ... u58841.cfm

It's not sold commercially, but CCS' Myspace page has some info on how to get the pure powder from a distributor China. I don't think you need to be a chemistry whizz to rustle up a lotion, I hear some guys are just dropping it into Minoxidil? Perhaps PM CCS for more info.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Pondle.

My head doesn't like regular minoxidil though, that's the problem. I did consider buying some off CCS before, but it's expensive stuff and I don't want to waste it/turn it into something nasty by mixing it wrong.

CCS

Reaction score
just dissolve it in everclear (at the liqour store) and propylene glycol (http://www.chemistrystore.com) if the propylene glycol does not irritate your scalp. Store the powder in 3 layers of zip lock backs with all the air pressed out, and those moisture absorbing beads. Store the bags separately so you don't have to thaw all of it at once every time you make some.

This is all common sense, but some people don't think of it.

The ingredients in revivogen should work. I don't know how much of each is in there though. I also think zink sulphate is corrosive and should not be in there. The saw palmetto does nothing and is responsible for the bad smell. It is the fatty acids and procyanidins that make it good. But I don't know how much is in there. I think they are crooks for not clearly saying how much of everything is in there.

Established Member
Reaction score
revivogen - snakeoil IMO....
Topicals just don't seem to cut it for me........

If you're coming off dutasteride then maybe Revivogen may help in conjunction with finasteride.... but finasteride really should inhibit enough dht anyway...

abcdefg

Reaction score
I used revivogen for maybe4-5 months regularly but i only used it on the very temples where all my hair by my eyebrows had miniaturized already. It didnt do anything that I could see. I do think they should list the amounts of the ingredients, and I have yet to see the study they say they were working on. It needs more science and its pretty expensive stuff. I have my doubts but in theory it should do something and most people say some of those ingredients like the fatty acids should in theory work. Maybe its just a dht inhibitor wont do anything on hair thats already miniaturized. It irritated my scalp as well i think the alcohol but im not sure.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
1750 said:
Are you basing this off your own personal experience ?

With a topical inhibitor such as Revivogen, you attack hair loss directly at the source. Local inhibition is the key, not systematic inhibition. Not only that, Revivo block both types of 5AR up to 98% while finasteride blocks ONLY type II 5AR up to 70%.

abc, I use Revivogen and if I only used it on my temples I would not of noticed a difference either, but since I use it on the whole top part of my scalp....I see a difference. It's maintaining by lessening the shed and thickening my existing hairs. Revivo actually creates a shed at the initial stage of usage but it stabilizes quickly...at least for me it did.

Established Member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
1750 said:
Are you basing this off your own personal experience ?

With a topical inhibitor such as Revivogen, you attack hair loss directly at the source. Local inhibition is the key, not systematic inhibition. Not only that, Revivo block both types of 5AR up to 98% while finasteride blocks ONLY type II 5AR up to 70%.

abc, I use Revivogen and if I only used it on my temples I would not of noticed a difference either, but since I use it on the whole top part of my scalp....I see a difference. It's maintaining by lessening the shed and thickening my existing hairs. Revivo actually creates a shed at the initial stage of usage but it stabilizes quickly...at least for me it did.

own experience - been using it since October 06 every day.... (and still using based on the science behind the product)
Really wish it did work as I've got 8 months supply in my cupboard...
The only thing revivogen has done for me is ruin multiple pillow cases and 2 expensive business shirts.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Not only that, Revivo block both types of 5AR up to 98%...

God, it would be nice if it really were that effective, but I don't know of ANY studies that have ever beeen done in which the direct inhibition of 5a-reductase by fatty acids in either human or animal skin/scalp was directly measured. I doubt that it's as high as 98%.

ripple-effect said:
while finasteride blocks ONLY type II 5AR up to 70%.

<SIGH> Probably more like 85% or so.

JWM

Reaction score
I found something interesting on Revivogen.

Most of the reviews you read about the product are on hairloss forums, HOWEVER, I typed "Revivogen reviews" into Google for kicks one night and got a link for Yahoo Stores asking for feedback from the Revivogen company for their customer service practices. Basically they give star ratings as to how competent the Revivo company is at dealing with customers.

Now, even though this is not directly related to the effectiveness of the product, MANY people commented on the product (there were over 300 posts) as well as the customer service.

I went though each one and I would say at least 80% of the posts said that the product helped them a great deal and these were from people who had used it for YEARS.

Like Finasteride, Revivogen probably takes a long time to kick in, but I think because it is a topical (like minoxidil) people expect a quicker response rate, usually in the form of regrowth.

Voyager

Reaction score
Yes, Revivogen does work.

I have been using it for quite some time now, and I have saw my existing hair thickening and some new hair growth as well. Even in the temple area I can see a lot of fellus hair growing which had never been there before. Some of this fellus hair have grown to normal hair.

Some things that you need to remember:

It is not a miracle drug. It takes time and religious application to be effective. I saw less hair on my shower on the second-third month and fuller hair on the third-fourth month. Also, although the company recommends to leave the solution for at least three hours before washing your head, the truth is you need to leave the solution on your head much longer than that to be effective. I say at least eight hours.

To get the best of Revivogen, you need to use it in conjunction with Minoxidil. Revivogen is a DHT blocker, which is best to maintain your existing hair (and some little new growth), but adding minoxidil will add its effectiveness and stimulate a lot of new growth. And NO, my result didn't come from Minoxidil alone. I had used minoxidil years ago before I knew Revivogen without any result. And NO, I am NOT using any oral treatment like finasteride or dutasteride. Revivogen + minoxidil are good enough to get satisfying results.

I know that some people's comments on this forum are rather harsh toward Revivogen. Maybe because it is not a very pleasant solution when being applied to your head. It is smelly and greasy. Some people said Revivogen didn't work. Well for me, it works.

JWM

Reaction score
Voyager

As much as I think Revivogen is a legit product, with only two posts your response seems a bit fishy.

Voyager

Reaction score
JWM said:
Voyager

As much as I think Revivogen is a legit product, with only two posts your response seems a bit fishy.

Fishy? No problem.

I am not selling anything and I don't benefit from my post at all. I don't work for Revivogen and I am not their spokesman either. I am a Revivogen user and I have been benefited by it. I am just a satisfied customer and I am trying to help a fellow forum member here with his question.

I have been visiting this forum for a while and I knew about Revivogen from this forum. So, it's time to return the favor for other members. There is always the first time for everything, right? Including the first post. As you have pointed out, there have been many positive reviews on the site you visited. So, Revivogen doesn't need my help to promote their product.

By the way, how do you know a person is legit by the number of his posts alone? Revivogen has been around for years now, and their so-called "representatives" could have been here for a long time and posted many times on the forum without anybody knowing it.

Also, if I represented the company, I would not have recommended Minoxidil as it would undermine the company's claim on Revivogen's effectiveness. And I would not have dismissed the company's claim on "three hours" application and pointed out that it was smelly and greasy. Think about it.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish I could really confirm the effectiveness of Revivogen, but I can't at the moment. Problem is, my regimen consists of spironolactone 5% Cream, Rogaine Foam, Nizoral 2%, and in June I added Revivogen. I had already been experiencing success with my regimen before adding Revivogen in June, so it's difficult to gauge how effective it's been for me. Plus, it's only been like 3 months 3 months that I've been using it. I do think that Revivogen is at least a decent product though, and the big thing I like about it is that you only need to apply it ONCE a day.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
God, it would be nice if it really were that effective, but I don't know of ANY studies that have ever beeen done in which the direct inhibition of 5a-reductase by fatty acids in either human or animal skin/scalp was directly measured. I doubt that it's as high as 98%.
Maybe so, but then again...Revivo isn't just fatty acids. Check out the studies of the other ingredients and you'll see the numbers you're looking for.

Why make a sigh and then say "probably." I don't know where you got 85% from, but according to what I've read, it's up to 70%. Doesn't really matter much anyway because either way it's not 100%. Even if it was....I don't think that would cure baldness b/c I don't believe DHT is the sole cause of baldness, just the main contributing factor.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ripple-effect said:
Maybe so, but then again...Revivo isn't just fatty acids. Check out the studies of the other ingredients and you'll see the numbers you're looking for.

Where would those be?

ripple-effect said:
Why make a sigh and then say "probably."

I make a sigh because I've had to address this issue about...oh...60 or 70 times over the last two or three years on various hairloss sites. After the first 20 or 30 times, it started to get a little old! :)

ripple-effect said:
I don't know where you got 85% from, but according to what I've read, it's up to 70%.

I got it from the Gisleskog et al studies on finasteride and dutasteride. They found that 5 mg/day of finasteride (Proscar) inhibits a daily average of about 90% of the type 2 enzyme. I'm "guesstimating" that a smaller Propecia dose (1 mg/day) would probably inhibit it by about 85% or so.

The mistake you're making (and it's a very very common mistake) is that the widely-quoted 70% reduction figure refers to serum DHT only. But serum DHT is supplied from two different sources: the type 1 and the type 2 enzymes. Finasteride doesn't have any significant effect against the type 1 enzyme, which explains why the actual inhibition of the type 2 enzyme itself is a higher figure than just the figure for serum DHT reduction.

ripple-effect said:
Doesn't really matter much anyway because either way it's not 100%. Even if it was....I don't think that would cure baldness b/c I don't believe DHT is the sole cause of baldness, just the main contributing factor.

Agreed.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's a study on Azelaic Acid, Vitamin B6 and Zinc Sulfate:

Inhibition of 5alpha-reductase activity in human skin by zinc and Azelaic acid.

Author: Stamatiadis, D; Bulteau-Portois, MC; Mowszowicz, I.

Journal: British Journal of Dermatology, 1988 Nov, 119(5):627-32.

Abstract: The effects of zinc sulfate and azelaic acid on 5 alpha-reductase activity in human skin were studied using an in vitro assay with 1,2[3H]-testosterone as substrate. When added at concentrations of 3 or 9 mmol/l, zinc was a potent inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase activity. At high concentrations, zinc could completely inhibit the enzyme activity. Azelaic acid was also a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase; inhibition was detectable at concentrations as low as 0.2 mmol/l and was complete at 3 mmol/l. An additive effect of the two inhibitors was observed. Vitamin B6 potentiated the inhibitory effect of zinc, but not of azelaic acid, suggesting that two different mechanisms are involved. When the three substances were added together at very low concentrations which had shown to be ineffective alone, 90% inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase activity was obtained. If this inhibition is confirmed in vivo, zinc sulfate combined with azelaic acid could be an effective agent in the treatment of androgen related pathology of human skin.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/revivogenstudies.cfm

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
So where are those studies I requested? :)