Reversing Gray Hair With Melanocyte Transplantation

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
in the last few months I found out two gray hairs on my head and its really sucks since I already very close to regrow all my hair and I got this other hair problem right before I could actually forget about this hair loss sh*t.
anyway I searched a lot about reversing gray hair and I found out that there is actually a surgical way of transplanting new melanocytes(the cells that produce the pigment in the hair and is in smaller amount or not at all in gray hair) into gray hair follicles and turning them back to black hairs. its usually used to restore the damage caused by vitiligo(a disease that destroy melanocytes) in the skin and there was some successeful attempts of using the procedure on hair that turned gray due to vitiligo destroying the melanocytes in the hair follicles: https://researchgate.net/publication/276491822_Treatment_of_Gray_Hair_in_Vitiligo_Patients_by_Direct_Melanocytes_Transplant_Using_Needling_Micrografting_and_Dermabrasion_Techniques and i also managed to find a doctor who dose melanocyte transplantation in vitiligo patients that also done one treatment for gray hair and he said that he can do an experiment on "natural" gray hair and it will cost just like the regular treatment which is 572$. he said that it doesn't always work and some hairs will get new melanocytes and some will not(it can be seen in the article where it worked only on few hairs in some woman) and that why I wouldn't try it myself just yet cause his clinic is in india and I only have two white hairs on the head and two more on my facial hair but I wouldn't do this procedure on my face cause it might cause pigmentation stains on my face.
here is an article the doctor sent me about his treatment for gray hair:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrRMwppPO6sQUZrd1dueEZwSUpMR29IMDkzdEJ0TTRLZmQ0/view
his email is "mulekar@gmail.com" so if someone want to do an experiment he should just contact him.

I really hope this will lead to a good permanent(at least relatively) solution for gray hair for people who simply don't like it.

Last edited:

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't buy it but why not, last researches about greying were pointing out immune system, and if i had to make a hard guess, it'll be cure way before Androgenetic Alopecia

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't buy it but why not, last researches about greying were pointing out immune system, and if i had to make a hard guess, it'll be cure way before Androgenetic Alopecia
I am the one who contacted him and suggested this to him and then he showed me his article about treating vitiligo-induced gray hair.
the lack of melanocytes is the main cause of hair graying so if we can introduce new melanocytes into the hair follicles of gray hair(regardless of the reason for the hair graying in the particular case) it is a big step forward even if it wouldn't restore the color to the hair cause there are treatments that can(or at least claim to) restore color to gray hair IF the particular hair follicle have some melanocytes left in it.

I saw the studies about immunotherapy drugs and secukinumab that worked in some case but the immunotherapy drugs are extremely dangerous and with secukinumab there is only one case of success for now despite the fact that this drug is commercially used.
eventually there will be a pharmacologically cure for gray hair but it doesn't look like the medical scientists are in a hurry to cure "natural" things like "natural" gray hair and are too focused with rare and harmless conditions like vitiligo that in many cases barely have noticeable cosmetical effect. so existing treatments are worth a try cause if its work it will be way before a new and safe cure for gray hair will exist.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am the one who contacted him and suggested this to him and then he showed me his article about treating vitiligo-induced gray hair.
the lack of melanocytes is the main cause of hair graying so if we can introduce new melanocytes into the hair follicles of gray hair(regardless of the reason for the hair graying in the particular case) it is a big step forward even if it wouldn't restore the color to the hair cause there are treatments that can(or at least claim to) restore color to gray hair IF the particular hair follicle have some melanocytes left in it.

I saw the studies about immunotherapy drugs and secukinumab that worked in some case but the immunotherapy drugs are extremely dangerous and with secukinumab there is only one case of success for now despite the fact that this drug is commercially used.
eventually there will be a pharmacologically cure for gray hair but it doesn't look like the medical scientists are in a hurry to cure "natural" things like "natural" gray hair and are too focused with rare and harmless conditions like vitiligo that in many cases barely have noticeable cosmetical effect. so existing treatments are worth a try cause if its work it will be way before a new and safe cure for gray hair will exist.

where would you get the melanocytes from tho?

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
where would you get the melanocytes from tho?
from the skin, there are several different methods for this but they basically take very small skin pieces from some area in your body and than using the melanocytes in it to repigment other parts in your body like skin and hair that lost the melanocytes due to vitiligo.
the doctor said that they put medical dressing on the donor area and than remove it after one week.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from the skin, there are several different methods for this but they basically take very small skin pieces from some area in your body and than using the melanocytes in it to repigment other parts in your body like skin and hair that lost the melanocytes due to vitiligo.
the doctor said that they put medical dressing on the donor area and than remove it after one week.

yea but the melanin in your skin is much different than the melanin in your hair right? different pigment

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
yea but the melanin in your skin is much different than the melanin in your hair right? different pigment
melanocytes from the skin were already used for hair repigmentation so if there was a difference between hair and skin melanocytes it doesn't matter much. there was also a study that checked this on larger group of patients with vitiligo-affected hairs and found its pretty successful in most of the cases https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24372919 (leukotrichia means "whiteness of the hair").
even the pigmentation of the skin with melanocytes that migrate from the hair follicles to the skin is possible: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1714927

If you were pointing out about people with other hair colors like blond/light brown/red then then I don't think they can get their color back, they probably should hope that the black hairs will blend better in their hair than the white hairs.

Last edited:

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
melanocytes from the skin were already used for hair repigmentation so if there was a difference between hair and skin melanocytes it doesn't matter much. there was also a study that checked this on larger group of patients with vitiligo-affected hairs and found its pretty successful in most of the cases https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24372919https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24372919 (leukotrichia means "whiteness of the hair").
even the pigmentation of the skin with melanocytes that migrate from the hair follicles to the skin is possible: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1714927

If you were pointing out about people with other hair colors like blond/light brown/red then then I don't think they can get their color back, they probably should hope that the black hairs will blend better in their hair than the white hairs.

tgis is a very inresting concept. grey hairs suck

cyclonite

My Regimen
Reaction score
I love grey hair, makes one look wiser instead of older. No hair on the other hand...
baldness also makes you look wiser just as gray hair if not more. I respect your personal opinion about gray hair but there is no doubt about the fact that it does make one look older in the eyes of most of the people. anyway this thread is meant for people who don't like the gray hairs on their heads.