Returning To Work 2 Weeks Post hair transplant - Realistic?

Frankw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I plan on having a hair transplant and would appreciate opinions on planning. I have had consultations with Dr. Nadimi from Konior's office, and Dr. Bloxham from Feller & Bloxham. They were both very professional and informative and I will likely go with either Konior/Nadimi or Feller/Bloxham.

As the thread title indicates, I do not have the luxury of taking a long period of time off post-transplant. I can probably take 2, maybe 2 and 1/2 weeks off. I'm almost 40 years old and I can't switch jobs or work from home, etc. With that said, I would be interested to hear what experienced members think would be the best course of action for someone in my circumstances.

Some background: I have dark, coarse and curly hair and am currently a NW2-3. I have a thread with pics in the "tell your story section" under username frankwhite (forgot password on that account and got locked out). I have been on finasteride for about 9 years now, and have been applying topical minoxidil 5% for around 8 years. I have mostly maintained since starting the medications but am below baseline in the frontal third. I have some retrograde alopecia but it is minor, and while I have some thinning on the vertex/mid-scalp it is also minor and does not need to be addressed at the moment. The main area of concern is a receded hairline and thinning frontal third, which is what I intend to address through a hair transplant.

Dr. Nadimi said that I am a candidate for either FUE or FUT, and recommended somewhere between 1500 to 2000 grafts in the frontal area. Dr. Konior is booked into 2019 but Dr. Nadimi advised me that she could perform the surgery this summer. Interestingly, Dr. Nadimi said that a low dose of oral minoxidil may be helpful in thickening up my native hair.

Dr. Bloxham also said that I am a candidate for a hair transplant, and recommended FUT because he said that curly hair is more likely to be transected by FUE extraction because there is often "curl below the skin." He recommended 2500 grafts in a "frontal band" procedure.

My concern is that I would like to leave some hair in the recipient area -- at least 1.5 to 2 inches long on top of my head -- with the idea that this would provide some camouflage while the grafts heal and grow in, and I could go with FUE so that I could avoid a large linear scar. The "curl below the skin" transection comment by Dr. Bloxham gave me some concern though, and I wonder if the smarter route would be to go for FUT. If a FUT yield from Konior or Bloxham/Feller is significantly higher, I guess that would weigh heavily against FUE. I also understand that some doctors, like Feller and Bloxham, believe that FUE causes significant damage to the donor area and should be utilized only after FUT has been exhausted. Dr. Konior's office did not seem to share this concern and presented FUE or FUT as almost interchangeable, although I admit did not ask them specifically.

With all that said, I am wondering if people with hair transplant experience think it would be realistic for a NW2 or NW3 that still has decent coverage to undergo a procedure with the expectation of returning to work 2 weeks later without visible signs. I know that the best possible situation would be to completely shave the recipient area, but unfortunately my circumstances don't permit this.

Also, any thoughts on the doctors mentioned in this thread, etc., would be appreciated. I was originally planning on going with Konior and preferably FUE, but ultimately deferring to whatever method he thought would yield the best results. The long wait is unfortunate though and I have not seen any results from Dr. Nadimi. Feller is obviously highly competent, and I am impressed with Bloxham's aggressive approach and posted results, but most of their work entails FUT and shaved recipient area, which I assume would be impossible to conceal for at least 2 months or so.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interestingly, Dr. Nadimi said that a low dose of oral minoxidil may be helpful in thickening up my native hair.

What dosage did she recommend?

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have a FUE, I think 2 weeks is fine from what I've mostly read.

Susanoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll try and be brief.

I've undergone an FUE and in the majority of cases thinking if 2 weeks post-op is enough to "disguise" anything is laughable. After 2 weeks your entire recipient area will be red and it will be visible, while slowly fading redness each month. Your basically returning to work immediately after most of the dry dead and flaky skin falls from the recipient area.

Your unique situation helps a little bit. I took a look at your pictures in the other thread you mentioned, you have a ton of hair and aren't even visibly balding, or at least what you would consider balding by the norm. The transplanted areas that already have hair and decent density (although diffuse as you say) probably wont look too bad post-op and will just be areas of redness. However, if your planning on lowering your hairline or adding grafts to any areas that currently have no hair, its going to be visible as f*** for months. I'm talking not just redness, but the small incisions in your scalp from the procedure will also be noticeable to you for months when looking in the mirror. You gotta think, the transplanted hairs will shed within the first month and your going to be left with a red spot and a bunch of small incisions. Sounds like a nightmare but if your hairloss is bad enough its worth it for the results; so is yours bad enough?

Also consider your hairloss over the years. I'll probably end up harvesting all my grafts just to be a complete fullhead but I'm still not doing an FUT. I don't need any giant machete cut in the back of my head and would rather be able to get any type of haircut, and knowing that with FUE I'll still have enough grafts Im ok. Your hairloss is mild and slow, so I would re-think if your really need an FUT to preserve more grafts lol.

Lastly, yes the doctor whichever one you mentioned is right about FUE and there being a possibility of "curl below the skin". This is one reason why location should always be a factor with your doctor. Prior to my procedure we did a sample test FUE where 40 grafts were extracted (I have curly hair). Grafts came out perfect and I scheduled a booking. In your case I would do the same.

Frankw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll try and be brief.

I've undergone an FUE and in the majority of cases thinking if 2 weeks post-op is enough to "disguise" anything is laughable. After 2 weeks your entire recipient area will be red and it will be visible, while slowly fading redness each month. Your basically returning to work immediately after most of the dry dead and flaky skin falls from the recipient area.

Your unique situation helps a little bit. I took a look at your pictures in the other thread you mentioned, you have a ton of hair and aren't even visibly balding, or at least what you would consider balding by the norm. The transplanted areas that already have hair and decent density (although diffuse as you say) probably wont look too bad post-op and will just be areas of redness. However, if your planning on lowering your hairline or adding grafts to any areas that currently have no hair, its going to be visible as f*** for months. I'm talking not just redness, but the small incisions in your scalp from the procedure will also be noticeable to you for months when looking in the mirror. You gotta think, the transplanted hairs will shed within the first month and your going to be left with a red spot and a bunch of small incisions. Sounds like a nightmare but if your hairloss is bad enough its worth it for the results; so is yours bad enough?

Also consider your hairloss over the years. I'll probably end up harvesting all my grafts just to be a complete fullhead but I'm still not doing an FUT. I don't need any giant machete cut in the back of my head and would rather be able to get any type of haircut, and knowing that with FUE I'll still have enough grafts Im ok. Your hairloss is mild and slow, so I would re-think if your really need an FUT to preserve more grafts lol.

Lastly, yes the doctor whichever one you mentioned is right about FUE and there being a possibility of "curl below the skin". This is one reason why location should always be a factor with your doctor. Prior to my procedure we did a sample test FUE where 40 grafts were extracted (I have curly hair). Grafts came out perfect and I scheduled a booking. In your case I would do the same.

Thanks, very informative reply. As you say, I do have quite a bit of hair left so my thought was that if I don't attempt to lower the hairline I could possibly get away with a 2 week post hair transplant break. It sounds like that may not be realistic.

I feel lucky to have the coverage I have at my age, but I'm too receded and diffuse in the frontal third for my hair to look "good" anymore. If I could get regrowth with meds I would probably not even need a hair transplant but so far rogaine and finasteride only give me maintenance. It seems like a transplant is the only thing that actually works.

I work in an office and am in a lot of meetings throughout the day so a hat is not possible.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope 2 weeks is realistic for you, as I am intending to only have 8 days between the big day and returning to work.
I plan on being completely open about it to everyone at work; in fact I will even warn them ahead of time.

shookwun

Reaction score
you guys have no idea.

2 weeks is no where near enough time if you are fully shaven

the only situation that might work is non shaven fue, even then redness will be very evident

FUT - full shave - forget about it
FUE full shave - forget about it

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you guys have no idea.

the only situation that might work is non shaven fue, even then redness will be very evident

Would it be an issue if I am not bothered about the transplant being evident? Obviously I would like to do the best for post-op care. As long as post-op care is not compromised, I don't mind going back to work looking horrific. I am considering FUT with only recipient area shaved...

Frankw

My Regimen
Reaction score
you guys have no idea.

I'm sure full shave would be very visible, fue or fut.

What about leaving the hair in the recipient area a few inches long though? My thought was to not lower my hair line significantly and instead place the grafts in between my native hairs in the diffuse frontal third.

My recipient area already has enough hair to provide coverage, I just don't know what to expect in the way of shock loss, swelling, etc. Plus I don't know if an unshaven recipient area is just bad news for whatever reason

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 weeks unnoticeable! WhAh, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
Try 2 months!
Its better to be honest with it, nothing wrong with getting a fue nowadays. Nobody will judge you the way they did 5 years back as its a very common cosmetic surgery.

shookwun

Reaction score
just being realistic here.

personally my pink-redness tinge takes six months to completely go away.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Other than looking blatantly obvious that a cosmetic procedure was carried out, would you be concerned about anything else if you had to return to work say a week after the transplant? I'm not planning on hiding it at all.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Other than looking blatantly obvious that a cosmetic procedure was carried out, would you be concerned about anything else if you had to return to work say a week after the transplant? I'm not planning on hiding it at all.
Depends upon where they put the grafts. You may still have some mild facial swelling if you are targeting your hair line. Your scalp may be numb for a few months but apart from that you are good to go.

gibblet_head

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Frankw
Yeah its the redness that is a dead giveaway for people who are familiar with hair transplants. Last year I was in Zurich and one of the immigration officers obviously had a transplant since his entire head was pink but it didn't look recent, it was just a lingering pink. Personally I have had two transplants for my frontal hairline and for me the redness only faded after six months (i'm caucasian). I work in a chemistry lab so I wore a hat everyday after a couple weeks. If you have a naturally darker skin tone then I think it will be less noticeable. The donor area has to be shaved all the way down for an FUE and that will take at least a month to grow out so it won't be noticeable with discolored looking 'dots' all over the back of your head. Also, you should be able to leave the recipient hair a little longer and can try to conceal some of it that way if that's an option

But anyway, don't worry about what people think! I've see women in airports traveling with their face all wrapped up after undergoing some kind of cosmetic surgery

el_duterino

Reaction score
At the reception site the skin is going to look like a wet shiny Avocado and pink and with patchy hair due to shock loss - basically looking gross for about 3 months until hair starts growing then it will look much better by the week

Can you wear a hat at work ?