Retrograde Alopecia

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
I have retrograde Alopecia. I've been receeding fairly slowly since I was 20. I'm now 26, This year the forelock thinned considerably and made it look terrible, have gone from Norwood 2 to 3 approaching 4 very quickly it seems. I have started the big3 but with very little hope.
Theres no baldness in any male family members other than my brother who's 2 years older but for some reason his is not as bad. (Could be because he is a fitness freak and healthy eater...I am not)

I have also noticed my sides thinning considerably. So I now realise I have retrograde alopecia, meaning i'm doomed to somewhere beyond norwood 7.

Has anyone had thinning sides like this and have you responded well to finestride?

I have no crown loss yet although now I've buzzed my head there looks like theres a diffused Norwood 6 or 7 pattern. But this could be lighting as the top was very thick looking before I shaved.

If you look at my hairline there are some hair left in temporal regions, I'm really hoping I can revert back to a norwood 2. I need to, because my head is such a ugly goddam shape!

Do you think I have a chance with meds?

Attachments

• sidebuzzed.JPG
    sidebuzzed.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 7,058
  • sidelong.jpg
    sidelong.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19,199
  • templebuzzed.jpg
    templebuzzed.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7,186
  • TopBuzzed.jpg
    TopBuzzed.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 5,972

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
What rate and frequency will you be applying RU with w/minoxidil.?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have Retrograde Alopecia, which is thing behind the ears and on the nape. I am also thinning in a Norwood 6 pattern, so I have a large area to cover when I apply topical treatments on the top of my scalp. I myself have never taken Finasteride, though do take Dutasteride, which is similar but a bit stronger. My entire scalp hair has responded well to Dutasteride and I'm glad for that.

I believe that you have a chance with medications to treat your hair loss, especially if it's slow and not aggressive. It's currently stated in your regimen that you had side effects from Finasteride, and I'm sorry about that. It's also stated that you'll be starting RU58841 soon, which I'm also on. RU58841 may be the best current option to maintain hair in the long term if Finasteride cannot be taken. Minoxidil is also a good treatment to promote hair growth.

Reverting back to a Norwood 2 will be difficult if temporal recession has been present for a long time. If treatments do not properly restore hair in those areas, you best option may be is to get a hair transplant. Also, I don't think you have a bad shaped head. Please don't be hard on yourself as it is extremely easy to do so as a hair loss sufferer.

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
Not starting RU yet, I haven't updated my Regime. I'm giving Finestride another go and going to ignore all side effects and hope they go away. I hear Post finestride syndrome is great for hair anyway :)

All I need is for forelock region to thicken up. Hopefully including where there's very thin hair in temporal regions as well.

Hair transplants difficult as I really have no idea where I'll end up Norwood wise, My dads Norwood 3 at 60 (Started receeding at ****ing50!), Uncle is Norwood 2 at 65 and Grandparents were NW2's at most.
Think I did see a bald great great relative in a black and white photo once lol bastard!

I just really need these meds to get me back at least 6months, but hopefully 1year! and then maintain and I'd be the happiest bloke in the world.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Best of Luck Bottlecap.

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers I.D WALKER

Ah yea the reason I posted it in this section was I was going to ask if retrograde alopecia is androgenic. I heard DUPA isn't really helped by finestride. I'm hoping Retrograde is.

Should I add RU as well?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I don't know whether you should include RU. Because RA (retrograde alopecia) is still widely misunderstood it is next to impossible to predict how well, if even at all, RU might help. Of course you can experiment , however it would be totally remiss of me not to encourage you to see a physician/derm. who is an expert on this rare form of hair loss so you'll avoid and minimize the dead end maneuvers. Only wish l I knew more. Cheers.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
A few years ago I started to notice some retrograde alopecia too but its mostly near my sideburns and temple triangles. I was thinking it might be thyroid related as I do have an autoimmune thyroid condition. Nice to see you posting again I.D. Walker

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I'm pleased to see Our good doctor is still in. I hope you've been well.

daredevil14

Established Member
Reaction score
What a great thread. 25 years old here.

I have the same retrograde alopecia similar to the OP's long hair picture above, my hair is also very long (curly waist-length) so that "reflects" retrograde alopecia worse when I pull my hair from my back. Anyway, I am at the NW2 stage; I only have temporal hair loss, I jumped (hopefully too early) on finasteride almost 4 months ago and minoxidil just 1 week ago where I am applying it only on the temples and the retrograde areas (above the ears, behind them and a little down the nap).

2 questions which I am really NOT finding any answer for them online:

1. What is the REAL cause of retrograde alopecia? Some people place it in the same class as not-so-resistant-to-DHT male pattern baldness stuff while others (including experts) believe that it has nothing to do with androgens! It's really obscure. (While still making a huge distinction between it and what is known as DUPA)

2. Have ANYONE had any tiny success with addressing those areas of retrograde alopecia only? I obviously still can't tell whether finasteride or minoxidil is helping over there since they are still fresh in my system.

I am, however, hopeful that finasteride will protect my NW2 mane and I am not THAT much annoyed anymore with my empty temples, worst case would be transplanting a few beard hairs in the far future if I hopefully keep everything and if meds fail to regrow them (which is hard anyway lol). What really annoys me are the thin areas of retrograde alopecia since they "thin" my long ponytail reflecting the view that I have a thin long curly hair. :(

Bottlecap

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I wan't to know too daredevil14. I think it is androgenic as the pattern on top is very typical. It just seems for some reason a much larger area is effected. I'm still waiting to see if meds have any affect, really hoping they do.

daredevil14

Established Member
Reaction score
Bottlecap, any update? Myself, 7 months on finasteride and almost 4 months on minoxidil and I just added Nizoral (once a week).

My hair is still the same, only temporal loss, thin sides, behind the ears and a receded neckline, however thick elsewhere!

daredevil14

Established Member
Reaction score
Boulboul, it's an experimental drug, you have to prepare it by yourself (as far as I know)!

And no, I don't think it's easy to get it since we're both from Lebanon lol.

bluemoon1212

Established Member
Reaction score
This is what I wan't to know too daredevil14. I think it is androgenic as the pattern on top is very typical. It just seems for some reason a much larger area is effected. I'm still waiting to see if meds have any affect, really hoping they do.
Hey bro. Check my latest update on p..h...g... I had this retrograde **** too.