Resume/stop Minoxidil After Hair Transplant

Gbrt

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is message here, I've tried to find answered for this issue but couldn't find a definitive answer.

My history
Jan 2017 - started minoxidil foam 2*day
Jun 2017 - started propecia 1*day

I had amazing results from propecia (probably) in the crown, In the Frontline I didn't have and results and it only got worse.

April 2019 - did 3000 grafts fue in the Frontline only and I'm very happy so far (this week will be 1 month passed, transplanted hair is shedding as expected.

My doctor told me to stop minoxidil for 2 weeks before the operation (to reduce bleeding) and also not using it for 1 month after the operation.

Now I need to choose to I want to start again with minoxidil on the crown/transplanted hair/both.

My general concern is what will happen to my hair native hair if I choose to use it again on the crown. In the month and a half passed since I stopped I think my hair is the same (maybe a little worse, but I can't know because the length is so different).

Should I use minoxidil?

Thanks alot

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 1 month post-op and started with minoxidil 1 week ago (both transplanted - hairline and some part with native hair on the top of head). It is too early to say anything but i think it will be a big boost to my hair transplant as i was good minoxidil responder in the past. I also take dutasteride.
How is with your shedding after hair transplant? I think i lost 1/3 of my transplanted hair and i am 1 month post op.
Good luck!

Gbrt

My Regimen
Reaction score
My shedding is fine. I think about 15% has she'd and I'm 3.5 weeks after. I will give you a boost, but you will she'd some first in your native hair (this what happens to me when I started). How long have you stop using minoxidil?

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped using minoxidil about 1 month pre op. My surgeon said that during a procedure i did bleed slightly more than others, but there was no problem and for now i am satisfied with my hair transplant.

el_duterino

Reaction score
I stopped minoxidil 2 weeks before the surgery then Restarted a week after but only oral, 5mg a day
Switched back to topical a month later

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped Minoxidil 2 weeks before the surgery, and re-started 2 weeks after.
Absolutely no issues but I was seemingly a non-responder of Minoxidil anyway. I have no idea how long it takes for Minoxidil to be out of the system, but for someone who is a better responder, there may be some shedding when re-starting.
I had been on it for years before adding Finasteride, and that was when improvement began, although it wasn't enough to avoid a transplant.
If you're concerned about the shedding from re-starting Minoxidil, the transplant has sync'd your growth cycles anyway, so I'd say get back on it ASAP especially for the crown where it wasn't worked on.

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Rocknroutlaw your regimen is similar to mine although i don't use RU. Do you find it effective? Why do you use it only on temples and how do you combine apllying it with minoxidil?
Tnx man

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I stopped minoxidil 2 weeks before the surgery then Restarted a week after but only oral, 5mg a day
Switched back to topical a month later

Its a good idea to take 5mg oral minoxidil after the surgery. Because its too much time 1 month without minoxidil.

Rocknroutlaw your regimen is similar to mine although i don't use RU. Do you find it effective? Why do you use it only on temples and how do you combine apllying it with minoxidil?
Tnx man

Im interesting as well know how to combine Ru with others topicals.
I read some let it dry 30 minutes and than put another topical. But im afraid the second application could wash out the Ru

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I had not updated my regime. I gave up on RU after a period of 9 months. I first started on the temples only to test for detrimental reactions etc, then once I saw no particular issues I started applying it throughout the whole scalp. I had to apply it early evening so that it dries before I could apply Minodixil before bedtime. It all proved to be too much effort for seemingly no gain (possibly because I had already been on Finasteride, and RU added no further value in my case) so I stopped using it.
Since having had a transplant, I increased my intake of MSM+biotin. Other than that, I am simply continuing with topical Minoxidil/Finasteride/microneedling as per pre-op.