Results Of Changing From Using Tape & Bonding To Tape Only

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear a lace system with a poly perimeter around the sides and back.

When I started out I used to use bonding (ghost bond varieties) and tape all round the perimeter plus one strip across the middle of the system.

Due to the mess this created during maintenance I reduced the bonding area to only the very front and back. At the front I would only use bonding and no tape (for about 2 inches) and taped the rest of the system as before. Due to my having to constantly rebond the front with this method (ever few days), I noticed I was losing hairs because of this and so I decided to try tape only. My hold at the back was always very reliable so I decided to try tape only there too.

For the past 6 weeks I’ve used tape only on the system. The results have been interesting:

I don’t have to maintain the front at all now bar a few 10 second touches - it holds for the full two weeks I keep the system on. The system holds well and the clean up is dramatically reduced. I do still keep bonding handy for emergencies but haven’t needed it so far.

I do seem to be experiencing a bit more redness though - I’m wondering if the tape alone is causing the itchiness. Odd because I didn’t have this problem when I used tape and bonding, despite it being a much messier combo.

thought I should share this experience in case anyone wants to try it - it’s made wearing that much easier.

for anyone wondering I use walker no shine tape, contour strips, reliably lasts two weeks.

Last edited:

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only use tape, as well (walker no shine) and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m lazy af, so it’s great for me. I’ve finally tried their max sport scalp protector to see if I can get more hold time. I’d say my only gripe with the tape is that it weakens around day 10. I’m hoping to hit 2 weeks and still have a solid hold with the max sport (will update next Friday )

Last edited:

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only use tape, as well (walker no shine) and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m lazy af, so it’s great for me. I’ve finally tried their no sweat scalp protector to see if I can get more hold time. I’d say my only gripe with the tape is that it weakens around day 10. I’m hoping to hit 2 weeks and still have a solid hold with the no sweat (will update next Friday )
I think that’s just the nature of the walker no shine. My hold always loosens a bit around day 10 (but still strong/never to any worrying degree) and by day 14 I feel like I’m taking a risk leaving it on any longer. If I’m running a lot I’d say I need to change it around day 10. I use their scalp protector - think it does make at least a subtle difference but nothing amazing.

I read some people say they can leave their system on for 3 weeks with certain tapes - living the dream if I could get that long. Saying that, two weeks is decent and feels like a good routine even just in terms of hygiene.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that’s just the nature of the walker no shine. My hold always loosens a bit around day 10 (but still strong/never to any worrying degree) and by day 14 I feel like I’m taking a risk leaving it on any longer. If I’m running a lot I’d say I need to change it around day 10. I use their scalp protector - think it does make at least a subtle difference but nothing amazing.

I read some people say they can leave their system on for 3 weeks with certain tapes - living the dream if I could get that long. Saying that, two weeks is decent and feels like a good routine even just in terms of hygiene.

yeah, on a hygiene level, even 2 weeks feels like a lot, but the most doable. Though, it would be nice to see if the max sport gives me same results it’s given others. I would love to know I can go longer than 2 weeks, if I had to (I wouldn’t, though).

Noah

Reaction score
Hi George, thanks for the report. I tend to agree with you, two weeks is the limit for hygiene purposes, at least for me. Less in the summer.

What tape are you using for the hairline? Do you think the switch has had any adverse effect on the detectability of your unit at the hairline?

Noah

Fanjeera

Reaction score
How do you get the whole hairline down with just tape? Doesn't it come in big strips that aren't applicable to the exact millimetres needed?

Noah

Reaction score
It comes in contour strips, and you have to trim them carefully to match the contour of your hairline. It takes me 10 minutes to do the whole hairline, but I have never been very artistic LOL.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It comes in contour strips, and you have to trim them carefully to match the contour of your hairline. It takes me 10 minutes to do the whole hairline, but I have never been very artistic LOL.

Why do you need to trim the contour? If it doesn't fit exactly, cut it in half, and angle them in or out to fit.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you get the whole hairline down with just tape? Doesn't it come in big strips that aren't applicable to the exact millimetres needed?
I mark the hairline with my template and glue a tiny dot on the front at the centre of the hairline.
yeah, this is exactly what I do.

So, in detail:

I tape the system with contours of tape and then cover them lightly again with the paper strips so I can position them system without the tape sticking to anything. Then I apply a small dot of glue to the front and centre of me hairline (positioned using my template) and, after that’s dried, position the system. That holds it enough for me to start peeling the paper off the tape again and allows me to get the position spot on. Then I slowly start to roll the system back, removing paper from the tape all the way to the back until the system’s in place.

with the majority of the system in place I do the hairline. I cut the contoured strips into roughly quarters (so I get 1-2 inches) and cover the whole hairline. It takes a bit of time and care but it also means I don’t have to bother about the hairline at until I refit.

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
My only issue with tape is that it’s toxic - soon after wearing walkers tape I can usually taste the glue for a few hours. Never had any issues with ghost bond though - any idea if they do a tape?
Or if any nontoxic tape does exist?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My only issue with tape is that it’s toxic - soon after wearing walkers tape I can usually taste the glue for a few hours. Never had any issues with ghost bond though - any idea if they do a tape?
Or if any nontoxic tape does exist?

Can you PLEASE stop with the "toxic tape" conspiracy theory nonsense!

Baldrik

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you PLEASE stop with the "toxic tape" conspiracy theory nonsense!

sorry bro but there is a nasty taste with the tape a few hours after using it. That’s not theoretical. Also, tape manufacturers have not said it’s not toxic, like ghost bond have!

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Which backing are you supposed to remove first from the tape strips? The blue that overlaps or the one that fits the strip and comes off in two equal parts? Baldbearded just wrote it the other day, but I cannot find it anymore.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry bro but there is a nasty taste with the tape a few hours after using it. That’s not theoretical. Also, tape manufacturers have not said it’s not toxic, like ghost bond have!

Well, obviously ghostbond is going to say their competition makes toxic prudcts. Use your brain, dude!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
@George Hen: I too get irritated (dermatitis) from tape. It's a shame as tape is SO MUCH EASIER to deal w/ that stupid glue.

I haven't worn a piece much this spring & summer as I don't go out often &, when I do, I keep my head covered w/ a hat/bandana etc.

But I got a new piece in a few days & saw my hairdresser for a cut yesterday. Lace piece, to which I applied tape to the perimeter.

I had the piece on for probably 5 hours.

After taking it off when I got home, I was fine, but a few hours later, my forehead was entirely itchy & inflamed. I applied cortisone cream, which has helped, but you can still see a red ring on my forehead where the tape was, unprotected by hair.

I've never broken out that quickly.

Scalp protector has never worked but Got2B Freeze Spray has. Apply some to your head, wait for it to completely, completely dry (no longer tacky) & the film created on your head will help w/ irritation from tape.

I agree tape is so much better than Ghostbond, which neither works as well as tape nor is nearly as messy.

Glue is a b**ch.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which backing are you supposed to remove first from the tape strips? The blue that overlaps or the one that fits the strip and comes off in two equal parts? Baldbearded just wrote it the other day, but I cannot find it anymore.

I don't think there is a "side" to tapes (except for the "this side down" ones). It's the same adhesive. It's just done for ease of use.

You remove the tape from the longer backing... place it on your scalp or system, and then you peel off the shorter papers for adhesion.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
@George Hen: I too get irritated (dermatitis) from tape. It's a shame as tape is SO MUCH EASIER to deal w/ that stupid glue.

I haven't worn a piece much this spring & summer as I don't go out often &, when I do, I keep my head covered w/ a hat/bandana etc.

But I got a new piece in a few days & saw my hairdresser for a cut yesterday. Lace piece, to which I applied tape to the perimeter.

I had the piece on for probably 5 hours.

After taking it off when I got home, I was fine, but a few hours later, my forehead was entirely itchy & inflamed. I applied cortisone cream, which has helped, but you can still see a red ring on my forehead where the tape was, unprotected by hair.

I've never broken out that quickly.

Scalp protector has never worked but Got2B Freeze Spray has. Apply some to your head, wait for it to completely, completely dry (no longer tacky) & the film created on your head will help w/ irritation from tape.

I agree tape is so much better than Ghostbond, which neither works as well as tape nor is nearly as messy.

Glue is a b**ch.

Are you not using scalp protector?

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you not using scalp protector?
I use scalp protector but I’ve still been irritated since using tape only. Suggestions have been that maybe the system’s a bit loose because i wasn’t shaving my own hair far enough during maintenance and the system was overlapping a bit onto hair and, since that made it a bit loose in small areas, it was causing irritation.

always a gamble though, rather under shave than over shave - nothing worse than having to cover a bald spot, especially if it’s at the back and you’re constantly paranoid about it.