Rest between sets and circut training

G

If I do circut training, will it impede muscle development because there is 20 minutes between sets of each exercise instead of a brief one minute rest between sets?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
It's never a bad thing to change up your workout routine...more cardio, less cardio, more weight, less weight....it's all a good idea. The switching up of routines is what helps your muscles grow and also avoids plateaus.

Just remember this: You get stronger and grow during rest and proper diet. If you work too hard you're going to counteract your progress.

If your goal is to gain mass, for example, I would just do light cardio and a heavier, low set weight routine for about 6 months.

But to answer your question...circuit training is a good thing, but if your trying to gain power and strength, I would limit your circuit training to 2 times a week, at most.

G

Hey, thank you. I will keep that in mind. I think I will avoid the circut training starting out and use it as an alternate moving forward.

G

The only difference I can think of between waiting a minute between sets and waiting 20 minutes between sets with circuit training is that if you waiot longer the blood will leave the muscle and have to come back for the next set. Not sure what that would mean.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
The biggest obstacle in training is consistency. It won't matter if you increase cardio, decrease cardio, increase weight, or pass out dead. 99% of people fail to reach their goals with working out for the same reason: Its incredibly difficult to maintain a perfect diet, perfect rest schedule, and perfect workout schedule for a LONG PERIOD OF TIME. If you can find a way to discipline yourself and conquer the issue of *CONSISTENCY* for long periods of time, you will be 90% of the way to having that perfect physique.

If the consistency issue is conquered, you can actually fall flat on your face for a few days with horrible diet, food, rest, etc, and jump right back into it ... if you've been at it consistently for weeks and weeks, and go right back into it. Mistakes are allowed, if consistency is the norm.

Changing up your routine, adding weight, decreasing weight - its all butta at that point because the world is your oyster - if you've conquered the anti-discipline demon.

Just my $0.02.

HairLossTalk.com

G

Yeddie said:
The only difference I can think of between waiting a minute between sets and waiting 20 minutes between sets with circuit training is that if you waiot longer the blood will leave the muscle and have to come back for the next set. Not sure what that would mean.

Yeddie,

If you are going largely for muscle mass increases, the circuit training will not be optimal.

I would suggest 3 sets of about 8 exercises, ones that work the whole body.

1 warm up set,

2 work sets at 80-90% of max NOT TO FAILURE!

Emphasize the eccentric portion of exercise, say 2 seconds CONCENTRIC, 4-6 seconds ECCENTRIC.

3 days a week workouts.

Walk on the other days, say for 4 minutes.

Hi Protein, low carb diet.

Good luck

G

Yeddie said:
Great, how come not working the muscle to failure?

In short, you are teching your neurological system to fail on repeated basis. Your strength will plateau fairly quickly.

Cycle up and down towards you max weights and over time, cycle that upwards.

Make sense?

G

BruceLee said:
Yeddie said:

In short, you are teching your neurological system to fail on repeated basis. Your strength will plateau fairly quickly.

Make sense?

OK, I won't work it to failure. But I don't understand "Cycle up and down towards your max weights," can you please tell me what this process means? Thanks BruceLee :)

G

Yeddie said:
BruceLee said:
Yeddie said:

Make sense?

OK, I won't work it to failure. But I don't understand "Cycle up and down towards your max weights," can you please tell me what this process means? Thanks BruceLee :)

Sure that this means is that you dont go all out everyday. Say that your max on an exercise is 100 lbs.

Well today you may go to 85. Next work out maybe 90 and then the next to 95.

Next week you may start at 87.5 and then move up to 92.5 etc.

When you make a new max of say 110, you back down your cycle and start at say 87.5 and move on up again.

That is the general theory.

Make sense?

G

Wow, that sounds pretty sophisticated. Is that intended to train the muscles to expect more resistance next time or something? Or to lessen the number of events where failure is encountered? Or both? I don't know.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try this for a couple months. Thanks for the advice! :)

G

Yeddie said:
Wow, that sounds pretty sophisticated. Is that intended to train the muscles to expect more resistance next time or something? Or to lessen the number of events where failure is encountered? Or both? I don't know.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try this for a couple months. Thanks for the advice! :)

The cycling was derived from Russian sports research and is credited with the awesome display their Olympic weightlifters put on.

The theory in short, suggests that the neurology can learn and adapt but not in a straight line. Also that intense work exhausts the neuro system pretty quickly. So, the soviets do tons of work when they are very fresh and are very wary of what inputs they are making to their neuro system.

The whole thing takes a full book to get into but it works big time.