Requesting Help & Advice From Experienced Members.

Ross Bouchard

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello-

I was pleasantly surprised to happen upon this forum yesterday, & thought I would seek advice from its learned members. Forgive any perceived laziness, but I simply don’t have time to thumb through the numerous posts of the past.

I had my first consultation with Advanced Hair- Birmingham, during the early 1990s. While their office & staff were pleasant & professional, at that time, I hadn’t lost so much hair as to warrant their then expensive costs. On returning to North Yorkshire at the beginning of 2004, & having lost much more hair by this time, I arranged a second consultation with Advanced Hair in Leeds. I found the Leeds management to be in complete contrast to those experienced in Birmingham, but new to the business & product, I went ahead & purchased my first system. I’m unsure of the cost, though I believe it ran into the low thousands. It is clear I was somewhat naive.

Following two or three fittings, I concluded the Leeds office was less than honourable, & decided to answer a competitors red top advert. On consulting this new company- again within the Yorkshire region, I achieved a reduction to around £1000 per system, while product quality & customer service was also much improved, in comparison to that experienced at Advanced Hair- Leeds. We were now in 2006/07.

However, around 2011/12, having been made redundant, & my new suppliers having become indifferent towards my requirements, I once more set out to find a new, inexpensive supplier, since which time, I have been paying around £350 per system, having them repaired at a cost of around £130 per system- following approximately six months of wear- each.

Due to my aforementioned redundancy, I no longer mingle within the business & social circles I once did, & no longer have a need to look my best at all times of the day & week- though this scenario may change at any time. Moreover, as I don’t currently have the disposable income I once enjoyed, I’m looking to reduce my costs further. While recently browsing the internet, I was surprised to see hair being sold out of China at a cost of £300 for three systems, while a company in the south of England are offering single units at £275.

So please help & advise a naive punter. Where should I go to buy quality hair systems- at a reasonable price? I am happy to receive MPs.

Thank you,

Ross;

Noah

Reaction score
Hello Ross; welcome to the forum.

I have not had much luck ordering systems direct from China. The factories are geared to bulk purchases, and although some do sell to individual punters, the quality is very variable. I had one OK one, and encouraged by that I bought two more which were both unwearable. I am always up for a bargain, but I tend to think that, rather like cheap sushi, a cheap quality hairpiece is a false economy.

I prefer to buy through middlemen in the West, and let them take the risk of the product being substandard. You can get excellent reliable quality pieces off the Net from sources like that for less than US$200 (£150). I will PM you some suggestions.

Noah

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Buying direct is more miss than hit for many people. I have been wearing a number of years and have used various suppliers but all are either in the USA or UK. I tend to pay around £300 for a system now and that gets me through the best part of a year. I have purchased direct from China on more than one occasion as a test and I never wore any of them.

There is very little or no difference in quality between £300 and £2000. The key is a supplier that takes the time to talk through the options so you can agree the details and why. Paying £100 per system will give you a bad result.
I have sent a PM.