Requesting advice, if hair system is a way of life for me.

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.. I am a newbie. I think this section is a better place to ask for advice. I have booked my hair transplant with a very reputable surgeon and clinic in coming weeks. I stated taking finasteride 1 mg 2 weeks back. But as the transplant day is coming near i am getting very nervous. I am slowly getting inclined to cancel my surgery and go for a hair system instead.

I am married. Norwood 3. Am likely to require around 2500-2600 grafts.

My family has a history of hair loss. I wanted my hair transplant to be a one time thing. But I a not sure how my remaining hair will be in future. I can spend money to keep up my appearance. Not a problem.

As per what I can make out..

Hair Transplant Pros

1. It's real hair.
2. My doctor is really good. so he will be able to give me a great hairline and camouflage the bald area,
3. I will not have to worry about maintenance, like in hair systems

Hair Transplant Cons

1. It will be like an illusion of density.
2. I don't know how my hair loss will progress in future. If my hair recede, I may require another hair transplant. I don't want it to be a cycle.
3. It's a surgery. Although relatively safe and doctor is great. Bit still a surgery.
4. I will have to take finasteride and other medications for a long time to retain my existing hair, strength of hair. Long term side effects, I cannot say at this point in time.

Hair System Pros

1. I can have the density I want. i can go for a natural looking one.
2. I an afford to buy a new hair system every 4 months or so (this is relative)
3. I don't have to take finasteride etc.. medications. I will taper it down. concentrate on good diet, sleep etc.
4. It is not my own natural hair. But if others cannot make out, I really don't have problem with that.
5. I have good hair on crown and back. I will only get a partial patch to cover front and middle.

Hair System cons

1. It is not my own natural hair ( i am okay with that)
2. Maintenance of hair system (I will try to be disciplined and learn to maintain it).
3. Detectability ( Will people be able to detect it ??)
4. Side effects of using tape or glue on scalp and existing hair. I can get a clip one. i have good hair on sides and back . But will clip affect my existing hair ??

Just to add. I am 35 right now... I look okay completely shaven.
But.. for a 35 year old guys, people (especially ladies) don't accept completely bald. But as I will grow to 45 or 50, this may not be a problem. Maybe going bald at that time will only make me look younger.

Should I go for hair system for next 10-15 years. is it practical ? I am thinking to cancelling my hair transplant for now.

Requesting an advice please. Since, many here are wearing a hair system from a long time. thanks.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Go for a transplant first and use toppik if not good enough coverage. Beats wearing an expensive sweaty itchy rugg on your damn head for the rest of your life.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I think that you have to go ahead and try a system and see what you think. Also, consider the price. I am Norwood 6-7 so for me the price of a hair transplant with a top surgeon is approximately equal to 10 years worth of systems. That would have been a hair transplant that leaves my crown bald and I'd still need to pay for the meds. So systems win out for me price wise, and it was obvious for me to consider them before hair transplants. For you it may be closer. But if you are unsure, try a system and see what you think. You can take it off if you don't like it and who knows, you may decide that you don't even care about hair loss and can be fine with your NW3.

Are you tolerating finasteride well and do you think that it will continue? Are you ok to stay on the medication for a long time? Majority of people have no trouble but you do have these nightmare stories of people taking it for years and then getting sides and having to stop. And most doctors will, I expect, tell you that you can never be sure that hair transplant is just a one time thing. I saw a YouTube video of a guy who had a hair transplant with a NW3 or NW4 and then stopped taking meds and it looked bad.

I think that the reasons why people choose hair transplant over a system is because of the stigma and the inconvenience of maintaining a system. If you don't care about stigma then it's only about inconvenience, and you have to try that out for yourself. For me, it's a tiny price to pay for having hair. I do my maintenance happily every week. But I would have happily done 4 days straight of surgery if I thought that it was a viable option for me.

Also look at HairCafe on YouTube. NW3 guys can go on finasteride and get a hair transplant and seemingly be set for life with a NW1. That's exactly what Kevin did. So it's not an easy decision but if you want to try both then obviously system is the better first candidate to try because it's not permanent. Also, what hair style would you want? If you want shorter hair e.g. medium buzz cut, fade, or to reveal your hairline (slicked back etc.) then I think that the naturalness of the hair transplant would win. If you can hide the hairline and like a big, heavy hairstyle then I would expect the right hair system to be what you need.

I have had a system for around 4 weeks now. I have had lots of trouble and just this week I got it cut so that it looks natural rather than this big heavy thing on my head. I'm very excited about it and I find the maintenace ok. But of course, I am just excited about having hair. I'd be equally excited 1 month post hair transplant when my scabs all disappeared. The reason why I think that I will stick with systems rather than explore hair transplants is because I feel like one day I will just say "screw it" with hair loss and go back to head shaving or having a Larry David grandpa haircut.

Also look at the StickonHair Youtube channel. That's a guy who uses a partial piece, just like you might.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Go for a transplant first and use toppik if not good enough coverage. Beats wearing an expensive sweaty itchy rugg on your damn head for the rest of your life.
Everything except "expensive" might be correct here. Hair systems can be cheaper than hair transplants.

7000 grafts at 3 Euros per graft = 21000 Euros. Let's say that there are some discounts and stuff and round down to 20000 Euros. We can expect a hair transplant to look great for 10 years, but any more than that we'd count ourselves lucky. That's 2000 Euros per year. For 2000 Euros per year, however, you can likely get a year of system wearing. So they are comparable. But now factor in the cost of the meds for the hair transplant and the possible cost of a future surgery and the time value of money (systems you pay 2000 every year but hair transplant you pay it all upfront) and systems look cheaper. But on the other hand, systems have become more expensive since the pandemic and that could continue...

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that you have to go ahead and try a system and see what you think. Also, consider the price. I am Norwood 6-7 so for me the price of a hair transplant with a top surgeon is approximately equal to 10 years worth of systems. That would have been a hair transplant that leaves my crown bald and I'd still need to pay for the meds. So systems win out for me price wise, and it was obvious for me to consider them before hair transplants. For you it may be closer. But if you are unsure, try a system and see what you think. You can take it off if you don't like it and who knows, you may decide that you don't even care about hair loss and can be fine with your NW3.

Are you tolerating finasteride well and do you think that it will continue? Are you ok to stay on the medication for a long time? Majority of people have no trouble but you do have these nightmare stories of people taking it for years and then getting sides and having to stop. And most doctors will, I expect, tell you that you can never be sure that hair transplant is just a one time thing. I saw a YouTube video of a guy who had a hair transplant with a NW3 or NW4 and then stopped taking meds and it looked bad.

I think that the reasons why people choose hair transplant over a system is because of the stigma and the inconvenience of maintaining a system. If you don't care about stigma then it's only about inconvenience, and you have to try that out for yourself. For me, it's a tiny price to pay for having hair. I do my maintenance happily every week. But I would have happily done 4 days straight of surgery if I thought that it was a viable option for me.

Also look at HairCafe on YouTube. NW3 guys can go on finasteride and get a hair transplant and seemingly be set for life with a NW1. That's exactly what Kevin did. So it's not an easy decision but if you want to try both then obviously system is the better first candidate to try because it's not permanent. Also, what hair style would you want? If you want shorter hair e.g. medium buzz cut, fade, or to reveal your hairline (slicked back etc.) then I think that the naturalness of the hair transplant would win. If you can hide the hairline and like a big, heavy hairstyle then I would expect the right hair system to be what you need.

I have had a system for around 4 weeks now. I have had lots of trouble and just this week I got it cut so that it looks natural rather than this big heavy thing on my head. I'm very excited about it and I find the maintenace ok. But of course, I am just excited about having hair. I'd be equally excited 1 month post hair transplant when my scabs all disappeared. The reason why I think that I will stick with systems rather than explore hair transplants is because I feel like one day I will just say "screw it" with hair loss and go back to head shaving or having a Larry David grandpa haircut.

Also look at the StickonHair Youtube channel. That's a guy who uses a partial piece, just like you might.
hey man as someone who struggle with hairloss and hair system route.
if you could get a Norwood 2 with great density but having a lot of hypertrichosis all over body and face would you chose this? thanks

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys..

I am now going to share something that is entirely my perspective. It's been 3-4 days. I was just thinking and thinking...Taking so much stress as the day of my hair transplant was nearing. Look I have faith i the clinic and doctor, across many forums it is one of the best. The problem I have is that it may not be just one transplant and medicines to maintain it. My existing hair is going to be dependent upon medication. Maybe the thickness of transplanted hair too will dependent upon medication (this may be debatable). As of now, I have cancelled my hair transplant. I really don't feel I am ready for the Illusion of Density.

One thing I learnt during my 4-5 months of research. Forums, Youtube etc. is full of influencers... Influencers for transplant, hair system etc. The clinics, companies pay them to encourage their services / product. I am not against it. At least, they are providing some information. It is good to make people aware if the services or product is good. But many a time, whether about transplant or hair systems, the cons are not clearly stated. So it is important to hold your emotions and make an informed decision. I guess the fear of baldness at young age, make one take rushed decisions.

If Rafael Nadal Wayne Rooney etc. could look into the future to see what their hair would look like 5-6 years in future. They may or may not have taken the decision.

Right now I am in my 30s. So. maybe I feel insecure about my baldness. Maybe, as I will approach my 40s , I will accept my baldness and would like to keep a shaved head.

I guess there is a learning curve. As of now, I am ordering a clip based hair system. I will be taking it off during sleep. While doing heavy exercises, i will wear a cap. Now there can be a lot of cons with a clip based system, I heard it can be uncomfortable, chances of traction alopecia, etc. But ladies wear clips all the time. I guess it is going to be 3-4 clips. Again it is going to be a learning curve.

Any of you guys who have tried a clip based system ?

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think any side effects of finestride so far. It had been just 2 weeks. Except , I was thinking just too much. It may or may not be finestride (depression is a listed side effect). But , It was probably my fear of making a rushed decision. But then again, I was researching since past many months.

Since yesterday, I stopped taking finestride. I still have around 20 tablets left. People speak about tapering it down. But I think 2 weeks should not make much of a difference.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys..

I am now going to share something that is entirely my perspective. It's been 3-4 days. I was just thinking and thinking...Taking so much stress as the day of my hair transplant was nearing. Look I have faith i the clinic and doctor, across many forums it is one of the best. The problem I have is that it may not be just one transplant and medicines to maintain it. My existing hair is going to be dependent upon medication. Maybe the thickness of transplanted hair too will dependent upon medication (this may be debatable). As of now, I have cancelled my hair transplant. I really don't feel I am ready for the Illusion of Density.

One thing I learnt during my 4-5 months of research. Forums, Youtube etc. is full of influencers... Influencers for transplant, hair system etc. The clinics, companies pay them to encourage their services / product. I am not against it. At least, they are providing some information. It is good to make people aware if the services or product is good. But many a time, whether about transplant or hair systems, the cons are not clearly stated. So it is important to hold your emotions and make an informed decision. I guess the fear of baldness at young age, make one take rushed decisions.

If Rafael Nadal Wayne Rooney etc. could look into the future to see what their hair would look like 5-6 years in future. They may or may not have taken the decision.

Right now I am in my 30s. So. maybe I feel insecure about my baldness. Maybe, as I will approach my 40s , I will accept my baldness and would like to keep a shaved head.

I guess there is a learning curve. As of now, I am ordering a clip based hair system. I will be taking it off during sleep. While doing heavy exercises, i will wear a cap. Now there can be a lot of cons with a clip based system, I heard it can be uncomfortable, chances of traction alopecia, etc. But ladies wear clips all the time. I guess it is going to be 3-4 clips. Again it is going to be a learning curve.

Any of you guys who have tried a clip based system ?
I think you made a wise decision. You have to be ready to do a hair transplant because once you are cut there is no turning back. As you see more people closer to your age losing hair it might help you feel slightly less insecure about baldness but if you care, you will always care. I think if you were still single, your decision to get one might have been influenced more by that but I am sure your wife accepts you the way you are and told you that you don't really need one. My gut feeling is you might revisit your idea of getting a hair transplant in the future if you start to feel more insecure about yourself.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I got my first toupee, I was so impressed by it, I ruled out getting hair transplant on the spot.

The fact that you have to continue using medicine after the hair is grafted is such a turn off for me.

As far as the "surgery" is concerned, it's not really surgery. I know so many ppl who've gotten them - it's nothing.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
I wore a system for two years and then went down the strong drug route (oral minoxidil, dutasteride, etc.)

Despite that I looked good and had an instant perfect norwood 1 again from my early 20s, I still prefer the drug route on the balance.

A hair system is a huge deal and the question of "worth it" very much factors in, in contrast to the easy and "biological" path of taking pills and having singular procedures. Frankly I would go so far as to say that a hair system is only worth it if your job and overall existence relies heavily on your appearance (actor, presenter, salesman, etc.); whereas most likely you are just some fat ugly old family man. With a system you are effectively trading one problem (the ugliness of balding) for another humongous problem (the existential problem of having to affix and manage a fragile synthetic object against your natural body forever on a 24/6 basis).

Remember that even the best hair system will never truly blend to your mind's satisfaction to your native hair, considering how the sides and temples themselves thin and recede, hair has minute differences in shading and also goes grey, and that you can never have a realistic hairline. And I say this as someone who had a good "profile" for blending: good temples, black hair, young face, comb forward hairstyle.

Last edited:

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to further add a controversial opinion which is that even with a hair system, finasteride may be required to preserve the temples and sides. The fact that not only does the top go, but the temples and sides recede and thin, is a non-obvious point that salons don't tell you and you only learn with deeper research. I only came to know this a year into wearing hair despite thinking myself an expert on male pattern baldness. Luckily with the youtube explosion of the last 2-3 years this knowledge is more out there.

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally, the best illustration of the good and bad of a hair system is witnessed in the case of Sean Connery in the movie Goldfinger. The good is that his system "passes" and he manages to remain a worldwide sex symbol. Cool. The bad that to the slightest bit of in-person scrutiny the usual wig problems are seen: i) thick, "island"-like hairline; ii) visible lacing at hairline; iii) shading mismatch; iv) majorly receded temples out of balance with the hairline.

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been wearing rugs for about 8 years myself.

Norwood 3... Should I go for hair system for next 10-15 years. is it practical ?

IMHO, no. This is really for guys who either 1. have very severe hair loss that they can not live with, and few or no other options. Which isn't you. or 2. absolutely can not bring themselves to commit to any treatment option that will be irreversible. I could maybe see you as one of those but suspect you just have cold feet, or are not "ready". You booked the surgery, after all.

With a system you are effectively trading one problem (the ugliness of balding) for another humongous problem (the existential problem of having to affix and manage a fragile synthetic object against your natural body forever on a 24/6 basis).

BINGO.

Go for a transplant first and use toppik if not good enough coverage.

In some ways hairpieces look better than fibres and in some ways worse. Toppik does not match the texture or lustre of hair, not by a longshot, and depends on favorable lighting conditions in order to look natural. But incorporates the natural 'architecture' of hair growing from the scalp. Toupees are made of hair but the huge majority do not even attempt to recreate that architecture, so need to be worn in a compromised style that conceals it to some extent.

Most of the toupees i've seen, both in person and in photos on forums like this one, don't look entirely natural. I have seen a handful that look amazing, and they are really the exception.

To make a toupee look completely natural, you pretty much have to be a *hair fanatic* who is able to visualize how it needs to look on, like, a micriscopic level. You have to be willing to put in countless hours of work, and to be a bit of a maverick, very resourceful and willing to defy received wisdom and any "rules" about what you can't do a hairpiece, and: ***You have to be willing to attempt doing things to your hairpiece that you don't really know how to do*** It's not a question of finding a good "hair replacement stylist".

It is endless trial and error. It's like undertaking a major craft project that can never be completed. This is coming from someone who has been doing hair since i was a teenager, who is able to have extremely technical conversations with hairdressers, and they're surprised when they find out i'm not a hairdresser myself. But It's a totally different skill and tool set to being a hairdresser.

To say nothing of having to affix and manage a fragile synthetic object against your natural body forever on a 24/6 basis.

I wouldn't bother.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.. I am a newbie. I think this section is a better place to ask for advice. I have booked my hair transplant with a very reputable surgeon and clinic in coming weeks. I stated taking finasteride 1 mg 2 weeks back. But as the transplant day is coming near i am getting very nervous. I am slowly getting inclined to cancel my surgery and go for a hair system instead.

I am married. Norwood 3. Am likely to require around 2500-2600 grafts.

My family has a history of hair loss. I wanted my hair transplant to be a one time thing. But I a not sure how my remaining hair will be in future. I can spend money to keep up my appearance. Not a problem.

As per what I can make out..

Hair Transplant Pros

1. It's real hair.
2. My doctor is really good. so he will be able to give me a great hairline and camouflage the bald area,
3. I will not have to worry about maintenance, like in hair systems

Hair Transplant Cons

1. It will be like an illusion of density.
2. I don't know how my hair loss will progress in future. If my hair recede, I may require another hair transplant. I don't want it to be a cycle.
3. It's a surgery. Although relatively safe and doctor is great. Bit still a surgery.
4. I will have to take finasteride and other medications for a long time to retain my existing hair, strength of hair. Long term side effects, I cannot say at this point in time.

Hair System Pros

1. I can have the density I want. i can go for a natural looking one.
2. I an afford to buy a new hair system every 4 months or so (this is relative)
3. I don't have to take finasteride etc.. medications. I will taper it down. concentrate on good diet, sleep etc.
4. It is not my own natural hair. But if others cannot make out, I really don't have problem with that.
5. I have good hair on crown and back. I will only get a partial patch to cover front and middle.

Hair System cons

1. It is not my own natural hair ( i am okay with that)
2. Maintenance of hair system (I will try to be disciplined and learn to maintain it).
3. Detectability ( Will people be able to detect it ??)
4. Side effects of using tape or glue on scalp and existing hair. I can get a clip one. i have good hair on sides and back . But will clip affect my existing hair ??

Just to add. I am 35 right now... I look okay completely shaven.
But.. for a 35 year old guys, people (especially ladies) don't accept completely bald. But as I will grow to 45 or 50, this may not be a problem. Maybe going bald at that time will only make me look younger.

Should I go for hair system for next 10-15 years. is it practical ? I am thinking to cancelling my hair transplant for now.

Requesting an advice please. Since, many here are wearing a hair system from a long time. thanks.
The biggest issue, for me, regarding transplantation is....

Just because you receive a transplant, does not mean the rest of your hair will stop falling out. Nature will continue and you will forever be doing additional transplants... making the donor area more sparse, until nature wins out... and you no longer have enough doner hair to move.....

Last edited:

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, to all the n00bs who are reading this, now is really not a good time to start, because the quality and availability of "hair systems" is nothing like what it was pre-COVID. If I was just getting my first system now, I'd be very discouraged by the quality, and personally I'm not optimistic about the recovery of the industry, in particular the quality standards we are used to.

I don't want to discourage those looking to try it, especially the severe cases with no other options, but I want to manage expectations and encourage individual experimentation.

DarthJoking

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a Norwood 7 bald guy myself. Aged 38
I wear a hair system mainly as I miss having hairstyles.

However I've tried many many tapes and glues with Walker max hold sport scalp protector and without and I get irritation and annoying itching after a few days(3-4 days) on the tape/glue areas.
I'm close to giving up on hair systems and going back to shaving my head.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
When i first started losing my hair i thought about getting a hair transplant. I'm so glad I didn't because there's no doubt i would have rushed into it and been butchered.

After a lot of research i decided to go down the med's route and I'm glad i did, it really slowed my loss, all i did was grow my hair long to cover the loss. But the hair loss didn't stop completely and i went for a small hairline piece which was an improvement, very little maintenance, little cost all pretty easy.

I still think about eventually having a hair transplant but at least i now know the top doctors and standards have improved so much that the chances of getting poor results are very slim.

But there's also a chance i;ll never have a hair transplant and will continue to wear. The problem with people who wear and haven't told anyone is how do you get a hair transplant without coming clean?? You cant wear a wig on transplanted grafts so the only option is tell people or disappear for a year...which i actually considered for a while lol.

I think the best option is as soon as you notice some hair loss get on med's and then have very small FUE's as you lose hair.

Discipline hair

My Regimen
Reaction score
When i first started losing my hair i thought about getting a hair transplant. I'm so glad I didn't because there's no doubt i would have rushed into it and been butchered.

After a lot of research i decided to go down the med's route and I'm glad i did, it really slowed my loss, all i did was grow my hair long to cover the loss. But the hair loss didn't stop completely and i went for a small hairline piece which was an improvement, very little maintenance, little cost all pretty easy.

I still think about eventually having a hair transplant but at least i now know the top doctors and standards have improved so much that the chances of getting poor results are very slim.

But there's also a chance i;ll never have a hair transplant and will continue to wear. The problem with people who wear and haven't told anyone is how do you get a hair transplant without coming clean?? You cant wear a wig on transplanted grafts so the only option is tell people or disappear for a year...which i actually considered for a while lol.

I think the best option is as soon as you notice some hair loss get on med's and then have very small FUE's as you lose hair.
The only thing stopping me from getting a hair transplant is:

1. One may not be enough. What happens after 4-5 years. If my hairline recedes, Will I need to take more. I do not want make it a cycle.

2. Nothing against medications. But I don't think they suit me. If it was for short term 6-8 months fine. But my doctor categorically told me. You need to keep taking finasteride as long as you want to keep your hair. I appreciate his honesty for that.

3. I look good bald too. I am in my 30s now, so I feel like keeping my hair. People are like, oh he went bald so early. I miss the attention I used to get few years back. But 10 to 15 years from now, I would'nt mind going for the Jeff Bezos look. For a 45-50 year old guy, bald head can actually make him look younger. No white hair, No hair coloring. A FUE transplant does give some dots at the back of the head.