Replicel Hair Loss Treatment Trial Is Set To Begin In Japan

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Swoop any insight to why you think Riken can culture cells much faster than Shiseido?

Just curious - if anything Riken's procedure sounds more complex.
For replicel the cell cultivation period is 5-8 weeks, the treatment period lasted for 24 months during the first phase. In the Tsuji study (2012) it only took about 17 days for the hairs to grow after the transplantation, i'm not sure how long it took to cultivate the cells though.

Last edited:

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
For replicel the cell cultivation period is 5-8 weeks, the treatment period lasted for 24 months- during the first phase i believe. In the Tsuji study (2012) it only took about 17 days for the hairs to grow after the transplantation, i'm not sure how long it took to cultivate the cells though.

It lasted 6 months. If we knew we'd get only 10% growth after 2 years from the date of injections, everyone would consider it a write-off. But 6 months isn't conclusive.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are these phase 2 trials? Did they do phase 1, if yes what results did they get in phase 1 ?What is the excitement all about?

Yes it's Phase 2. They can release it after Phase 2 in Japan. I think they can even release it during Phase 2 if they can convince regulators of efficacy and safety. Phase 1 results didn't show much improvement, but that's not the point of a Phase 1 trial.

It's hard to say what this could do for regrowth. There should be some, and the possibility exists for near total regrowth for some people, but that is unlikely in my mind. They take stem cells from dht resistant follicles and inject them into balding areas. One problem is that the stem cells only migrate to active follicles. Hair that's in the resting phase isn't affected. So the chance of this being a cure is zero. The exciting part is that it should make all your hair resistant to DHT, preventing any further loss without the need for finasteride.

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
It lasted 6 months. If we knew we'd get only 10% growth after 2 years from the date of injections, everyone would consider it a write-off. But 6 months isn't conclusive.
the follow up phase was 24 months, my bad.

Last edited:

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Japan is much more productive than western nations, and the stats prove this. Just look at japans patent count per million, it totally smashes western countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Intellectual_Property_Indicators

And Japan beat most western world countries to cellular services penetration, first 3rd generation phone calls, ftth and fttb connections, blistering internet download speeds etc thanks to NTT Docomo. When our thundering nitwits were arguing about bandwidth auctions and which data protocols were best to gouge us with, NTT Docomo just said to their telcos and equipment manufacturers, Do it!

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Who's going to want a 8mm hole punched out of their scalp lol and why did Shiseido show actual tweezers and individual hairs in their illustration when indications are that they plan to take a punch biopsy?

Last edited:

bags

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all let just hope Dr Wesley can get his Pilofocus method of hair extraction to market and the Japanese consider using it to remove the healthy hair follicles. It would really limit the damage from punch biopsies.

Also it looks like RCH-01 will both restore the health of current and dormant hair follicles; weather or not that will make the current hairs resistant to DHT is to be seen. But! it should also create new hairs resistant to DHT. Just watch this video.

If thats the case, I was right in asking whats the difference between this a Tsuji? Feel free to correct me.....

what

Established Member
Reaction score
And people say you wont care about baldness x number of years from now...

Yeah right.

You don't stop caring. Regardless of age, That's for damn sure. Yeah, it gets a bit easier to deal with as you get older, but it definitely sucks to see yourself age prematurely. I want the cure now, as much as i did in 2003

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If thats the case, I was right in asking whats the difference between this a Tsuji? Feel free to correct me.....

i think, but don't quote me:

Tsuji - complex cell manipulations (safety record yet to be established)
Replicel - dermal papilla cup cell multiplications without complex cell manipulations (5 years safety data)

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think, but don't quote me:

Tsuji - complex cell manipulations (safety record yet to be established)
Replicel - dermal papilla cup cell multiplications without complex cell manipulations (5 years safety data)
Tsuji is creating and injecting follicle "germs" - think of them as new baby follicles being injected into your head.

Replicel is culturing existing DHT resistant cells (not new follicles) and hoping these DHT resistant cells will make the hair you still have DHT resistant and possibly awake/repopulate your thinning/miniaturized follicles to kickstart them into growing again.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's an old video. Lee Buckler said in interviews since then that their belief is that androgen-resistant cells that are injected around the follicle will stay there and continue to multiply, just as they do on the back of the head, so it should be long-lasting to permanent. He also said that they think hairs will need to be in the anagen phase in order for the injected cells to migrate to the follicle.

Tsuji is actually creating follicles to inject into bald scalp. They don't require the presence of existing follicles like Replicel does. Replicel is simply trying to replenish the cell population in existing follicles. How well it works no one will know until after the trial.

bags

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's an old video. Lee Buckler said in interviews since then that their belief is that androgen-resistant cells that are injected around the follicle will stay there and continue to multiply, just as they do on the back of the head, so it should be long-lasting to permanent. He also said that they think hairs will need to be in the anagen phase in order for the injected cells to migrate to the follicle.

Tsuji is actually creating follicles to inject into bald scalp. They don't require the presence of existing follicles like Replicel does. Replicel is simply trying to replenish the cell population in existing follicles. How well it works no one will know until after the trial.

Oh okay so what they state at 1:24 is off the table then Im assuming. If so, thats okay for me at least; I still got a full, but just starting to thin head of hair. Hopefully we can conquer this before I ever have to even slightly go through what some of the veterans on here have.....

GLTA

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just wanna share this guy's story with you, it is in the tell your story section:
7 years on finasteride, 3 years on dermarolling & minoxidil and as for results ? Never seen anything like it, unf***inbelievable:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...fine-result-from-7-month-treatment-pic.44087/
That's the issue with propecia and minoxidil, only a small percentage of people have dramatic results like that, and judging by the replicel trials there was quite a wide range of results among the subjects - only 2 or 3 subjects reacted very well to it.

Ken1983

Established Member
Reaction score
the follow up phase was 24 months, my bad.
i wonder why replicel didn't keep monitoring the hair density of all their subjects during the 24 month follow up phase? That would at least give a bit of evidence that the scalp is DHT resistant post treatment.

I mean that seems like one of the major unique selling points of RCH1

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

lynney45

Established Member
Reaction score
i wonder why replicel didn't keep monitoring the hair density of all their subjects during the 24 month follow up phase? That would at least give a bit of evidence that the scalp is DHT resistant post treatment.

I mean that seems like one of the major unique selling points of RCH1

How does RCH-01 immunize hair and make it dht resistant. I don't understand this process with the treatment.

Can someone please elaborate and explain how this is done please?

bags

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Man I don't mean to have a sour attitude but I just realized what Lynney45 above me said makes sense. Even watching the video I posted makes me wonder how the new injected cell are going to help the current DHT prone cells become resistant to DHT? Are they going to surround the old follicles and merge with them or act as a barrier?

I guess we will find out soon enough. I think that we will be surprised to see what actually happens. I wouldn't count out the growth of new follicles just yet as that seems like the most sensible thing to come out of the procedure.... Taking DHT resistant cells and culturing them and injecting them into bald areas to form new follicles.

As for Lee. After hearing the interview Hellouser did with the crew from Replicell they seemed pretty lacklustre in how their product actually worked. Lets hope the Japanese actually have an understanding of whats going on and they are able to also create the new follicles as well as make the current hair DHT resistant.

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
How does RCH-01 immunize hair and make it dht resistant. I don't understand this process with the treatment.

Can someone please elaborate and explain how this is done please?

My understanding is that hair taken from the back of the head is coded in the DNA to be androgen resistant already. Since the cells are take from those follicles, they will express the same resistance.