Remember When Dutasteride Was Considered ~the Solution~ To Hair Loss?

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
What happened to those days? FDA approval went down the tubes. I'm taking internet duta consistently for about a month now. Sometimes I feel tired. But my hair still sucks, thinning, pulls out easily, etc. I've also been on finasteride since summer 2016.

If DHT is the problem how is duta not the answer? I see old threads where people are counting down to FDA approval and singing the praises of what amounts to a functional cure. I just don't get it. I'm extremely depressed by my hair loss and the way you keep falling down rabbit holes with it is so frustrating. Its like a living nightmare. Sorry for the hyperbole but that's truly how its been for me.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel your pain mate, i'm in the same boat, on finasteride and dutasteride combined and if I run my hands through my hair can get over 200 hairs easily daily...Almost if I kept going I'd be able to keep getting hairs in my hands or in the sink.

No idea why it doesn't work...would love to have a solution to all this

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel your pain mate, i'm in the same boat, on finasteride and dutasteride combined and if I run my hands through my hair can get over 200 hairs easily daily...Almost if I kept going I'd be able to keep getting hairs in my hands or in the sink.

How long have you been on duta?

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

But I have read (and believe Bryan stated in the past) that type 2 5ar is what is present in th dermal papilla. These "scalp DHT" measurements are not very accurate in terms of hair loss. I'm not sure what to think

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Do you have pics of your hair that you can share from beginning of treatment vs now? Maybe it's not as bad as you think. I'd love to see the long term results of dutasteride too

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
But I have read (and believe Bryan stated in the past) that type 2 5ar is what is present in th dermal papilla. These "scalp DHT" measurements are not very accurate in terms of hair loss. I'm not sure what to think

You don't need to think anything, you can just look at the hair counts of 0.5 vs 2.5 mg.

"Dutasteride increased target area hair count versus placebo in a dose-dependent fashion and
dutasteride 2.5 mg was superior to finasteride at 12 and 24 weeks. Expert panel photographic review and
investigator assessment of hair growth confirmed these results. Scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone levels
decreased, and testosterone levels increased, in a dose-dependent fashion with dutasteride."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17110217

Just look at the study through Sci-Hub to get all the data.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
In what fashion can I take 2.5 mg? I'm supposed to take 5 pills a day?

Well, yeah... I didn't say it would be affordable, I'm just saying, if you really want to go all out to stop it, that's technically one more thing you can try. Because 2.5 mg is quite a bit more effective.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stick with 0,5.
You must wait 5/6 months for the first improvements because duta take a lot of time to build in the system

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah... I didn't say it would be affordable, I'm just saying, if you really want to go all out to stop it, that's technically one more thing you can try. Because 2.5 mg is quite a bit more effective.
How much do you pay your dutasteride ? Here where i live 5 pills a day of duta is affordable only for a rich person

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Here is an idea, get an actual prescription. You have no idea what the hell you are getting on the internet. With that said, you will not see anything for at least 3 to 4 months after use. Keep in mind, whenever there are changes with the hormones hair loss can temporarily get worse for a short time. Lets not forget how slow hair growth is as well, things don't happen instantly with these drugs.

GP and hair transplant surgeon declined to prescribe dutasteride, not sure where else I could go to get a non FDA approved drug. But now that you mention it I may call some dermatologist offices, I can always ask.

abcdefg

Reaction score
What? dutasteride still is the solution to the male pattern baldness. Everyone still takes finasteride I mean nothing changed in the last 25 years. dutasteride is more risky, but same principle, and its still the only/best thing there is
Not sure what ever happened with the FDA approval, but I guess they gave up
Ive been called stupid, but I still think for some men testosterone plays a role in male pattern baldness along with DHT

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
What? dutasteride still is the solution to the male pattern baldness. Everyone still takes finasteride I mean nothing changed in the last 25 years. dutasteride is more risky, but same principle, and its still the only/best thing there is
Not sure what ever happened with the FDA approval, but I guess they gave up
Ive been called stupid, but I still think for some men testosterone plays a role in male pattern baldness along with DHT
Wasn't FDA approved because it wasn't going to be profitable. No point in taking it to phase 3 trials if your not going to make money.
And I believe testosterone is highly involved in male pattern baldness for some people.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Wasn't FDA approved because it wasn't going to be profitable. No point in taking it to phase 3 trials if your not going to make money.
And I believe testosterone is highly involved in male pattern baldness for some people.

Forgive my ignorance, why are you guys bringing up testosterone? I know propecia increases it doesn't dutasteride as well? No agenda to my question just not sure the point the last two posts are making?

Are you saying that even though duta surpresses almost all DHT it doesn't matter because some people's balding is testosterone based? I would agree thats my point that for many duta is no solution.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, why are you guys bringing up testosterone? I know propecia increases it doesn't dutasteride as well? No agenda to my question just not sure the point the last two posts are making?

Are you saying that even though duta surpresses almost all DHT it doesn't matter because some people's balding is testosterone based? I would agree thats my point that for many duta is no solution.
Yes that is the reason we're bringing up testosterone. If testosterone is largely to blame for male pattern baldness for some people then duta and fina will not work for these people, as they don't lower testosterone but actually raise these levels. And duta raises it far more than finasteride especially at high dosages.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have pics of your hair that you can share from beginning of treatment vs now? Maybe it's not as bad as you think. I'd love to see the long term results of dutasteride too

Well that's what the long term results look like after running hands through the hair for a while this morning. Could easily have gone on as well.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,609

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well that's what the long term results look like after running hands through the hair for a while this morning. Could easily have gone on as well.

After of this photo, When was the last time you washed your hair?