Remember When Dutasteride Was Considered ~the Solution~ To Hair Loss?

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
wow JDW bro , what is tour current Norwood level ? you shed taht much hair despite bieng on duta ?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using dutasteride 3 years. See my results pics in my signature. Hair still looks as good as the year 1 pic. It IS a cure for almost every person. First, you should inform yourself of how the drug works and hair life cycles. The fact that you thought your shedding would stop within a month is ridiculous.

First, your hair has to enter the catagene phase. This takes 3 weeks. It's when your hair stops growing. After that, the telogen phase typically lasts 2 or 3 months, which is the shedding phase of the hair life cycle before growing again. So there is NO WAY you would ever see results in 1 month. If anything, you should see increased shedding around this time if the dutasteride is in fact causing new, healthy hairs to grow back in.

Don't try 2.5. It's dumb. You haven't even seen whether 0.5 is working for you yet, which it almost certainly is.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
I've been using dutasteride 3 years. See my results pics in my signature. Hair still looks as good as the year 1 pic. It IS a cure for almost every person. First, you should inform yourself of how the drug works and hair life cycles. The fact that you thought your shedding would stop within a month is ridiculous.

First, your hair has to enter the catagene phase. This takes 3 weeks. It's when your hair stops growing. After that, the telogen phase typically lasts 2 or 3 months, which is the shedding phase of the hair life cycle before growing again. So there is NO WAY you would ever see results in 1 month. If anything, you should see increased shedding around this time if the dutasteride is in fact causing new, healthy hairs to grow back in.

Don't try 2.5. It's dumb. You haven't even seen whether 0.5 is working for you yet, which it almost certainly is.

Well I didn't emphasize it in my initial post, but I said I have been taking the (internet purchased) duta CONSISTENTLY (every day) for a month. Before that I've taken it sporadically for several months. Also I've been on the prescribed finasteride since summer 2016 and haven't missed a daily dose.

I hope to God you are right and these drugs will kick in for me. Going through this hair loss has been one of the most difficult experiences of my life. And frustrating too. I'm a diffuse thinner in my late 30s and I "shed" most of the hair I've lost in my 20s. I don't really experience "sheds." I will say that I use to suffer from TERRIBLE scalp itch, and when it would itch bad I think I did shed along with it. Since the finasteride I haven't noticed any itching or shedding but I keep my hair quite short now. So as far as finasteride and duta working I just go by what I see in the mirror, texture, and pull tests. So yeah I don't really know what people mean by shed, or I don't experience sheds anymore. Maybe my hair is too far gone for sheds.

Versplinteren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I didn't emphasize it in my initial post, but I said I have been taking the (internet purchased) duta CONSISTENTLY (every day) for a month. Before that I've taken it sporadically for several months. Also I've been on the prescribed finasteride since summer 2016 and haven't missed a daily dose.

I hope to God you are right and these drugs will kick in for me. Going through this hair loss has been one of the most difficult experiences of my life. And frustrating too. I'm a diffuse thinner in my late 30s and I "shed" most of the hair I've lost in my 20s. I don't really experience "sheds." I will say that I use to suffer from TERRIBLE scalp itch, and when it would itch bad I think I did shed along with it. Since the finasteride I haven't noticed any itching or shedding but I keep my hair quite short now. So as far as finasteride and duta working I just go by what I see in the mirror, texture, and pull tests. So yeah I don't really know what people mean by shed, or I don't experience sheds anymore. Maybe my hair is too far gone for sheds.
Try fixing the itch on your scalp. Keto shampoo 2/3 times a week and there is so much interesting information in Somebody's post in the tell your story tab to fix this. Would advice you to read that thread, very informative.

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Try fixing the itch on your scalp. Keto shampoo 2/3 times a week and there is so much interesting information in Somebody's post in the tell your story tab to fix this. Would advice you to read that thread, very informative.

I use Keto shampoo yeah. I'm not good about adhering to a schedule with it though. I just use it from time to time. And the itching has stopped, that's what I was saying above - I'm not sure if it was the finasteride or something else (like keeping my hair super short). I have very weird hair loss, I didn't even realize I was straight up losing my hair until very recently. With all that I've learned recently, its incredible to me that I didn't see it. I was clearly experiencing hair loss at 21 or so and im 37 now. So yeah I would scratch and scratch my head back in the day and hair would come cascading down but I thought it was just a "shed" and would grow back. I was not familiar with the concept of diffuse alopecia at all. I thought people who lost hair in a diffuse fashion had some sort of illness, I did not know DPA is a form of male pattern loss.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well that's what the long term results look like after running hands through the hair for a while this morning. Could easily have gone on as well.

Hm I guess I meant what does your current head of hair look like?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I started duta with a loading dose, 1.5mg the first 10 days and than 0.5mg.
Started shed after 9/10 days, you said shedding can occur after 3 weeks, so mine is hair loss ?

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow, what ignorance baldy. Just an FYI, DHT inhibitors have little to no feminizing benefit for transgender woman unless hair loss is present.

Calm the f*** down. Finasteride is known to make some guys develop gyno which is why we joke with the tranny thing. In any case, lowered DHT is preferred on a female.

Anyway, getting rid of the most potent male hormone is inherently stupid when you want to be man, it is, and it will always be. Yet, it's the only thing we have for battling hairloss. Im pretty certain we are living in hell itself.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Calm the f*** down. Finasteride is known to make some guys develop gyno which is why we joke with the tranny thing. In any case, lowered DHT is preferred on a female.

Anyway, getting rid of the most potent male hormone is inherently stupid when you want to be man, it is, and it will always be. Yet, it's the only thing we have for battling hairloss. Im pretty certain we are living in hell itself.

You just got schooled brah

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hah, I remember being told that I can start Finasteride at 0.5 and that it would probably work. When it didn't I moved up to 1.25 mg. Stayed on that for a year. They kept telling me, stick with it bro, your hair loss should stop soon, it takes over a year to work! *tumbleweed and crickets*

Meanwhile, TFW gone from NW2 to diffuse NW3 on Finasteride, waiting for that sh*t to work. Some people's waiting pays off, others just end up looking like an idiot.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After of this photo, When was the last time you washed your hair?

Around 4pm the day before, that was late morning

wow JDW bro , what is tour current Norwood level ? you shed taht much hair despite bieng on duta ?
III/IV
Yes daily, its very strange. The meds that I'm taking should have stopped the loss or at the very least slowed it right down.

Regulate

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat man. I can easily pull my hair out of my head and when I go through my hair I shed a lot. I use Finasteride 1,25 since February 4th. I really hope it will work eventually, if I read all the other stories you have to believe that the first months are tough as hell, losing a lot of hair and making you feel it won't ever work, but if you go through that pain you eventually you will be the winner with a smile on your face. I so hope this is true man... With the summer coming, I don't want to lose any more ground...

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

The irony is there's probably plenty of F to M transgenders that take finasteride and dutasteride

Also why do you think dht is the most potent male hormone. Most androgenic doesn't mean the most important, most people take finasteride with no ill effects

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
You would grow breasts with no DHT (because your testosterone would convert to estrogen and DHT is the only thing opposing it) in your body. For some people this starts to happen even on 1 mg of finasteride (it did to me).

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You would grow breasts with no DHT (because your testosterone would convert to estrogen and DHT is the only thing opposing it) in your body. For some people this starts to happen even on 1 mg of finasteride (it did to me).
I thought dutasteride only increased estrogen levels like 20%, and finasteride like 13-15%. The normal range for estradiol levels is 20-55 pg/ml. Technically this could cause sides as it is a sudden change in your estrogen levels, but you would still be in the normal range for most people. Death rates actually increase when your estrogen is below this normal range.
Also only 5% of your testosterone undergoes 5a-reduction into DHT, so I wouldn't say DHT is the only thing preventing your testosterone from being converted to estrogen.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought dutasteride only increased estrogen levels like 20%, and finasteride like 13-15%. The normal range for estradiol levels is 20-55 pg/ml. Technically this could cause sides as it is a sudden change in your estrogen levels, but you would still be in the normal range for most people. Death rates actually increase when your estrogen is below this normal range.
Also only 5% of your testosterone undergoes 5a-reduction into DHT, so I wouldn't say DHT is the only thing preventing your testosterone from being converted to estrogen.

DHT's effect against estrogen has nothing to do with preventing testosterone from being converted to estrogen.

It's effect is through antagonizing the estrogen receptor. By removing DHT, estrogen can have full effect, and even the 'normal' range that males typically have would be enough to grow breasts, without DHT!

See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6542571