Reflex Hyperandrogenicity From Finasteride. | HairLossTalk Forums

Reflex Hyperandrogenicity From Finasteride.

Discussion in 'Antiandrogens - Propecia, Dutasteride, etc.' started by whistle, Mar 8, 2018.

1. whistle

whistle New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hello everyone.
    so I have been on 1mg/daily of finasteride for about two months.
    about two days after I started taking it and until know, I have been experiencing Intense shedding. I shed everyday about 400 of dark, and thick hair. Also, my skin got worse and I had some acnes. I didn't have any single sexual side effect, sometimes I even feel that my sex drive is even better. It seems that I am having reflex hyperandrogenicity from finasteride.
    My question now, should I just stop taking it, or it is better to wait more ?
    anyone has experienced this side effects?

P.s: About a year ago, I tried Minoxidil for about 5 months and I experienced also an
    Intense shedding, so I decided to drop it off. I don't know if there is a connection.

2. itchymadscalp

itchymadscalp Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    If you have reflex hyperandrogenicity ... no matter what you do your androgen receptors will make things worse ...
    Try something else ... don't mess up with your hormones (I did that, with Dutasteride and then Cyproterone, a big mistake).
    Maybe Seti can help you ?

3. whistle

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    The point is that I am not pretty sure if this is permanent or just temporary (while my body can adjust the new situation).
    If I drop it off, then I don't have any other solution, and the hair that I lost will not recover. (I already lost alot because of Minoxidile and I am still 18)
    Sometimes, I even doubt that male pattern baldness hasn't yet started, but the meds inflame it.

4. itchymadscalp

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    @whistle : I think it's permanent, I would like to think otherwise. But I can't be sure you have reflex hyperandrogenicity ...
    If I were you I would stop it ... When I was your age I experienced the same but I didn't know a thing about RH ... and I increased Finasteride dose, then went on Dutasteride, increased it ... tried Cyproterone ... it will never stop.
    I hope for you it's not RH.

whistle likes this.
  5. whistle

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    what symptoms did you experience ?
    Thanks for you reply <3.

6. itchymadscalp

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    @whistle : When I first started Finasteride, after some weeks I had more sebum ... more hair loss. Then after some years (3 maybe) itchy scalp started. With Dutasteride 0.5mg I was relieved for 3 years ... but Itchy scalp and hair loss came by with a vengeance I increased Dutasteride to 1mg and then 2mg a day ... but because of that my libido was dead. I tried Cyproterone, with that I took only 0.5mg a day ... but it was a total failure. I'm now back on 1mg Dutasteride a day, but it doesn't work anymore, and my libido is ok like I were only taking 0.5mg ....
    I don't know if Seti can work for you ... but it's safer than Finasteride if you're prone to Reflex Hyperandrogenocity.

7. bridgeburn

bridgeburn Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    its only been 2 months, It's pretty normal to have a shed at first

8. DGARCIA694

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    hey OP... had exactly the same as you (including acne) this was 8 months ago (quit after 2 months)..... shedding is back to normal now and hair is slowly thickening up.

whistle likes this.
  9. whistle

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I decided to reduce the dose(from about 1.25 to 0.5), the shedding is getting better(but still have major shedding). I will see what is gonna happen. as you know, it is our last solution.
    how long did it take (after you quite )till the acne disappeared and the shedding got back to normal ?

10. Barry20

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi guys freaking out, 5-6 months into 1mg finasteride and then my libido went up had a shed now my hair has definitely got worse since I've been on it, hair is so thin behind my hairline, don't know if it's this hyper thing, would be so lucky if finasteride has just made androgens shit and accelerated male pattern baldness, should I stay on , the shed has sort of stabilised a bit but my hair ain't looking great

11. Barry20

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I do have oilier skin few more spots been sweating more aswell

12. itchymadscalp

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Since I tried Cypro+Estradiol my hair loss has accelerated. Some guys are lucky, they can use every AA without side effects + lot of regrowth.

Don't try something stronger, you could regret it.

random phone charger likes this.
  13. Retinoid

Retinoid Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I wonder if the hair loss was originally unrelated to androgens if people are taking a DHT inhibitor and some people are adding on top of that castration drugs and estrogen and their loss is getting worse.

I think the reflex hyperandrogencity hypothesis is possible but unlikely with something like Finasteride which 1) Decreases DHT by only about 65-70% and 2) Increases Testosterone in a corresponding manner.

Yes, DHT binds more strongly to the AR than Testosterone but Finasteride does not really cause an androgen shortage/crisis. We know our bodies DO increase receptors due to a 'lack' of something or a blocking of receptors (such as with antipsychotic treatment) but we also know that when we do not block everything, the body really doesn't freak out (such as the rebound effects of say Thorazine, which is horrible because it blocks everything vs. Risperdal which blocks only a couple of receptors).

Nobody's body is able to stay extremely androgenic with taking Duasteride daily, Cypro AND estradiol. If you are having androgenic side effects then something else is going on.

14. wannamyhairback

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I had typical symptoms of R.H and idiotically continued using propecia for extra weeks while having this then i dropped the drug once and for all , and after just 1 month all my previously regrown hair started growing again believe it or not! (YES! without propecia) BUt just because i am extremely stupid and this fucking DHT theory is number one rule in all hairloss community, and even though i was having my hair growing in a way that i exactly wanted(without DHT inhibitor only ROgaine), i started using AZElaic acid and it just made my propecia induced gyno , worsened sexual ability, oily skin, pimples,acne worse that were in recovery path after dropping propecia , and most importantly shed all my hair again and its been 6 months that i have not recovered.
    I do not know what to do actually i got my gyno surgically removed ( first few days after surgery i had my hairs growing again all over my head! interesting!! and 3-4 consecutive morning erections but lasted for 7-10 days as i believe it was because of some aromatese enzyme have been removed alongside the glandular tissue and i had this short lasting effects) and now i am left with 50-60% sexual performance of my pre-propecia, my hairs do not grow and i am oliy like a bitch! if you want you can read my previous post about R.H

15. kungfukenny

kungfukenny Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I'm in a similar position. 2 and a half months on finasteride, about 2 months in I started shedding, and in the last three weeks noticed increased body/facial hair, slight back acne and hair loss on the crown. So depressed right now knowing I've destroyed my hair and I'm certain that I'd have no crown loss at all if I'd never started taking propecia! Feel so down right now but I'm just praying that I can stabilise it and stop it getting any worse

16. big mistake

big mistake New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi
    Now I understand more things that I could understand before. I took Propecia 15 years ago during 1 year and a half. I stoped because I got horrible acne. I didn t notice other symtoms more, I got a lot of hair agai because Propecia. The big problem is that I couldnt stop acne since then, it caused me thousands of marks in my face, and nowadays it became worst even in all the head, I only can control with antibiotics. I got 2 big depressions taking psychiatric treatment because all of that, and I can not use Racoutane because it affect my psycology state.
    I would like to heard someone who could stop it and how, please. I always was sure my acne was caused by Propecia, and I thought it will be balance someday but unfortunatelly not. I would like to contact with People who can help in that please.

Thanks a lot.

Regards