Reducing Sebum

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I am actually fed up with my hair getting greasy just under 8 hours. I used to be able to get through 2 or 3 days without washing my hair, and now I'm just able to get through one day.

When my hair gets greay, more hair falls, the thinner it looks. I'm just fed up, what is the best thing which reduces sebum. It is really gettting my depressed, I have tried tons of things. Nizoral doesn't help the problem at all...

What shampoo's, supplements or anything would be best to use to stop sebum??

Jacob

Reaction score
Probiotics..(maybe) especially Lactobacillus paracasei..are great for skin conditions. Probiotics also are good for the liver..which also is good for the skin.

Consumption of the probiotic also resulted in several secondary benefits, including reduced scalp erythema, itching, and greasiness, along with a steady decline over time in scalp Malassezia yeast counts, Dr. Audrey Gueniche reported at the annual congress of the European Society for Dermatological Research.

http://skin.gcnpublishing.com/fileadmin/content_pdf/archive_pdf/vol40iss11/70545_main.pdf

There are other things one can take(Vit A..be careful though..etc)..but though I'd start the conversation with that.

Blurb on probiotics and skin/hair/etc health: http://www.bodyecology.com/07/02/15/look_younger_and_better_with_probiotics.php

Probiotics help produce B Vits...Biotin..Vit K (http://www.bodyecology.com/07/03/01/probiotics_essential_vitamin_k.php )..etc

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
probiotics are not going to do anything.

i have heard that vitamin b5 works well. do a search for "vitamin b5 acne" or google.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on what's causing it. Google "acne gluten".

Jacob

Reaction score
Ok..probiotics are not going to do anything. All that information is garbage.

Next?

:salut:

EPA and DHA- Fish oil etc..also are not going to..I mean they also can help.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
did you look at b5? i've researched this extensively and it appears to be the only thing available other than accutane that will work for men. i'm going to give it a try myself shortly.

if you are a girl (or want to me a girl) birth control pills can help.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I am currently on Vitamin A and will continue to take it as it stops my skin from getting dry.

I will check out Vitamin b5, and will update this thread to let you know how I am getting on.

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride reduced my sebum production a LOT. Umm, Nizoral helped me a little bit with it, but I have found polysorbate 80 was better at "Degunking" my hair from grease.

oofah

Reaction score
If you take B5 you'll have to take a shitload and it may or may not work but what WILL happen is you'll be farting up a storm!

10 mg's of accutane EOD will do the trick, the stuff is awesome.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
rogar6 said:
If you take B5 you'll have to take a shitload and it may or may not work but what WILL happen is you'll be farting up a storm!

yes too bad it's unsafe. it requires constant blood monitoring of blood lipids and liver enzymes. doctors hate to prescribe this drug because it is so toxic. it is used only for a last resort for people with severe nodular acne. using it to reduce oil production for no good reason is simply insane. not to mention it is incredibly unpleasant and hair loss is a side effect.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not touching accutane.

I used to be on it when I had tons of spots. I only havr acne around my back, not many on my face now. So I will go ahead with Vitamin b5 when I have the money :(

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Natwraggie said:

I used to be on it when I had tons of spots. I only havr acne around my back, not many on my face now. So I will go ahead with Vitamin b5 when I have the money :(
zinc can help with this and is relatively cheap

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
well my vitamin b5 from amazon arrived today and i took the first dose about six hours ago.. i would say it has already reduced oil by around 50%. not bad! no side effects so far.

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
Natwraggie said:

zinc can help with this and is relatively cheap

My current diet is high in Zinc, I want to be careful I don't overdose on it.

@ dougfunny - Thats great news, let me know how you get on with it ;)

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
rogar6 said:
You're talking about 60 to 80 mgs daily, what I'm recommending is safe.

no, it's not. some idiot on this forum made a post in the experimental forum and his triglycerides were through the roof even on 10mg. and he did not even test for liver issues.

besides why both this b5 actually seems to work and is infinitely safer.

Nene

Reaction score
dougfunny said:
rogar6 said:

yes too bad it's unsafe. it requires constant blood monitoring of blood lipids and liver enzymes. doctors hate to prescribe this drug because it is so toxic. it is used only for a last resort for people with severe nodular acne. using it to reduce oil production for no good reason is simply insane. not to mention it is incredibly unpleasant and hair loss is a side effect.

Preach it brother. I tried to explain this to people in the "Accutane a cure" thread but people got upset with me. I actually suspect accutane started my hair loss earlier than it otherwise would've.

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
after 3 days on vitamin b5, i am no longer quite as impressed. it does reduce oil around 50%, but only with huge doses that cause stomach upset and some nausea.