Red Ginseng Oil - Strong Potential?

Throwaway99

My Regimen
Reaction score

This seems to tick all the pathway ‘boxes’, anyone have any idea why this wouldn’t be viable / anyone tried it?

Attachments

• 75E8461C-BAD5-467A-ABA9-5FD45AD36485.jpeg
    75E8461C-BAD5-467A-ABA9-5FD45AD36485.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 111

CastorTroy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m interested in this as well as there are another couple studies on this red ginseng oil as well at 10 percent concentration but I can’t seem to find it for sale anywhere
There’s “ ginseng oil” and “ ginseng essential oil and one super expensive skin cream
By doginbi with small amounts of it
If there was a legitimate source for exactly what was used in the study I would get some

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People have been frustrated about hair loss for thousands of years. I'm convinced that there is no unknown treatment hidden in the natural world. It would have been discovered long ago.

Whatever the next big hair loss advancement is, it will use a modern drug/procedure. Something that didn't exist 100 years ago.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score

This seems to tick all the pathway ‘boxes’, anyone have any idea why this wouldn’t be viable / anyone tried it?

If it's a 5-AR inhibitor, then using it at a good enough dose would likely cause similar side effects as Finasteride.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
People have been frustrated about hair loss for thousands of years. I'm convinced that there is no unknown treatment hidden in the natural world. It would have been discovered long ago.

Whatever the next big hair loss advancement is, it will use a modern drug/procedure. Something that didn't exist 100 years ago.

By the way, this is a fallacy, as it implies that everyone has at some point tried everything for a length of time long enough to see some kind of results, which is quite unlikely, especially with more obscure molecules that are found in low concentrations in particular plants, etc.

For instance this plant contains compounds beneficial to hair, and I have not seen any record of it being used for hair loss to the present date:

I can agree with the sentiment that isolating the active ingredients and concentrating them may make it more effective than the 'natural' form, however.

paul1988

Established Member
Reaction score

I disagree. Can you imagine someone from the old days applying something on his scalp on a daily basis for 3-6 months without giving up after a few weeks?

Ganked By DHT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trapa Japonica is not avaiable to buy online anywhere, not even seeds, maybe because water chestnut is an invasive plant. Otherwise I would try to get it.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
y the way, this is a fallacy, as it implies that everyone has at some point tried everything for a length of time long enough to see some kind of results, which is quite unlikely, especially with more obscure molecules that are found in low concentrations in particular plants, etc.
I disagree. Can you imagine someone from the old days applying something on his scalp on a daily basis for 3-6 months without giving up after a few weeks?

How can you guys be SURE that soaking your elbows in peanut butter every night won't make you smarter? After all, who would have ever tried that? It's similar logic (as it relates to the odds of discovery). "I cannot imagine anyone trying it before, so maybe it would remain undiscovered."

The natural medicine world is full of treatments (for all sorts of health problems) where it's hard to imagine how they were discovered. But primitive people were surprisingly good at figuring out this kind of stuff. They had thousands of years.

Keep trying if you want. But I would bet $10,000 that I'm correct about this. There is no undiscovered natural treatment that will compete with finasteride/minoxidil. There is probably nothing unknown that will even match the impact of tea tree oil or lavender oil.

Last edited:

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, there was that man who regrew scalp hair after simply sticking his head in a coal fire.

Throwaway99

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think people are reading ‘oil’ and assuming it’s the cookie cutter type. What the study is referring to is a highly concentrated topical of ginsenosides.
One of the interesting pathways it affects is the Shh which is was essentially the cure when Curis used it before it was scrapped.

Ganked By DHT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I found I can buy 80% Ginsenosides korean panax ginseng extract powder cheaply so I am gonna add this the other asian herbs I started taking orally and topically. Need 6 months to evaluate at least.

I saved the full text of all related studies and will read up on them.

Last edited:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Orally sh*t gives me gyno symptoms day 1

I go by a simple rule these days. When there's a study on any new compound claiming it's good for hair, I CTRL-F the study and search for "5-AR". If it's mentioned as one of the mechanisms of action, I immediately cross it out. All 5-AR inhibitors will give similar side effects as Finasteride so you may as well use that.

The other problem is that these plant extracts are 'dirty' and contain dozens of different compounds. Some of them can also cause you unwanted side effects without doing anything beneficial for your hair.

Basically very few are worth using.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's a 5-AR inhibitor, then using it at a good enough dose would likely cause similar side effects as Finasteride.
Not necessarily, 5ar inhibition is not its only mechanism of action. It could be that it has a minor anti-5ar effect so it won't give you sides, but the other mechanisms of action are more substantial.

Incidentally, I've been interested in trying it, but been holding off for this precise reason. 5ar inhibition is one of its mechanisms and I haven't been able to find any info on the degree to which it inhibits 5ar.

inmyhead

Reaction score
The studies take a really high concentration of it in oil form - something which I have not been able to find online.
How much exactly? I checkout out, seems like pharmacies are selling panax ginseng oil (which seems to be same thing) in 25ml bottles.