Recovery from ZERO libido after Propecia

proscarred2

Reaction score
Hello, I am desperately searching for answers for help or advice. I took Propecia for about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs, kind of off and on (months I couldn't afford). I have absolutely zero desire for sex now. Literally nothing at all turns me on any longer.

It has now been since Dec since I stopped taking Propecia due to the obvious lack of desire for sex, and searching for insight in such places as this informative forum, which I am thankful for. I found so many similar stories. And I am so afraid this is going to continue forever. It is causing a serious problem in my relationship. She is a very attractive woman and I know myself and I never had this issue previously and am 29 yrs old.

My question is, are there any people on this forum that have had any success whatsoever with whatever type of regimen in recovering from this. Or, is it something that may just continue forever?

I recently asked my doctor for some blood work to be done. They have a lab there that I'm supposed to get a discount with as a patient. But, he's an old timer D.O., which it shouldn't make a difference if he is DO or MD, but twice now I have followed up and they are supposed to call for an appointment.

Has anyone any recommendations? Please...

Thank You

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hey, I’m genuinely sorry to hear about your situation man, I hope that you are able to sort things out.

If you believe Propecia caused these side effects, I would check out propeciahelp.com if you haven't already. From what I have seen, there isn't much available in terms of treatments, but I just checked and saw they are conducting some new in-depth studies on this phenomenon. Hopefully some good news comes from this and presents some more insight into the condition and potentially some treatments in the near future.

I personally believe there is a strong mental component involved in libido and sexual function, regardless of one’s physical condition. I personally experienced sexual problems in conjunction with some severe anxiety during the first month or so on finasteride. In fact I was basically not able to have sex for quite a while, and it caused some major relationship issues with my girlfriend at the time. After some thought, I realized I had doubted my performance, and basically constantly telling myself I can’t perform. After realizing this, I was able to stop these bad habits and basically get out of my own head. Gradually over the next couple weeks these problems went away and I haven’t had any other issues in 1.5 years.

I am NOT saying your problem is because it is in your head, because finasteride may definitely be the cause. However, libido lies entirely between the ears, and there is a strong mental component involved in feeling sexual desire. A poor state of mind hindered by anxiety and/or depression is a breeding ground for sexual problems, and they can persist for years. Most men who suffer from anxiety and/or depression have sexual problems, namely, lack of libido. Even men suffering from conditions such as hypogonadism (severe decrease in Testosterone production) often respond well to sexual counselling.

In addition to this, focus on things that are proven to increase libido. Regular, intense cardio and weight lifting are the two biggest. Clean up your diet and remove substances that can cause sexual problems such as tobacco/nicotine, alcohol and marijuana, eat fresh fruits and vegetables and remove sugars and salt. This sounds like obvious stuff, but in combination it can have a huge beneficial impact.

There isn’t currently any magic bullet that will fix things. Men with persistent symptoms don’t generally respond to hormonal modification treatments, and it sounds like a hundred different herbal treatments have been attempted with limited success. I would stick to the basics until more is known about the condition and the cause can hopefully be targeted directly.

Best of luck

nohawk

Established Member
Reaction score
I rarely reply to these posts because what works for one person could be a waste of time for another, but I'll let you know about my experience in case you'd like to apply parts of it to you own situation.

I started finasteride at 20 and took it until 25... I realized something was wrong when I took an attractive lady to my hotel room in Las Vegas and couldn't get hard. After that night, I began to slowly decrease my dosage until I came off completely, and ended up with a massive post-finasteride crash. Its now been 6 months since I came off and I am probably at 50%-60% recovered. Not great but much better than 0. Here's what helped me:

I started exercising everyday, and by exercising I don't mean playing tennis. I mean going to the gym and lifting heavy weights with few repetitions (6-10). To get your testosterone boosting you need to lift low reps and high weight. I feel hornier in general after going to the gym for a week, and my general disposition improves. For an extra boost of wellbeing I jog for 15-20 minutes whenever I can. When I stop exercising, I feel like sh*t. Another benefit of this is that you will start to look good, getting attention from women, and that itself can make u hornier.

I cut out most foods that I know are bad for me. Processed food, fast food, foods high in saturated fats, high sugar, high salt, soda, etc. I drink a lot of water, a lot of water and green tea, lean meats (red meat only once a week), fish, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.

I stopped drinking, I stopped partying until 3am, I stopped smoking weed, etc. And I try not to :jackit: more than a reasonable amount. I try to wake up early and sleep early, and I try to be consistent so that my body knows when to rest and when to work.

I take a multivitamin for men, fish oil, Vitamin A for my skin and thats about it. I try to stay away (except for the green tea) from drugs that claim to lower DHT or be Anti-Androgens because that would be obviously counter productive to my recovery. This is difficult as you might seem like you are willingly letting go of your hair, but you have to make a decision on what you want, cause if your the type of person that is suffering from 0 libido from finasteride, you probably can't have both your hair and your libido, some men can keep a balance, others have to choose.

I incorporate ginger in my diet as its a potent anti-inflammatory and I use minoxidil on my hairline, thats about all I do for my hair besides staring at it in the mirror all day.

In the last 6 months my libido has recovered substantially as a result of these changes, and I think if you can incorporate any of these you are helping yourself. Diet, exercise, and abstaining from paranoia-wanking are the most important.

Hope that helps, don't give up on yourself.

Ciao

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
The stuff nohawk recommended will help with a lot of things... sometimes things like this are partly controlled by the mind.

I exercise, have a good diet, rarely drink, don't smoke, and I feel really healthy... the only thing I need to sort out if my sleep pattern (some days 5 hours, some days 10 hours!)

I know I was worried before I even popped the first Propecia tablet, and I felt my libido diminish slightly even then! Because of this, I honestly believe that a lot of the libido stuff is in the mind for many people... the internet is such a minefield of horror stories that it's easy to get it into your head that it's the pills, which will not help anyone.

Good luck everyone, hope your desire to shag comes back!

At the moment I am the most horny I have been for a long time... since I was a teenager in fact. I lost a little bit of my libido in the first week and I am only on week 2 and just want to hump everything!

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
This can't happen, it's all in your head. For more info, ask the expert, Exodus2011 who has never popped a pill of finasteride.

On a more serious note, I feel for you man. My libido is shot aswell. And stop with this "it's all in the mind" bullcrap. WTF, that's such bullshit. I guess the random ball-ache is all in the mind too? My mind is so powerful that it made my c*** bend!?

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ghg said:
And stop with this "it's all in the mind" bullcrap. WTF, that's such bullshit. I guess the random ball-ache is all in the mind too? My mind is so powerful that it made my c*** bend!?

Did you take a moment to read my entire post, or are you rejecting this notion based solely on principal? Do you disagree with the fact that libido is entirely perceived within the mind, and not by your penis? Also, erectile function is a response to triggers sent from your brain. I find it interesting that you insist the mind doesn’t play a role in any of this.

I believe that the rejection of this notion will severely hinder recovery for a lot of people suffering from persistent symptoms. As a very powerful example, I watched a show about a paraplegic gentleman who has absolutely no functioning below the waist. Over time, his mind was able to rewire itself to use one of his fingers as a surrogate penis, where he experienced similar sensation, had a healthy libido, and could even achieve orgasm with proper stimulation.

For a much more relevant example, take a look at the chart in this post, taken from a study done on finasteride. The mind is so powerful that even the mere suggestion of rare sexual side effects causes them to manifest in 5 times as many people than in a group who is not informed. That’s pretty powerful stuff.

In answer to your questions, yes your mind can absolutely cause random ball-aches. In the right conditions, your mind can cause severe pain anywhere in your body. Your mind can not cause Peyronie’s disease, but it is an extremely common condition occurring in up to 1 in 10 men. Finasteride has not yet been implicated in the development of this disease.

Again, I do not believe it is “all in the mind†(if you had read my post you would understand this) but I believe the symptoms can be managed and improved by realizing your mind plays a role. Recovery is impossible with the mindset of: “finasteride has permanently damaged my body and I won’t recover until someone finds a cureâ€. You may be waiting a long time for this. On the other hand, I believe that adopting a mindset of: “finasteride likely triggered these symptoms, but that doesn’t mean I can’t manage and improve them†is more conducive to recovery.

Attachments

• fin_nocebo.jpg
    fin_nocebo.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,486

nohawk

Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously the drug is strong enough on its own to chemically cause serious damage to ones libido and proper functioning of the dick.... but the mind can still play a significant role in either exacerbating the problem or aiding in its recovery. I doubt that the mind is RESPONSIBLE for ED problems related to finasteride, but yeah I agree that you can consciously either make matters worse for yourself or speed up your recovery.

On another more serious note, I have been trying to focus all my penile sensations away from my crotch and into my thumb. I chose my thumb primarily for its girth and my ability to mask boners by giving thumbs ups.

ProscarParanoia

Reaction score
I finally decided to give finasteride a try after extensive research on side effects, success rates, etc. I took it last tuesday (1/4 Proscar) and began showering with Naz, and applying minoxidil twice daily. Felt side effects right away. Penis is slightly numb, hard to maintain an full erection, difficulty with arousal (ie physical stimulation needed), slight ball ache. I thought I should wait this out, maybe the body was just getting used to it. Side effects have persisted. Today I masturbated but had to take the computer to the bathroom, never really had to do that before. It was difficult and not as enjoyable. Tried to masturbate again an hour ago (tying to see if i can do it again, it was never a problem before). Penis went soft, fail.

After a week of finasteride, I've decided to stop taking it. Im throwing all my pills away. I really dont want to risk it. I have a beautiful girlfriend who I love very much. To not be able to please her in bed would be a huge sense of inadequacy for me, an inadequacy that supersedes the thought of being bald. Too bad really, I really enjoy having nice thick hair. Oh well, not the end of the world. Ultimately a fairly trifling concern anyway, there are so many things to be grateful for in life; having good hair is pretty low on that list.

Really hope these side effects do not persist. Ill keep you guys updated. Cheers.

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
proscarred2 said:
Hello, I am desperately searching for answers for help or advice. I took Propecia for about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs, kind of off and on (months I couldn't afford). I have absolutely zero desire for sex now. Literally nothing at all turns me on any longer.

It has now been since Dec since I stopped taking Propecia due to the obvious lack of desire for sex, and searching for insight in such places as this informative forum, which I am thankful for. I found so many similar stories. And I am so afraid this is going to continue forever. It is causing a serious problem in my relationship. She is a very attractive woman and I know myself and I never had this issue previously and am 29 yrs old.

My question is, are there any people on this forum that have had any success whatsoever with whatever type of regimen in recovering from this. Or, is it something that may just continue forever?

I recently asked my doctor for some blood work to be done. They have a lab there that I'm supposed to get a discount with as a patient. But, he's an old timer D.O., which it shouldn't make a difference if he is DO or MD, but twice now I have followed up and they are supposed to call for an appointment.

Thank You

My Dr put me on T replacement. My t levels were low but not super low, yet I felt great for the first time in years. It is a serious thing not to be rushed into.

The downside was about 2-3weeks after treatment, I started losing hair. I was tempted to use finasteride again (like once a week) but will probably pass on it. Good luck.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
ProscarParanoia said:
I finally decided to give finasteride a try after extensive research on side effects, success rates, etc. I took it last tuesday (1/4 Proscar) and began showering with Naz, and applying minoxidil twice daily. Felt side effects right away. Penis is slightly numb, hard to maintain an full erection, difficulty with arousal (ie physical stimulation needed), slight ball ache. I thought I should wait this out, maybe the body was just getting used to it. Side effects have persisted. Today I masturbated but had to take the computer to the bathroom, never really had to do that before. It was difficult and not as enjoyable. Tried to masturbate again an hour ago (tying to see if i can do it again, it was never a problem before). Penis went soft, fail.

After a week of finasteride, I've decided to stop taking it. Im throwing all my pills away. I really dont want to risk it. I have a beautiful girlfriend who I love very much. To not be able to please her in bed would be a huge sense of inadequacy for me, an inadequacy that supersedes the thought of being bald. Too bad really, I really enjoy having nice thick hair. Oh well, not the end of the world. Ultimately a fairly trifling concern anyway, there are so many things to be grateful for in life; having good hair is pretty low on that list.

Really hope these side effects do not persist. Ill keep you guys updated. Cheers.

I had similar side effects in the first week.

I could hardly feel my penis and my orgasm was pretty pathetic. I just felt the "pressure" rather than anything else. If I am honest, it did scare me a little because I like my orgasms!

After the first week or so it started to get better and it's back to normal now.

However, the opposite side effect has happened to me and I have became really horny. I am putting this down - to my own illeducated assumption - that less of my testosterone is being converted to DHT so there's more to float around and keep me horny... or I just think I am.

It seems that for many people the side effects are temporary, but for some sad folks they're more permanent.

You might have success on just Minoxidil and Nizoral.

Cr@ig

Reaction score
Thats very sad to hear proscarred2 - I hope you recover soon.

So was the onset of the lack of sexual desire gradual or sudden?

Just out of pure curiosity did the Propecia you were taking before hand recover or help with your hairloss?

Either way its more than likely that if you lay off the pills for a 2-3 months you will recover.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Wuffer, although the mental aspect shouldn't be entirely ignored you also shouldn't overstate it.

These side effects, especially the post-finasteride crashes are unmistakably physical. Anyone who has had one will this. This is why some get so agitated when they see you write what you write. They go physically dead down below.

nohawk, please post your story at propeciahelp.com

TS, i strongly urge you to stay natural, take 50-100mg of zinc each day and try not to over-exert yourself while your body recovers.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thank You

This can't happen, it's all in your head. For more info, ask the expert, Exodus2011 who has never popped a pill of finasteride.

On a more serious note, I feel for you man. My libido is shot aswell. And stop with this "it's all in the mind" bullcrap. WTF, that's such bull****. I guess the random ball-ache is all in the mind too? My mind is so powerful that it made my c*** bend!?

To guys dealing with this, try this. I am not saying this is the cure but it worked for me the THREE times on and off finasteride. Could be coincidence but it could be true as well.
I also posted my T level blood results in my thread below.
Also take into consideration I am a fit person to begin with and eat VERY healthy.

I regularly Juice (fresh fruit and veggie juice not steroids)
I work out 3 to 4 times a week
Eat high protien and low fats etc etc

Start taking

L glutamine
L-Arginine
L-Citrulline
DHEA (high dose) - promotes testosterone development

Start including fresh RAW foods into your diet FREQUENTLY
ZINC (may or may not contribute)
Multi vitmans
Exercise..... WITH WEIGHTS. Weight training uses BUT increases production of testosterone. Cardio produces Estrogen production. Yes we are talking minor levels but do you want to chance it.

Also the mental aspect
Not to sound like a weirdo but you have to make yourself want it. Watch some p**rn, start putting yourself back into the same state of mind pre finasteride. Dont forget when you didnt have issues your prob masturbated and had sex often. In your head this was fun and felt good. You can forget that which can add to the mental problems of the libdo loss. Sounds wierd but try it. Dont think being with another person is the way to go ITS NOT. It will put pressure on you and if you fail to get results you will be in a worse boat than previous. Better to get back into the swing of things yourself.... pretend your back in your early teens.

My final piece of advice.... HOT HOT HOT baths and heat pads on the junk.
It helps, it really does. Get that blood back down there. I had AWFUL atrohpy, still do from time to time but using the heat gets the vessels opened up and blood pumping back down there. I use to sit in a HOT tub until things were loosened up and then literally sit there until I could get myself erect.

Am I 100% back to pre finasteride? No but getting there and at least my ED is gone (like can get right back into sex right after finishing) and my libido is back.

This is all from my research online and personal experience.

Best of luck (HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT!)

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cardio produces Estrogen production. Yes we are talking minor levels but do you want to chance it.

This is a myth. Estrogen levels can raise when someone starts to do cardio, but that's because fat cells contain estrogen, and when fat gets burned it is released into the system. It doesn't stimulate your body to create more estrogen.

The reason I want to stress this is because cardiovascular exercise that brings your heart rate up to a high level is the absolute best way to reap the countless benefits of exercise. Look up High Intensity Interval Training. Do this for a couple weeks and you will be an entirely new person.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a myth. Estrogen levels can raise when someone starts to do cardio, but that's because fat cells contain estrogen, and when fat gets burned it is released into the system. It doesn't stimulate your body to create more estrogen.

The reason I want to stress this is because cardiovascular exercise that brings your heart rate up to a high level is the absolute best way to reap the countless benefits of exercise. Look up High Intensity Interval Training. Do this for a couple weeks and you will be an entirely new person.

That makes sense. Still tho its putting estrogen into the system. I think Im more annoyed I used a form of the word "produce" twice so close together.

I do a form of HIIT on the eliptacal when at the gym. Also my super set weight workout is a smaller form of this. My post was simply to tell people things to try to help recover. Its what I did. I still did cardio but I dropped my long runs for a while. I think they were also putting pressure on that area hurting recovery. Then again too much weights can hurt that area. Just take all exercise with stride. Use this opportunity in you'r lives to have a reason to get in better shape.

I said my whole post wasn't from intense research and scientific reading just what I've learned and did myself to recover.

Ende

Reaction score
I just want to inform people with PFS that there's a new private forum, that's centered around blogging, research and experimental treatments. To maintain a certain quality, only people that have an account on propeciahelp.com will be accepted. You can register there first if you don't have an account, and then you're welcome to join SolvePFS.com

I hope that the moderators here will allow this post. I apologize if you don't.

propbh

Reaction score
I just posted a really long description of my experience in the antiandrogen forum http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ropecia-experience-(two-years-after-quitting)

The brief version is that in my last year of taking Propecia, as a 29 year old man, my libido crashed and I lost my ability to get a firm erection. A little over two years later, and I still have fairly severe ED. If I get aroused at all, it's never fully erect or firm. I'm otherwise healthy and in good physical shape. It's certainly better now than when I quit, but I'm losing hope that I'll ever fully recover. My practical advice is to get very good at cunnilingus.