Receding Hairline Advice? Weight Loss, Bad Barber, Or Just My Time?

Azza

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 27 year old male who has noticed in the last month or so my hairline has receded significantly.

I have never had the strongest hairline, but it's always been relatively okay/acceptable. Only recently has it become a significant issue. The rest of my hair is okayish, quite fine/thin but it's not an issue at all (for me at least). Just the hairline!

The reason for this could simply be because I'm 27 and it's now naturally "my time" for this to happen to me. But there are two recent events that I feel I should mention.

1.) Weight loss

In the last 5 months or so I've been trying to lose weight (diet only). I've managed to get from 16st 6lb to 13st, so I've lost 48 pounds in 5 months. I've read a lot about how significant weight loss and dieting can effect hair. Maybe I've not been getting the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients I need?

I have been taking a multivitamin tablet for 2 months now. It's Perfectil Original aimed at hair, skin and nails.

2.) Terrible barber
About a month ago I foolishly decided to try a random new barber and he was terrible. Think he must have been the work experience kid, and I'm convinced he is at least partly to blame for doing something/pushing my hairline back. Before visiting this new barber, I didn't have the same level of concern as I do now for my hairline. I only really noticed the problem after the visit.

Now the reason for my sudden receding hairline is unclear to me, it could be one of those two reasons (maybe both) or like I said it could just naturally be my time but I think it's a little too coincidental after the two things above?

What do you think? And what exactly can I do about it, if anything?

I decided to get the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo and give that a try, and I may decide to upgrade the mult-vitamin to Perfectil Max as I've heard good things. What would you reccomend?

ljb118

Reaction score
I'm not sure how a barber can push your hairline back - they can f*** up your hairline but it would grow back.

Alpecin caffeine shampoo is useless if you're losing hair.

Post some decent quality pics and you'll get a diagnosis soon enough!

Azza

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a barber can push your hairline back - they can f*** up your hairline but it would grow back.

Ok I genuinely didn't know this. I thought they could do irreversible damage to your hairline. How long would it take to grow back to its original state after the barber f*** up out of interest?

I'll try and get some high quality pics soon but in the meantime I've lifted these from google images to try and explain what I mean.

THIS is *close* to what my hairline was like about a month ago before I was concerned

1.jpg

and THIS is *quite close* to what it is now. it is significantly worse on one side

2.jpg

It may not seem like there is much difference in those two pics, but in my case there definitely it is. Very noticeable compared to before.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok I genuinely didn't know this. I thought they could do irreversible damage to your hairline. How long would it take to grow back to its original state after the barber f*** up out of interest?

I'll try and get some high quality pics soon but in the meantime I've lifted these from google images to try and explain what I mean.

THIS is *close* to what my hairline was like about a month ago before I was concerned

View attachment 100944

and THIS is *quite close* to what it is now. it is significantly worse on one side

View attachment 100945

It may not seem like there is much difference in those two pics, but in my case there definitely it is. Very noticeable compared to before.
Why don't you just take a picture of your actual hairline?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
dude lol, post pics of ur hairline. we cannot guess whats going on with ur hair

Azza

My Regimen
Reaction score
dude lol, post pics of ur hairline. we cannot guess whats going on with ur hair

I totally understand what youre saying but at the same time, i don't really want to lol. The pics I posted are pretty spot on. Was just after some general advice really not a full diagnosis

abcdefg

Reaction score
Your either not losing much hair like its not even male pattern baldness or you are going bald towards an eventual Norwood 6. If your going bald its the big 3 so cuddle up the risks involved, and do it. Your choices with male pattern baldness are surprisingly simple. Most answers are just variations on the previous ones from 10 years ago.
10 years ago we told people the big 3. Today its the big 3. Nothing is different but what we know about the big 3. Those are the risks. Take them or leave them along with your hair.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
I totally understand what youre saying but at the same time, i don't really want to lol. The pics I posted are pretty spot on. Was just after some general advice really not a full diagnosis

''general advice'' and you post a bible
dont expect advice

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your either not losing much hair like its not even male pattern baldness or you are going bald towards an eventual Norwood 6. If your going bald its the big 3 so cuddle up the risks involved, and do it. Your choices with male pattern baldness are surprisingly simple. Most answers are just variations on the previous ones from 10 years ago.
10 years ago we told people the big 3. Today its the big 3. Nothing is different but what we know about the big 3. Those are the risks. Take them or leave them along with your hair.

Ha, ain’t this the truth. We may as well be in 2008, current hair treatments wise.

chrismadsen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair can fall out after a sharp weight loss, nails can be layered, and teeth can deteriorate. I have seen a lot of guys and girls who have met with such side effects, and in many ways, the process is irreversible. I was losing weight because I gained a decent amount of weight while working in the office and didn't even notice it. To not severely limit food, especially vitamins and trace elements from food, I went to the gym and started taking supplements that helped me a lot. You can read on D-Bal Max reviews, and there is a complete description of the supplement. It did not cause hair to fall out, and there was no water retention in the body, and so on. I think it may also be hereditary. If one of the close relatives has a receding hairline, it could be transmitted.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 27 year old male who has noticed in the last month or so my hairline has receded significantly.

I have never had the strongest hairline, but it's always been relatively okay/acceptable. Only recently has it become a significant issue. The rest of my hair is okayish, quite fine/thin but it's not an issue at all (for me at least). Just the hairline!

The reason for this could simply be because I'm 27 and it's now naturally "my time" for this to happen to me. But there are two recent events that I feel I should mention.

1.) Weight loss
In the last 5 months or so I've been trying to lose weight (diet only). I've managed to get from 16st 6lb to 13st, so I've lost 48 pounds in 5 months. I've read a lot about how significant weight loss and dieting can effect hair. Maybe I've not been getting the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients I need?

I have been taking a multivitamin tablet for 2 months now. It's Perfectil Original aimed at hair, skin and nails.

2.) Terrible barber
About a month ago I foolishly decided to try a random new barber and he was terrible. Think he must have been the work experience kid, and I'm convinced he is at least partly to blame for doing something/pushing my hairline back. Before visiting this new barber, I didn't have the same level of concern as I do now for my hairline. I only really noticed the problem after the visit.

Now the reason for my sudden receding hairline is unclear to me, it could be one of those two reasons (maybe both) or like I said it could just naturally be my time but I think it's a little too coincidental after the two things above?

What do you think? And what exactly can I do about it, if anything?

I decided to get the Alpecin Caffeine Shampoo and give that a try, and I may decide to upgrade the mult-vitamin to Perfectil Max as I've heard good things. What would you reccomend?
My guess would be a combination of your weight loss (defnitely a culprit if you have been fasting) and possibly even multi vitamin if it has a large amount of something you personally reacted to. I'd also probably guess its not as bad as you think it is. I would'nt waste money on caffeine shampoo, from personal experience I'd buy some magnesium flakes or epsom salts and some dead sea salt, chuck a load in the bath for everything you wash your hair (if you only shower dilute some into a jug and use to wash hair with a very mild shampoo or no shampoo at all just water). Stop the multi vitamins and focus on a healthy diet. Exercise but don't overdo it. Lower inflammation (MSM, good diet) and mildly lower or control DHT (saw palmetto, red ginseng and AVOID steroids creatine protein powder etc).

What I've just described has been a god send for me.

I'm not berating the big 3, although none worked for me in the past and only made things worse. They do work to some degree for many people but far to early to jump on that without better assessing you hair loss over a longer term than 1 month.

Good luck