Read My Telogen Effluvium Recovery Story

Natalie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this day, and in fact I didn't think it would ever come when I was in the midst of my hair loss. I promised myself if ever I had some good news for people going through this that I would make sure I shared it - because I had searched for success stories when I was going through it and they were hard to come by. I don't think that was because success stories aren't out there - it's probably because people move on with their life.

A few years ago I had my first shed which lasted a good few months. I wasn't too concerned as it was my first shed and I put it down to possibly the change in seasons. Fast forward six months then came my second shed which lasted around 6 months and I lost about 50 percent of my hair. I knew then it was T.E and it consumed my life. Hair was everywhere every day, my pony tail became so thin and if I gently pulled at my hair, strands and strands would fall out. That was definitely my worst shed, it felt like it never ended and I was surprised that I had any hair left. I had a break from T.E then it started again a few months later, not for as long as the previous shed however again it consumed my life. Then again another break and another few months of shedding occurred. The density of my hair was half of what it was and I'm sure everyone can understand how distressing that is (especially when I didn't have a thick mane to begin with). I became obsessed with thinking about what I was going to do and if I was going to shave it off. When I put it in a pony tail not only was it thin but you could see parts of my scalp at the side where the hair was thinning so badly.

During those years I did so much research on what was happening. I went for tests at my GP however my thyroid, ferritin and iron levels were all great. I tried biotin however that bloated me out which made me feel worse. I meditated on my hair loss and I tried going shampoo free. I thought maybe it was stress however I couldn't pin point how my life was any more stressful than usual. Then one day I couldn't believe that I had missed a key event which I now understand is why I lost all of my hair. The month before I had my first shed, I came off the pill which I had been taking non stop for 15 years. I then found online many people who shared this story of coming off the pill and hair loss. Quite shockingly I also read that GP's had told people to go back on it to stop the hair loss (so continue taking the drug that caused this in the first place). I read that this actually made it worse for some. As I had taken the pill for so long, it took me a year to start having normal periods again. My hormones were all over the place and for the first time I was experiencing PMT as the pill had blocked this all out for so long. It has taken a few years for my hormones to settle down.

I have now had no hair loss for exactly 1 year and 1 month and my hormones have balanced out (it was about 3 years I had Telogen Effluvium for). My hair is not as thick as it was just yet as its not been long enough however it is definitely getting there for sure. I can particularly see that the sides of my hair are growing back which is where I experienced the main loss. I ended up having some highlights because they made my hair feel thicker also which helped me a little with my confidence. I have avoided the obvious like cheap shampoos such as treseme which I read can cause hair loss. I try to use paraben free shampoo as much as possible which you can buy from the natural health shops. In fact my boyfriend's hair is thicker because he has now been using it too. However the bottom line is that my Telogen Effluvium was due to my hormones and the impact of coming off the pill. I know this will not be the same for everyone however I did want to offer people going through this some hope that things can change and that a recovery is possible. Fingers crossed mine continues!

Jhair123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing your story. This gives me hope. It is true that it is hard to find stories and information online about Telogen Effluvium and hair loss. I found this video and the same girl has more good vids. They've helped me a lot, maybe they can help you too. Best of luck.

Sheri2352

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this day, and in fact I didn't think it would ever come when I was in the midst of my hair loss. I promised myself if ever I had some good news for people going through this that I would make sure I shared it - because I had searched for success stories when I was going through it and they were hard to come by. I don't think that was because success stories aren't out there - it's probably because people move on with their life.

A few years ago I had my first shed which lasted a good few months. I wasn't too concerned as it was my first shed and I put it down to possibly the change in seasons. Fast forward six months then came my second shed which lasted around 6 months and I lost about 50 percent of my hair. I knew then it was T.E and it consumed my life. Hair was everywhere every day, my pony tail became so thin and if I gently pulled at my hair, strands and strands would fall out. That was definitely my worst shed, it felt like it never ended and I was surprised that I had any hair left. I had a break from T.E then it started again a few months later, not for as long as the previous shed however again it consumed my life. Then again another break and another few months of shedding occurred. The density of my hair was half of what it was and I'm sure everyone can understand how distressing that is (especially when I didn't have a thick mane to begin with). I became obsessed with thinking about what I was going to do and if I was going to shave it off. When I put it in a pony tail not only was it thin but you could see parts of my scalp at the side where the hair was thinning so badly.

During those years I did so much research on what was happening. I went for tests at my GP however my thyroid, ferritin and iron levels were all great. I tried biotin however that bloated me out which made me feel worse. I meditated on my hair loss and I tried going shampoo free. I thought maybe it was stress however I couldn't pin point how my life was any more stressful than usual. Then one day I couldn't believe that I had missed a key event which I now understand is why I lost all of my hair. The month before I had my first shed, I came off the pill which I had been taking non stop for 15 years. I then found online many people who shared this story of coming off the pill and hair loss. Quite shockingly I also read that GP's had told people to go back on it to stop the hair loss (so continue taking the drug that caused this in the first place). I read that this actually made it worse for some. As I had taken the pill for so long, it took me a year to start having normal periods again. My hormones were all over the place and for the first time I was experiencing PMT as the pill had blocked this all out for so long. It has taken a few years for my hormones to settle down.

I have now had no hair loss for exactly 1 year and 1 month and my hormones have balanced out (it was about 3 years I had Telogen Effluvium for). My hair is not as thick as it was just yet as its not been long enough however it is definitely getting there for sure. I can particularly see that the sides of my hair are growing back which is where I experienced the main loss. I ended up having some highlights because they made my hair feel thicker also which helped me a little with my confidence. I have avoided the obvious like cheap shampoos such as treseme which I read can cause hair loss. I try to use paraben free shampoo as much as possible which you can buy from the natural health shops. In fact my boyfriend's hair is thicker because he has now been using it too. However the bottom line is that my Telogen Effluvium was due to my hormones and the impact of coming off the pill. I know this will not be the same for everyone however I did want to offer people going through this some hope that things can change and that a recovery is possible. Fingers crossed mine continues!

Thanks for sharing...your hair loss sounds extremely similar to mine except that I recognized that I had come off b/c when mine started and so I went back on it after a few months. It’s been well over a year now and my hair loss just keeps getting worse. I’m not sure if the hormone chafing triggered it and now there’s no stopping it or if it was even the reason it started. I just started taking viviscal (still on b/c as well) and I’m extremely hopeful

Sheri

Natalie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing your story. This gives me hope. It is true that it is hard to find stories and information online about Telogen Effluvium and hair loss. I found this video and the same girl has more good vids. They've helped me a lot, maybe they can help you too. Best of luck.
Thank you so much for sharing this video - I didn't think to look for any videos when I was going through it x

Natalie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing...your hair loss sounds extremely similar to mine except that I recognized that I had come off b/c when mine started and so I went back on it after a few months. It’s been well over a year now and my hair loss just keeps getting worse. I’m not sure if the hormone chafing triggered it and now there’s no stopping it or if it was even the reason it started. I just started taking viviscal (still on b/c as well) and I’m extremely hopeful

Sheri
It sounds similar to mine in that it's related to birth control and mine took a few years to go back to normal - it got worse before it got any better. I'm sure yours will to. Sending you lots of love as your hair heals :)

Sissi

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello Natalie,
Thank you for sharing your story.
So in order to stop Telogen Effluvium did you start again the BC pill or not?

Natalie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Natalie,
Thank you for sharing your story.
So in order to stop Telogen Effluvium did you start again the BC pill or not?

Hi there - so sorry I have only got back to this. No I came off the pill completely as I had read from others that going back on it didn't stop it - it confused the hormones further. Maybe it would still settle down though after going back on it, I don't know. I just didn't want to continue taking something that caused hair loss if I came off it. I also was chatting to a female doctor socially a few weeks back - I said to her what happened and without me saying she said 'oh yes that's telogen effluvium due to the hormonal reaction from coming off the pill'. If only my first GP told me that it would've saved me a lot of anxiety between the time it took me to figure out what it was. It took time for me to start having normal periods again, extreme PMT to subside, to eventually my hair stopping falling out. I'm very confident that the pill caused all of that. 3 months after my original post, still no hair loss so I'm really hoping that's it now and its been nearly a year and a half!

Let me know if you have any more questions x

Lindz1190

My Regimen
Reaction score

i am not sure if I am replying to this right but I just wanted to say that I am having the same problem I stopped b/c January/2018 and have had hair loss since and it is worsening ... it is just so upsetting and I don’t know what to do ... I have checked my iron I have checked my thyroid ... my hair falls out with every brushing, shampooing , slightly pulling on the strands .not to mention since going off my birth control my periods have been crazy irregular... this last cycle was 50 days!!!
.. I was so happy to see that someone else went through the same thing I am ... everything you talked about was similar to my situation.... thank you ... you’ve given me hope that this will end ...

Natalie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
i am not sure if I am replying to this right but I just wanted to say that I am having the same problem I stopped b/c January/2018 and have had hair loss since and it is worsening ... it is just so upsetting and I don’t know what to do ... I have checked my iron I have checked my thyroid ... my hair falls out with every brushing, shampooing , slightly pulling on the strands .not to mention since going off my birth control my periods have been crazy irregular... this last cycle was 50 days!!!
.. I was so happy to see that someone else went through the same thing I am ... everything you talked about was similar to my situation.... thank you ... you’ve given me hope that this will end ...

Natalie123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. It sounds exactly the same as what happened to me. My cycles were about that (if not longer) but after a year or so they resumed back to normal (I'm 36 by the way). I remember looking back that I also felt even worse about my hair loss when I came on my period because I was experiencing PMT for the first time.

Keep hanging in there - it may be a long road ahead but you'll get there just like I have - you've already done a year so keep going and let your body heal (that's all it's doing, remember that). My first few sheds were the worst (soooo much loss) - they lasted on and off for about 18 months. After that they became less servere until eventually nothing.

Be kind to yourself and if you have any more questions or just want to rant, this is a good place for it x

Lindz1190

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much! This means a lot I am so relieved to hear this ... and yes I was on the pill for ten years! So yes I am sure my body is very confused ...