Quitting Propecia After Long Term Use - Please Share Your Experiences

yourworld001

Established Member
Reaction score
Progress Report 3 - 5 March 2017

History

Cut propecia from 1 mg daily to 0.25 mg daily on 7 Jan 2017 (8 weeks ago)

Changed dosage to 0.5 mg every other day (M, W, F, S) (started this on 6 Feb 2017)

Started using Regenepure twice a week for 2 weeks and increased it to 3 times a week for past 6 weeks.

Experience

I can now confirm that the loss of hair has increased even further when i am on 0.5 mg propecia every other day (M, W, F, S). From 3-10 strands during the shower every day, it increased to between 45-55 strands daily. And the hair is thick, long hair from my crown.

Observations

(1) When i changed the dosage to 0.5 mg every other day (M, W, F, S), i felt my libido and ejaculate did decrease.

(2) There is some commentary that taking propecia every other day can mess around with the effect of DHT on your hair and this may result in an increase in hair loss. That is certainly the case for me.

(3) There was also some commentary that due to the half life of finasteride, a 0.5 mg dose should not allow the DHT to creep back within a day (i.e. a dose every other day should have the same effect as taking it daily) - again, that is not my experience. For me, the hair loss was more when i did 0.5 mg every other day as opposed to 0.25 mg daily. I think it is very individualistic so you need to try it for yourself. You cant really depend on advice from others.

(4) Regenepure - i have recently changed the method of application of the Regenpure shampoo. I notice a lot more hair loss when i use that shampoo as opposed to the days when i use my normal shampoo. I cant decide if this is an initial shed (which some people reported going through) or if the shampoo is simply unsuitable for me. Anyone with experience, please provide some advice. I am quite nervous about the hairloss caused by that shampoo.

(5) For those trying out these new experiments, i would suggest that you do it very slowly - 1 change at a time - so that you can accurately isolate what works and what does not. My changes in the Finasteride doses, along with Regenepure and change in minoxidil brand leave me a bit confused at times as to what is working and what is not working.

Next Steps

From tomorrow, i am changing my Finsteride dosage to 1/3 pill daily. I was hoping not to make finasteride a daily thing, given its many ill effects; but it appears i dont have a choice if i want to keep my hair.

I will update in a month how that is working.

Previous & Current regimes

Jan 2017

(a) Minoxidil 5%, 1 ml twice a day

(b) propecia 0.25 mg daily

(c) Regenepre shampoo - W, S

I.e. 1.75 mg Finasteride / week

Feb 2017

(a) Minoxidil 5%, 1.5 ml twice a day (I increased it from 1 ml twice daily in hopes that it will help with hair regrowth - I read on other forums that other users have experienced better results with more/higher concentration of minoxidil)

(b) propecia 0.5 mg - M, W, F, S

(c) Regenepre shampoo - T, T, S

I.e. 2 mg Finasteride / week

New Regime

Mar 2017

(a) Minoxidil 5%, 1.5 ml twice a day

(b) propecia 1/3 pill (approx) i..e 0.35 mg daily

(c) Regenepre shampoo - T, T, S

I.e. 2.33 mg Finasteride / week

Comments, advice, experiences welcome!

How are you doing now?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Finasteride has no real substitute though or people would be using that and not finasteride. Id try to stay with it if you value your hair still unless the trade off isnt worth it anymore to you.
Finasteride can stop male pattern baldness in some men, but you still have a good amount of DHT left so dutasteride is probably more effective.
You can use 20 different things like shampoos, and whatever else but nothing today can come close to replacing propecia. You just need it still or just accept male pattern baldness the choice is that simple. You are okay with male pattern baldness and not the sides or you deal with possible sides but your hair is thankful.

Seyed

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys Ive been having watery semen, it worried me. Ive been using for 7 years. I want to know how to proceed that have less side effects and also my hair at the same time !