Quitting Propecia After Long Term Use - Please Share Your Experiences

RS85

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a healthy 31 year old male. I have been on propecia for a good 9 years. It has worked well for me and helped slow down hair loss quite drastically (although not completely - that is not possible). But it has definitely prevented me from going bald.

My regime right now is as follows:

(1) 1 mg propoecia daily (reduced last week to 0.25 mg daily)
(2) 1 ml monoxidil 5% - twice a day

When i started propecia, i did experience a drop in libido, but it wasnt too significant and i could easily live with it. I was fine for many years but the side effects slowly crept up on me. I experienced more loss in libido and significantly reduced semen after orgasm. The semen was also very watery. I also completely lost the morning hard on (this happened over the years - i didnt have this problem the first few years when i was using finasteride).

I attributed this to watching too much p**rn, bad lifestyle, significant decrease in exercise, stress, lack of sleep, too much fapping, too much alcohol, etc.

The revelation came when i tried to do the no-fap thing and gave up alcohol as well. Still no morning hard on and no spontaneous hard on anytime during the day, ever even when i did not fap for 15 days continuously.

I had never before expected that this could be because of finasteride. Propecia had been "sold" to me as an effective drug with no side effects (or very minor ones for a small percentage of men) and no long term use effects. Plus i was told that over time, the side effects will get less, NOT MORE. So it was quite a shock to see the opposite in my case and to read about Post Finasteride Syndrome, etc.

Having read up a bit on this topic, i am now considering giving up finasteride for the long term benefit of my health. It would be really helpful if everyone can share their experiences after giving up finasteride (which they have been using long term).

I am still desperate to keep my hair (cant watch it going away after fighting so hard for it for 10 years!).

My questions are as follows:

Question 1:

Did those who gave up finasteride experience PFS and if so, did it go away after a while? Any tips on how to wean off the drug?

Question 2:

After giving up finasteride, did you keep your hair or did you see a significant amount of them fall off? What did you do to maintain your hair and did it work? Any recommendations on how to sustitute finasteride successfully?

Question 3:

I have for the first time today washed my hair with Regenpure Dr and i intend to use it twice a week now as a semi-replacement to the finasteride. I have also reduced my finasteride (since last week) from 1 mg daily to 0.25 mg daily. I read that this is ok as it should not affect the dht reduction level. I am planning to phase out finasteride as follows:

(1) 0.25 mg daily (for a month)
(2) 0.25 mg every other day (for a month)
(3) 0.25 mg every 3rd day (for a month)

---> monitor progress and see effects and decide whether to continue finasteride at 0.25mg E3D or to give it up completely.

Has anyone taken finasteride at these intervals before? If so, did your side effects go away? Did you manage to keep your hair long term with this usage of finasteride but every other day or E3D (i would think 0.25 mg once every 3 days is much better than 1 mg daily - i would like to keep up this pattern if it is sustainable and the side effects go away).

Question 4:

Based on your experience or your reading up, which would you recommend to maintain my hair?

OPTION 1

(1) 0.25 mg propoecia every other day or even E3D
(3) Regenepure dr twice a week

or

OPTION 2

(1) 1 ml monoxidil 5% - twice a day
(2) Regenepure dr twice a week
(3) What else can i add in which is topical and would help reduce dht??

Sorry this turned out to be a bit long but i a really nervous about giving up finasteride and any experiences you could share would be most welcome.

Thanks guys! Look forward to hearing from you. Happy to share my progress in the future. If you have questions about using finasteride, do feel free to PM me and i will reply.

Last edited:

shulk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Still no morning hard on and no spontaneous hard on anytime during the day"
And that bothers you because?

"significantly reduced semen after orgasm. The semen was also very watery. "
That is the trade you make, which a lot of users accept, including myself.

"I experienced more loss in libido"
That is the only one that i would view as problematic. Is it to be attributed to finasteride though an not to aging?

Regenepure can not be even be compared to Finasteride, there is no alternative that would not mess with internal DHT.
I hope you experience less side effects on the 0.25mg dose, my guess would be; no finasteride= no hair.

Greetings

br1

Reaction score
i'll be short.

used finasteride for around 15yrs. no problems. same hair during the entire time.
thought finasteride wasn't doing much after all (my bro was not taking, and was/is a full hair).

I quit (cold turkey). First 2 months, wonderful. Only then I realized how great DHT is. My sex / orgasms / erections went from 100% (never had problems while on finasteride) to 300%..Energy too, and I had the impression I could get lean VERY easily.
But after 2 months, my hair started to thin like crazy, it became very clear that I was balding. I don't know if I would re-grow this hair. But decided not take any chances..

Went back to finasteride (and added minoxidil on temples).

Now I am 11 months after I restarted finasteride. My hair looks normal again. But now I fear treatment may fail..even though things seem to be improving. I shed a bit everyday (like from 10 to 20 hairs after I shower - don't know how many during the shower).

It sucks..

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey @RS85 , congrats on your success this far, but unfortunately without finasteride you will most likely continue to lose hair. Maybe reduce the dosage if you have sides, but sometimes when people do this they notice increased hair loss. If the side effects aren't enough to really bother you then stay with it if you value your hair.

Do you mind being more specific with how your hair has been over these 9 years on finasteride? How was it when you started and how is it now? Did you notice improvements over those 9 years? I have been on it for 2.5 years and never understood why people say their hair loss was not stopped on finasteride because I haven't lost anything and have actually had some improvements.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
i'll be short.

used finasteride for around 15yrs. no problems. same hair during the entire time.
thought finasteride wasn't doing much after all (my bro was not taking, and was/is a full hair).

I quit (cold turkey). First 2 months, wonderful. Only then I realized how great DHT is. My sex / orgasms / erections went from 100% (never had problems while on finasteride) to 300%..Energy too, and I had the impression I could get lean VERY easily.
But after 2 months, my hair started to thin like crazy, it became very clear that I was balding. I don't know if I would re-grow this hair. But decided not take any chances..

Went back to finasteride (and added minoxidil on temples).

Now I am 11 months after I restarted finasteride. My hair looks normal again. But now I fear treatment may fail..even though things seem to be improving. I shed a bit everyday (like from 10 to 20 hairs after I shower - don't know how many during the shower).

It sucks..

so after realizing the benefit of dht, you would still rather go back to feeling shittier all round, to get your hair back? you must be nuts man. most guys who appreciate how amazing it feels to feel normal again, to be full of life, couldnt care less about their hair anymore. at least not nearly as much anyway

RS85

My Regimen
Reaction score
@shulk :

"Still no morning hard on and no spontaneous hard on anytime during the day"
And that bothers you because?

RS: It shows that the finasteride is affecting my libido significantly - this was not a problem for me the first few years that i was using it. And it feels weird and unnatural.

"significantly reduced semen after orgasm. The semen was also very watery. "
That is the trade you make, which a lot of users accept, including myself.

RS: Does this affect sperm quality? Would it affect the chances of becoming a father?

"I experienced more loss in libido"
That is the only one that i would view as problematic. Is it to be attributed to finasteride though an not to aging?

RS: I doubt its due to aging. I am only 31 and the loss in libido is significant. Friends in my age bracket dont go at it like rabbits anymore but are certainly very active sexually. In my case though, the desire is seriously diminishing.

Regenepure can not be even be compared to Finasteride, there is no alternative that would not mess with internal DHT.
I hope you experience less side effects on the 0.25mg dose, my guess would be; no finasteride= no hair.

RS: Thanks, will report back on how it goes. As if side effects are not bad enough to deal with, we also have to deal with a potential PFS situation - a lot of guys dont get it while they are on the drug but get it once they go off it. Scary!

@br1 :

Thanks for sharing. I think it will take time for the drug to even out and for the hair loss to reduce completely. 10-20 hair is not too bad. I experience that every now and then too. Could it be due to your lifestyle changes or aging? I think the most important thing is your hair looks ok now and you do not appear to be balding. A few questions for you if you dont mind:

(1) How old are you?
(2) Now that you have restarted finasteride, what are your side effects like? Has you increased sex drive gone down again? Energy? Do you feel fatigue? I have been experiencing a lot of fatigue of late and i suspect it could be a finasteride side effect.
(3) What was your regime when you stopped finasteride? Did you use minoxidil or other products to control hair loss and "substitute" finasteride?

@jetlife1 :

Thanks for the input. The sides are definitely affecting my quality of life and I have reduced my dosage to 0.25 mg daily as of last week and plan to reduce further as follows:

(1) 0.25 mg daily (for a month)
(2) 0.25 mg every other day (for a month)
(3) 0.25 mg every 3rd day (for a month)

You are right that this may result in increased hair loss. I am monitoring and will report back. As of now, after 1 week of 0.25 mg, i have not seen any reduction in my side effects. I am also going to ramp up exercising regularly (daily) and sleep earlier to see if this helps with the sides. I have given up alcohol (except for the occasional glass of wine once every 1-2 months) and am hoping that also helps in the hair loss (doing the whole healthy living thing).

Have you personally reduced your dosage and has that impacted your side effects or your hair loss?

My hair loss experience

So when i started out (age: 22, year: 2008), i had a full head of hair but it was thinning and dropping rapidly. I noticed the massive amount of hair clogging the shower drain and on the pillow every morning and i freaked out. I wanted to pre-empt and "arrest" the problem before i went noticeably bald. That's when i went to see the doctors and they started me on my current regime which i follow till date:

(1) 1 mg propoecia daily (reduced last week to 0.25 mg daily)

As the drugs took effect, my hair loss decreased significantly - for the bulk of the time, i was very regular on the drugs and i had almost no hair loss - like the regular 1-3 strands (or not even that) when you wash your hair in the morning. However, these drugs never helped me grow new hair. They just helped me reduce and control my hair loss. As i had a relatively full head of hair when i started the drugs, and thanks to the drugs i had reduced loss of that hair, i was satisfied.

Besides the lifestyle changes that i described above - i went from a student/active/free lifestyle to a working stressed-out, executive lifestyle - i.e. significant drop in exercise and activity level, increased intake of alcohol, lack of sleep, work stress, bad eating habits, significantly increased p**rn intake and fapping, etc, I noticed that my usage of minoxidil significantly affected my hair loss.

There was time when i was irregular with the minoxidil and applied it maybe 1 time a day (as opposed to my regular twice a day) and skipped weekends - and i experienced increased hair loss. I thought that since i was taking propecia, minoxidil wasn't doing anything and wasn't necessary - i was wrong.

Recently, i started a hair loss treatment with a clinic where they substituted my minoxidil regime with theirs - they gave me 5% minoxidil mixed with an agent that would increase absorption on the scalp by 3 times (so they claimed). I only needed to apply this solution (2 ml together) once every evening and i could stop applying it in the morning. Again, very shortly into this program, i started experiencing massive hair loss. I only got it under control when i started using my own minoxidil in the morning and the clinic one in the evening. [Damn, i wish i hadn't been conned by the clinic. Paid quite a bit and lost hair instead of gaining them!]

As of now, my hair has definitely thinned on the crown but not at the sides. I know giving up finasteride might affect the crown and am nervous about that - but i need to do something about the sides too. I am hoping a reduced dosage of propecia, along with a more active lifestyle, will help me keep my hair (i have no hope of growing new hair, just want to keep what i have) and reduce sides so that i can lead a normal lifestyle. I am also worried about the long term effect of the drug, hence the reduced dosage will give me some peace of mind (0.25 mg 3-4 times a week is still better than 1 mg daily, i would think. If nothing else, at least i am reducing the artificial chemicals ingested in my body).

I hope the info above helps those reading it to analyse their own hair loss pattern or the factors that affect the hair loss.

For who have reduced their finasteride dosage, please do share how that affects your hair loss and whether it does decrease the side effects. There are claims that 0.2 mg finasteride daily has the same effect as 1 mg finasteride daily so there should be no decrease in the side effects. Would love to hear from those who have done it and can share their experiences with a reduced dosage.

br1

Reaction score
Just want to share something else:

when I quit finasteride (2 weeks after), I started getting morning woods like every single day. Hard rock ones. After resuming finasteride, they were pretty much gone. Today (11 months after restarting), I get them every now and then.. Not every day, but I would say 3 or 4 times per week. Not something that concerns me though.. Just wanted to share.

Beard growth had slowed down substantially too.. Off finasteride, I had to shave every couple of days. Now, I can shave once every 2 weeks...

Reactions: Btg

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have to say coming off finasteride is the best thing i did for libido but not for hair. Still receeding hairline but at least i got my manhood back lol. Had only been on it for a cpl weeks and immediate side effecrs :/

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have to say coming off finasteride is the best thing i did for libido but not for hair. Still receeding hairline but at least i got my manhood back lol. Had only been on it for a cpl weeks and immediate side effecrs :/
how long did u took it and when u started noticing sides

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Proba
how long did u took it and when u started noticing sides
Probably a week or so but the side effects were literally within 1-2 days. Could not get an org**m. Scared the sh** out of me and threw thr rest of it in bin. Recovered since (phew).

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Proba

Probably a week or so but the side effects were literally within 1-2 days. Could not get an org**m. Scared the sh** out of me and threw thr rest of it in bin. Recovered since (phew).
glad that u recoverd.
how old are u i am 25 i took ir for 3 days got sides so i stopped now 7 weeks after i am 90% recoverd i don't think that 10% will add up cuz i am always afraid to masterbate now and thinking what my orgasm gona feel or how much my semen but I hope to recover considering my dht and total t are lh are high as f*** only free test at range but my shbg is in range too

Wanheda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
glad that u recoverd.
how old are u i am 25 i took ir for 3 days got sides so i stopped now 7 weeks after i am 90% recoverd i don't think that 10% will add up cuz i am always afraid to masterbate now and thinking what my orgasm gona feel or how much my semen but I hope to recover considering my dht and total t are lh are high as f*** only free test at range but my shbg is in range too
Right now Im 37 years old and I was still within 1-2 weeks since starting yet just like you i was afraid to masterbate for the same reasons...watery and no sensation. I thought to myself 'is this even worth it'? Then I decided to quit...

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Right now Im 37 years old and I was still within 1-2 weeks since starting yet just like you i was afraid to masterbate for the same reasons...watery and no sensation. I thought to myself 'is this even worth it'? Then I decided to quit...
but i am 7 weeks after that is it in my head? i am still a virgin could that be it?

Valiant

Established Member
Reaction score
RS85,

When I quit Propecia, my HPTA did not adjust and my testosterone dropped to 223 ng/ml. I was hypogonadal and had all the symptoms of PFS. The thing is, I took Propecia for six or seven years without any noticeable side effects. I would recommend that you quit very slowly, tapering dose down and then skipping days. It might take you several months to completely wean off but there's no reason to quit cold turkey because you're not having acute side effects.

Val

Valiant

Established Member
Reaction score
PS, to Ahmed Wolf,

I think the best thing for you to pick up that last 10% of your recovery is to get on with your life and not to worry too much more. If you took three doses of finasteride and you've recovered 90 percent, it seems that the rest of it is anxiety. I hope you don't find my comment offensive but you're probably back to 100 percent and you're holding yourself back worrying.

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PS, to Ahmed Wolf,

I think the best thing for you to pick up that last 10% of your recovery is to get on with your life and not to worry too much more. If you took three doses of finasteride and you've recovered 90 percent, it seems that the rest of it is anxiety. I hope you don't find my comment offensive but you're probably back to 100 percent and you're holding yourself back worrying.
thanx for ir help and concern man.
i dont find ur comment offensive not at all cuz its the truth i am always super paranoid when it comes to health thats y i let the good years pass me as a teenager lock myself in the gym since i was 16 years old didn't party with my friends never smoked or drinked neven had sex cuz of religious reasons but all my friends where living there teens even when i was computing in bodybuilding i did 2 steroid cycles under a doctor supervision when i was 23 and thats what started my hair loss dht levels were high as f*** even after pct lol