Questions for weight lifting/fitness freaks.

thicker

Reaction score
weight lifting.cholosteral meds

Has anybody on this forum noticed hair loss after lifting weights. I just started lifting hard 3 months ago. I have been on propecia for 2 years with good results. Within the last 3 months I have started to lose hair again. I'm trying to figure out if it's because I started working out. The only other factor I can think of is that I have been on 3 different cholesteral medications in the last 3 months. Maybe these have an effect? Anyone know?

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
i cant believe there are people on here plugging the bowflex...have you ever used one?...if you have worked out at a gym and worked out on a bowflex you know the bowflex is horrid...i made the huge mistake of buying one in dec 02 and THEN joining a gym after watching it collect dust for a couple months :lol:

secondly, my personal opinion...you can read all the articles that bruce has posted but ultimately its just a matter of determination and working your *** off...personally i dont care for having the ability to pull myself up with one finger...and i know have gained muscle mass with high reps...everyones bodies and desires are different...so how can anyone possibly begin to a write and article thinking its the end all and be all?? i have only begun to see huge gains in my arms because of high reps...your body is different from everyone elses so you have to find out whats best for you...just like hairloss treatments

I have gained 38 pounds of muscle since starting in June of 03 and Im very proud of that...if you're serious about this...dont half *** it...join and gym and do it right

attachment.php

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Actually i most comment on the bowflex being horrid thiing...its not at least not for me.I own a crossbow(works just like a bowflex)and i have only been workin out now for around 4 to 5 months now and i have gained about 15 lbs..Also the crossbow has been good at buildin lean muscle for me,so i guess if your not lookin for the"model look"and your lookin for the "bodybuilder look"then that product might not be good and a gym membership might be better.

G

HairyN said:
i cant believe there are people on here plugging the bowflex...have you ever used one?...if you have worked out at a gym and worked out on a bowflex you know the bowflex is horrid...i made the huge mistake of buying one in dec 02 and THEN joining a gym after watching it collect dust for a couple months :lol:

secondly, my personal opinion...you can read all the articles that bruce has posted but ultimately its just a matter of determination and working your *** off...personally i dont care for having the ability to pull myself up with one finger...and i know have gained muscle mass with high reps...everyones bodies and desires are different...so how can anyone possibly begin to a write and article thinking its the end all and be all?? i have only begun to see huge gains in my arms because of high reps...your body is different from everyone elses so you have to find out whats best for you...just like hairloss treatments

I have gained 38 pounds of muscle since starting in June of 03 and Im very proud of that...if you're serious about this...dont half *** it...join and gym and do it right

attachment.php

Well, all have opinions! You don't like Bowflex and I do. Fine, but my muscles seem to like it just fine. You like gyms, I don't. Since you gained muscle there, that must work also.

Re: High reps, no one has indicated that you can't gain muscle mass with higher reps. Actually, we are really talking about time under tension, not reps, which factors in rep speed. If you reach a certain threshhold, your muscles respond with gains in mass.

Regarding your statement that it is all individual, yes and no. Certainly there is biovariability! But as an example, say you wanted to gain awesome strength in order to say, lift a huge weight overhead for a one rep maximum.

I would wager that you cannot optimize your results by using a 15 reps scheme. It is well established that muscles must be trained a particular way to optimize to the result you want.

So, that is why you wont see successful strength athletes using high rep schemes.

Make sense?

PS-did I mention that I hate gyms?

G

blue said:
Actually i most comment on the bowflex being horrid thiing...its not at least not for me.I own a crossbow(works just like a bowflex)and i have only been workin out now for around 4 to 5 months now and i have gained about 15 lbs..Also the crossbow has been good at buildin lean muscle for me,so i guess if your not lookin for the"model look"and your lookin for the "bodybuilder look"then that product might not be good and a gym membership might be better.

Well, a gym membership gets you into the gym. Then you have to work your muscles, which are pretty dumb bunnies. They don't know where the hell the resistance is coming from, just that it there.

As far as working your *** off, well that is open to debate. Don't you need your *** to sit on??

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thats another thing abouts gyms...i hate the fact that you have to go there lol sounds stupid but i like walkin five feet from where im at right now and workin out.plus that resistence thing you taked about bruce...your 100%correct on that.I went to a gym for around 2 months and not only havin seen any results i felt like sh*t...my muscles would hurt and it just was something i didnt like but with this crossbow i feel great after doing it plus my muscles dont hurt they burn and that feels great to.I also love how i use my stabalizer muscles rather then havin a machine do it for me .

G

blue said:
thats another thing abouts gyms...i hate the fact that you have to go there lol sounds stupid but i like walkin five feet from where im at right now and workin out.plus that resistence thing you taked about bruce...your 100%correct on that.I went to a gym for around 2 months and not only havin seen any results i felt like sh*t...my muscles would hurt and it just was something i didnt like but with this crossbow i feel great after doing it plus my muscles dont hurt they burn and that feels great to.I also love how i use my stabalizer muscles rather then havin a machine do it for me .

Indeed, one of the very nice attributes of the BOW machines is the articulation around the joints that they allow.

I am a fan!!

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
blue said:

There are a range of options in the gym, take mine for example, there is a multitude of cardio classes and machines, kung-fu, karate and capoeira. There are pump classes, yoga, pilates, tai chi and boxing sessions which I help to direct once a week.

Beyond that there machines for the muscles as well as a wide array of free weights.

I use the latter for 90% of my muscle work as with compound movements, even with isolation movements free weights are using stabiliser muscles.

If you look at the variety of options for you at a gym, how can you dismiss it. If you went to the gym for 2 months and saw no results firstly you must understand that quality muscle takes time to build and secondly even after a short period like 2 months you will have gained some strength and the beginnings of some good muscle. You must be poorly educated on exercises and diet which are critical to progress. The fault that you have no gains is not of the gym but of your failure to exercise correctly and diet properly.

If you wish to use a bow and it works for you great, but to truly realise your potential and make use of all your muscles, get to the gym..

Im going right now, and after a damn good workout, a nice sauna.

G

"If you wish to use a bow and it works for you great, but to truly realise your potential and make use of all your muscles, get to the gym.. "

Maybe yes, maybe no. No one NEEDS a gym and it can be useful for some.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im sorry Wheresmyhair

im sorry we want different things all im lookin for is a bigger chest and bigger arms and im getting that with what i have at home. i didnt dismiss the gym.All im sayin is that i like what i have better.Its more convenient.
Also whats this about potential?i dont give a sh*t about that.Im not trying out for any sport im workin out because all i want is to look good naked.
Im not trying to look like arnold or anything im trying to get lean like a model and im accomplishing that.I love how everyone just"assumes"things.Thats weird to me.
Like i pointed out before im sorry we want different things but dont assume.I get tired of people comparing me to themselves.

wheresmyhair

Reaction score
Blue,

I am not assuming anything, you made the statements about being at the gym and not gaining anything after 2 months. I know of many people who have done extremely well at the gym after as little as 2 months and after the first month did not complain of major ROMS as an educated routine and diet took care of that. With the amount of exercises available free weight and machine it makes great sense to join. You can easily work stabiliser muscles.

If your only goal is to look good naked then, I apologise for stating the wide variety of activities available at the gym. In reaching your potential I am only meaning that what ever goal you set for yourself in terms of fitness and physical appearance, in my opinion the gym is the best place to reach these goals and set new ones, no matter what they are. To look like Arnie or look like a CK model.

And by no means am I comparing yourself to me, I am a boxer the gym is my temple. To look good physically goes hand in hand with boxing, you only want to look good as a goal, because I box that jobs taken care of for me.

Our goals differ and that is fine , but the gym gives so many options it just makes sense.

Anyways without your hair none of that matters...good luck to all and hopefully blue you will look good naked.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wheresmyhair

i do agree that a gym would be a very sound idea to go for makin your body look better and maybe the best and i do agree that maybe i wasnt eatin right when i went to the gym the first time for a couple months but what i have no im happy with.

Also i can tell your very loyal to the gym and its potential and i respect that.

Im just sayin the gym although a very good idea is inconvienent to me and i might add that to be honest before i started workin out i was pretty skinny and was imbarrassed to walk into that gym so i took the path less traveled and got me a crossbow.
we are both happy and thats all that really matters besides the hairloss thing.