Question Regarding Telogen Effluvium

AnaK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

A month ago, I was diagnosed with Telogen Effluvium after getting a biopsy and finally getting results back. While it did sort of help me to cope, I have been noticing some weird things about m regrowth. My shedding has slowed down a bit now, but the new hair that is coming out is just strange in texture. It is visibly thinner compared to my older hair strands, and sometimes it falls out too. I have been reading up, and some say Telogen Effluvium can trigger genetic hair loss which can explain thinner regrowth hairs.

My question is if anyone who had Telogen Effluvium, do you remember how your regrowth hair looked like? Should I go back to my dermatologist?

Thank you!

priyanka j

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, Telogen effluvium is the hair fall pattern where you lose a substantial amount of hair. Sometimes it is temporary and recovered on your own in a span of 6 months. Stop stressing out, eat healthily. Don't tie up wet hair. Use aloe and ginger, blended and strained, made into a juice, right at the roots, as often as possible. If these don’t work, try Minoxidil in whatever concentrations suit you. If it still doesn't stop after 6 months, then you should consult a dermatologist.

JCC05

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
My Mom passed away last December. My hair was falling out in clumps and extremely thin. I went to the Dr. three times, my blood work came back all good. Was diagnosed with chronic Telegan Effluvium, it's very noticeable on the crown and my part in the back is very wide. I am going to see a dermatologist in February. I still have not grown my hair back, very little in the front. Will it ever grow back? As anyone experienced their hair not growing back for this long? Im worried to try the Rogaine until I see the Dr. In February.
Thank you

VJ6

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would stay away from Rogaine unless you're sure your condition is genetic. Telogen Effluvium can take some time to subside, so a better option is to wait it out. Rogaine induces a monstrous shed (not for everyone) which is a giant pain in the butt with all the other stuff we endure with hair problems.