Question for NON-dutasteride users

Felk

Reaction score
You're probably right if that's what happened with finasteride.

The age of the test subjects is still a very important point, which almost always seems to be forgotten when I see these discussions, and the guy did ask for reasons why people choose not to take it.

Not bashing dutasteride, it seems to work for me even at once a week. though it's giving me breast pain and the beginnings of gyno i fear.

G

For being honest I don´t know why I am not on dutasteride. Probably a mixture of various reasons.

I said to myself that I would give finasteride one year before adding any major weapon. I am also a little bit worried about all these reports of heavy frontal shedding. I know, they don´t make sense but they scare me nevertheless. The frontal area is the most difficult one to treat and i want to hold it at any price. Larger risk of sides and unknow longterm effects play a minor role as well.

Sean68

Reaction score
i was gonna ask if you were considering switching tauge. i was worried about the frontal thing as well but it hasnt affected me. think youre right to give it a year. howcome you dont use any topicals? just inconvenience?
they do give you a bit of peace of mind as youre doing something sort of 'tangible' if you know what i mean.

G

I don´t use topicals for almost the same reason. I wanted to give finasteride one year and I am worried about shedding by Rogaine. I know it probably grows back but my nerves couldn´t deal with becoming even thinner on top. At the moment I still have a lot to lose since I can pass as non baldy for the average person but what if minoxidil is going to rape my hair? The truth is I am just a little coward. :freaked:

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Taken from the Avodart website compiled from the official FDA study done for Avodart for BPH at .5mg dosage :

05fpotentialsideeffectsyw6.gif

05bdhtinhibition01jy9.gif

As you can see the statistics appear to indicate adverse effects are reported less frequently as time goes on. If you make it through the first 6 months or so things look fairly good statistically...

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
H2O i like your avatar and your regimen i hope your seeing some results

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Roki,

Back at 'ya...I see we share the same appreciation for Alex Grey. :)

As far as results...yes...although it's too early to know how far my positive results will go (3 months into foam and really 2 months since switching to Avodart...I will make a 6 month assessment when the time arrives) I already see the frontal hairline beginning to thicken with larger diameter growth and some new growth as well. I also see the crown starting to fill in.

Things look right on track. Shook of the initial shed and have already received unsolicited compliments from people saying my hair looks thick and "so healthy lately". I don't tell people I am on a hair loss regimen...dont see the point...so those compliments are that much more "impartial" and validating.

I just decided to stick with the "Big 4" (incl. Tricomin) and do so religiously for one year without fail. I can see it working and I'm looking forward to see how this solid regimen will fully play out....

How's things with yours going?

p.s. - For those who are wondering...no adverse sides on Avodart thus far at all....libido very strong...no gyno...no extra body fat...nothing else noticable except continued steady positive results with the regimen

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
this dutasteride hostile thread isnt the best place for it but in short -
stopped the foam for a week lost all gains now back on it dont do the same mistake
dutasteride aint done nothing yet , it has been only 3 months and im still optimistic

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I made a commitment to the foam and know it's a lifetime one. I figure once I get the results I am satisfied with I will decrease to either 1x per day or 1x EOD just for maintenance....I can live with that and from what I've read that should be enough to maintain w/o pushing for regrowth.

Keep with it Roki...and best of luck !!

G

Hey guys,

I might start the rogaine foam myself actually in August after giving dutasteride a full year. I know it's a lifetime commitment but I do want a full head of hair again so no pain no gain.

I'm still unhappy with my diffusion in the front so I figure I would apply the foam there twice a day and along the hairline as well, to see if I can get the temples back a bit as well.

I've heard that it's tough to apply the foam to dense areas of hair. What do you guys think from your experience? Because I don't have any real bald spots in front, just a general thinness going back about 3 inches behind the hairline

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Hey guys,

I might start the rogaine foam myself actually in August after giving dutasteride a full year. I know it's a lifetime commitment but I do want a full head of hair again so no pain no gain.

I'm still unhappy with my diffusion in the front so I figure I would apply the foam there twice a day and along the hairline as well, to see if I can get the temples back a bit as well.

I've heard that it's tough to apply the foam to dense areas of hair. What do you guys think from your experience? Because I don't have any real bald spots in front, just a general thinness going back about 3 inches behind the hairline

Its very hard to apply to dense areas, im mainly using it along the front of the hairline. I try to apply it in areas where there is still a bit of hair but its very hard to get it on the scalp properly. However, if I start to lose those areas, itll get easier :lol:

As for dutasteride, well, im paranoid enough about sides on finasteride without upping my paranoia a few percent. Plus, I havnt been on finasteride long so ill just wait and see

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Hey guys,

again that's not the best thread for it but if its hijacd its hijackd....
its shouldnt be so hard to put in areas with hair(that's what ive been told)
actually it was designed for that you just have to get the point
anyway jayman i understand you having a full head of hair is important for being fully attractive its one more thing on the face that can look nice.
when you have a full head of hair and you take care of your face you can look so youthfull

H2O

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Hey guys,

Hey Jayman...I have not had a problem with it...especially at the hairline. I just kinda smear it into the front hairline all the way across. It does get on your hair but I have found, once it dries, it actually helps with the cosmetic appearance of my hair in that it appears a bit thicker. In fact because of that I have ceased to use styling product. I just use a combo of the Foam residue and after that's dried, some Tricomin spray. when both dry (it leaves my hair a bit stiff) I just mess my hair up a bit to soften it up and it looks full and actually has some hold so I can shape it a bit.

Bottom line...yes you have to use a bit more foam because of the extra that sits on your hair, but I don't mind that at all for the reasons stated above. I tend to use 1 to 1.5 capfulls...and that's saturating the scalp all over the crown and front. I have experienced no sides (racing heart, etc) using this amount. I imagine there might also be some benefit to not having styling product sit on my scalp as I used to use a sort of pomade/paste type product. You shouldn't have any major issues and if you want to maximize your results it might be a smart move depending on what your results are after a year...as usual, best of luck !!

p.s. - sorry about continuing to hijack this thread !! :hairy:

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
Take care guys...

Because most of you say that there is no research about dutas long side effects. BUT, there is also no research about Propecia long time side effects. Because nowadays there are just a few guys who have been taking Propecia for more than 10 years, just a few... We will start seeeing the real picture in 2020 maybe. And for then, there will be other drugs, treatments or surgeries.

Cheers.